To fry or not to fry (Thanksgiving turkey)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by PeteG45, Nov 27, 2008.

1. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

We've been frying our turkeys for years. Even after an excruciating spill two years ago we went right back to it last year.

Small crowd this year so we're going to roast a turkey breast that's sitting in a brine right now.

What's your plan for this year?

2. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

why all this talk of thanksgiving now... thanksgiving's long past (yeah, I know we have it all "wrong" up here!)

3. Bloodtoes

Bloodtoes Strat-Talker

MMmm back in October we had roast turkey. Yum!

4. Bangbang

Bangbang Senior Stratmaster

WE had roast turkey but I would rather have a good Pork Roast with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy...then Pecan Pie.

5. smsuryan

smsuryan Strat-Talker

the biggest complaint with turkey is that it gets so dry after its out of the oven, try this...stuff the bird with a cut up onion, then maybe 3-4 chopped apples (moisture), then shove another chopped up onion in there to sandwich the apples and add some flavor...then SMOKE the bird...your family will ask you the recipe, then you will have to lie to them and say "i just threw it together" as they enviously try to decode your perfectly cooked bird.....

6. Bangbang

Bangbang Senior Stratmaster

I smoked a 16 pounder in my smoker and it was the best turkey I have ever had. Never wanted to fry one however I hear they are good. I smoke my pork roasts sometimes too and they are better than the turkey.

7. cloner

cloner Strat-Talk Member

My favorite way for turkey. Two rules- never in an enclosure and with a truly thawed(Hmmm - 3 rules) turkey, determine displacement with water to prevent spillover of oil into the flame.mt

8. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

I've kind of given up on the measure the displacement method. I use a 13 lb bird with about 3 1/4 gallons of oil. If the bird is a little over I use a little less if it's a little under I use a little more. Once the bird is in the bath I add oil to correct the level. The burner is so hot that a little oil added at the last minute has no negative impact.

We roasted this year and I was not happy. Next time I fry!

9. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

Smsuryan

Last year for Christmas we did a butterflied pork loin that was stuffed with chopped apples and onions plus a little sage then rolled up like a jelly roll. Incredible. I can only imagine how well that would work stuffed into a turkey.