1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

To Hardtail or not to Hardtail

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jackobeam, Jun 25, 2020.

1. pblanton

pblanton Strat-Talk Member

Unless you prefer the look and feel of a Strat. Telecasters are nice; I own two, but it's a cutting board with a neck. A Strat on the other hand, is curvy, and sexy and smooth, and ... what was I saying? :rolleyes:

2. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

At your age
    Anything
    Your little heart desires...
    You have 40-50 years to correct it...

Jesse414 and Jackobeam like this.
  3. BuddyGuy

BuddyGuy Strat-Talker

The answer to this question is easy. Just ask yourself who the best guitarist is and does he use a hardtail. Since the best guitarist is Robert Cray and he uses a hardtail, you can get one or two of his signature models.

4. driesenries

driesenries New Member!

I own a 74 hardtail. Super lightweight (3.1kg!!!!) and all original except a refret job. I also own a stock AV62ri with a blocked trem and an old 1000x modified and refinished Japanese reissue with ali-express/china pickguard, pickups, electronics and a blocked trem. They all sound like strat! However, the Japanese sounds close to a real vintage 50-ies strat and the AV62ri as a very modern strat hahaha.
    The 74 Hardtail is a different story. Vintage but FAT. By far the best of 3 in both sound and playability.The other two are for giging, but the hardtail is for studio work and promotional work. IMG_0621.jpg IMG_1908.jpg IMG_1960.jpg

3bolt79 and Jesse414 like this.
  5. Jackobeam

Jackobeam Strat-Talker

What a great answer!

3bolt79 and Jesse414 like this.
  6. Gregorski

Gregorski Strat-Talker

Asked my question before I saw the colours. I love lake placid blue and based On these pics I’d take that. Sunburst is boring for me. I also love metallic Sherwood green but that guitar isn’t quite the shade of Sherwood green that I’ve seen On others. A nice Sherwood green with mint guard and rosewood is awesome. I think this one is faded Sherwood green

Jackobeam likes this.
  7. Jackobeam

Jackobeam Strat-Talker

all rosewood.

8. Gregorski

Gregorski Strat-Talker

If the Sherwood green looked like this then I’d choose that over the blue

12800C0F-2751-4BC1-91EB-6E1C54ECFC12.jpeg

9. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talk Member

I'm not sure that a strat with a hardtail is really a strat.

brians likes this.
  10. andiemac

andiemac Strat-Talk Member

The Stratocaster Tremolo is one of the best things about it! It's easy to set-up, just follow the link below for excellent instructions. If you don't have a tremolo, you don't really have a Stratocaster capable of it's incredible range of sounds. Can't imagine why you would want a hardtail ever!

Jesse414 likes this.
  11. andiemac

andiemac Strat-Talk Member

Here's why you shouldn't buy a hardtail custom shop: This is my latest Strat.... (I've retired my '54 which my son will inherit:) It's a Warmoth body (tobacco sunburst ash just like my '54), Warmoth roasted maple neck (never needs finish and plays like a dream), Callaham Tremolo Bridge,(with the medium tremolo bar and set-up in the style of Carl Verheyen) Hipshot locking tuners and a pickup set from Vintage Vibe Guitars (I ordered mine already installed in the pickguard)…if you can’t assemble and adjust everything yourself, find a guitar tech (they’re everywhere…this is my road guitar (along with an identical Telecaster with the same components except it’s equipped with standard HOT! Tele pickups with a 5-way switch from Vintage Vibe)easily the hottest most versatile pair of guitars I’ve ever owned, and I’ve played just about everything… no photo of the Tele…. and Frudua has an excellent tremolo set-up video:

Attached Files:

Jesse414 likes this.
  12. mark1406

mark1406 Strat-Talk Member

Hardtail Strats are underrated. They do have a different timbre to my ear than Strats with the vibrato bridge.

I think they have advantages such as staying in tune better, you have screw the arm in and out when using the guitar, none of the issues such as replacing blocks with brass or vintage correct.

Ultimately which one sounds the best both acoustically and electrically?

Regards

Mark

tinkertoy and Jesse414 like this.
  13. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-O-Master

Just my two cents, but I have “blocked” the two squires that I have, and to my ear, I think that the resonance on both has been greatly enhanced. I use my fingers solely for bending all over the place and historically I’ve had very little bar usage, but I understand that I’m a little it of an anomaly in that regard.

Jesse414 likes this.
  14. Greg_Delta

Greg_Delta Strat-Talk Member

Hardtail

Something happens to the sound when you route out that wood for that trem....

15. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

I'd go for the trem and probably deck it, in any finish other than sunburst (which I think is boring-ugly and way overdone, except for the Sienna SB).

(I have a '76 hardtail and 3 trem Strats. Trem is decked on them, but there if I want it.) There may be a slightly more "springy" tone from the Strats with trems, but the difference is not very noticeable.

Jesse414 likes this.
  16. espyhop

espyhop Strat-Talker

I’d try a hardtail first, if possible, before dropping a lot of money on it. I tried the RC Strat and really didn’t like it. I also have a Nashville parts Tele that I primarily use for stage use that almost gets semi-decent Strat tones, but I rarely use the Strat positions on that.

IME, the tremolo is an essential part of the classic Strat sound. Even unplugged, it’s easy to hear how the tremolo plays into the overall sound.

Jesse414 likes this.
  17. kdines

kdines Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

Ha - nicely done! I’m a big Robert Cray fan and hope I finally get to see him in concert after being rescheduled to November (Coronavirus).

Jesse414 likes this.
  18. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

I don't think I'd call them afterthoughts as they were released from the beginning... starting in 1954. Low-production, sure. The trem was one of the big selling points of a new Strat, but Leo knew there would also be a market for a hardtail.
    I, like many other hardtail owners that have commented here, find little tonal difference between our hardtails and equivalent tremolo guitars... just Stratty goodness without a trem.
    :)

Jesse414 likes this.
  19. adrianb

adrianb Strat-Talk Member

My Squier with a 6-screw bridge easily goes out of tune with moderate (up/down a semitone) bar usage, so i just use it for gentle vibrato. Stays in tune that way and i get the benefits of a vibrato bridge. I don't think Leo Fender ever meant for the traditional 6-screw bridge to divebomb anyway -- without tuning issues, that is.

Hey those screws look interesting! Have you tried installing those in a Strat with the stock bridge?

Jesse414 likes this.
  20. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Realistically..i dont think it matters that much....i like hardtails more and if they are not i block them but you can set up your strat to float just as well....i personally dont find a use for it though.....unless you make a conscious effort to use it in order to make cool licks that require its presence....99.9999 percent of the time all i see is folks ....wiggling it randomly just cause its there.....that makes it lose its appeal pretty damn fast at least for me.The tone of the strat doesnt suffer or thrive with it existing or not....thats for sure.

Jesse414 likes this.