To sell or not to sell?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by ussfcoach, Jun 4, 2021.

1. NTC

NTC Strat-Talk Member

I think you have to force yourself - leave one guitar out at a time for at least a week. Play things that are suited to that guitar. Play it with all the different pickup settings and play with different amps (if you have them). Use different volume and tone settings. Do this for a few months, then see what you want to do. And forget about the "Pro" vs. "Pro II" issue - it is mostly marketing to make you wish you had the latest thing. Sounds like it worked...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  2. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

I’m not a Gibson fan either, don’t like the look or feel.

3. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster

Sorry, it’s.........not my wall!

4. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Sometimes you just don't bond with a guitar, no matter how good an instrument it is. Best to move on and find that one that's right for you.

Nadnitram likes this.
  5. fender blender

fender blender Strat-Talk Member

Time for an R9..

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  6. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

To each his own. If a Strat doesn't fit your musical tastes or playing style then there's probably not much sense keeping it around. But I personally like having different options. I have 10 guitars in my collection and each one is unique (no duplicates). There are some that I like more than others. But overall I like having the variety rather than owning multiple copies of the same guitar.

7. donnyrocker

donnyrocker Strat-Talk Member

Don't let your gear own you.

8. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy Strat-Talk Member

Probably sound like a cork sniffer here but if you were to get a good Les Paul with a long neck tenon (Custom shop?) and a good Strat with nitro finish (anywhere from a Roadworn to an American reissue to a Custom shop model) you'll probably want to keep them both. 2 different flavors that will cover a lot of ground.

9. gmayfield58

gmayfield58 New Member!

The first Les Paul I ever had was this one. I bought it for around $600 new. It is a 2010 Les Paul Fadded Studio. It is the best Les Paul I ever played. It was so good, I thought well the Strandards and Traditionals etc, must be even better. So I traded it in for this LP and then traded that one for another LP. Probably owne 8 other LP's. None did I ever like better than this first one. I just sold my last standard and bought a beat up 2010 LP Fadded for $800 no where near mint. I have to replace all the plastic which is gone. But I can already tell I will like this old LP fadded better than any of those other more expensive LP's. The Fadded are light weight fell great play great with Burstbuckers you get all the LP sounds in a guitar that doesn't look so fancy but is a great fine mucial instrument. So when you find the ones you like keep them. DSCI0022.JPG

10. ussfcoach

ussfcoach New Member!

The neck has a satin finish and is a little more round. I love my standard but not a huge fan of binding on the neck/fretboard. The tribute doesn’t have this binding.

Middle Earth likes this.
  11. Middle Earth

Middle Earth Strat-Talker

Ok. Difficult choice.

12. mattier303

mattier303 Strat-Talk Member

Before you sell your Stratocaster watch this

13. Rooster-p

Rooster-p Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a tribute and I wouldn't sell it. I have a dozen guitars and wouldn't sell any. I have an epi '56 gold top with mojotone quiet coil p90's that I put in it and it is probably the best playing and sounding guitar I have. It was made in Korea in 2008 and all I can say is that they had some killer QC at the factory it came out of cause it's perfect. I got lucky on that one and got it off reverb no less.

14. mazzolar59

mazzolar59 Strat-Talker Silver Member

Welcome to the forum. If you don’t play it, then either sell it; give it to someone special; or donate it. Guitars are made for one purpose only; to be played.

15. Guitar guy 57

Guitar guy 57 Strat-Talk Member

Change pickgaurd to 2 humbuckers,or put single coil size humbuckers in it,LP sound, Fender coolness,and if you dont like it,solder 3 wires to make original again,trade for LP your diggin on. Hell,even change caps,change sound

16. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

WELLLLL sometimes they are wall art but not a pro series....SELL

soulman969 likes this.
  17. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

soulman969 likes this.
  18. Doc538

Doc538 Strat-Talker

Howard Johnson's grandson opened a guitar store, just like grandad he only sells necks. ( ok so very old reference to HJ clam rolls)

19. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Get a Tele.

20. ussfcoach

ussfcoach New Member!

Update - well, I traded the strat off today for a 2011 Gibson Les Paul Studio. It was a tough decision but it just came down to the fact that I didn’t play it. I traded it to a working musician which I am pretty happy about, and got a gorgeous like new LP studio in perfect condition. I was kind of glad it ended up going in a trade. I am not sure I would have used the money to buy another guitar.