Join Strat-Talk Today

to tube or not to tube

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Loner71, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

No, not modelling, just really good analogue solid state amps. I think you would really like the Mini 101 for what you do.

Thrup'ny Bit, JB74 and davidKOS like this.
  2. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

My back loved me when I started using a Katana 100. It is not a tube amp by any stretch. It delivers what I need for pub jamming.

JB74, davidKOS, Cerb and 1 other person like this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

You don't tell us much about what style of music and where you will be using the amp most. A five watt tube amp can drive your housemates out at 8+ on the volume, but that is where it works best.
    I have a 30 watt tube amp and almost never get the full benefit unless I'm playing a good sized bar. At home I get a bit more use of my Vox valvetronix AD30VT with the attenuator circuit on the back. My solid state Fenders see more action than any of the others because they are simple to use and 100% reliable.

davidKOS likes this.
  4. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talker

I bought a used Carvin Bel Air 50 watt 2 X 12" tube combo amp about 10 years ago and it's the only guitar amp I have. It works for everything and sounds perfect for me. It and other good tube amps have a 3 dimensional depth to their tone that is hard to describe.

[​IMG]

5. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Tube amps have their place. I like tubes, my Bassman gets this lovely warm creaminess to the sound when it's turned up (with an attenuator of course; I play at home) and I've never heard anything like that from solid state.

Solid State has its place too--and its place is making things loud without coloring or modifying the sound very much. It's not as though all sound turns to poo if it touches solid state. All venue PA systems are solid state, so are all car stereos and virtually all home stereo systems. And virtually all bass amps--at least the ones over 300w.

Also, there's a lot right with the idea of a tube preamp into a solid state power amp. That may be the best of both worlds.

Biddlin and davidKOS like this.
  6. davidKOS

davidKOS still at it Strat-Talk Supporter

Or the way the SuperChamp XD has a digital preamp and modeling but tube power amp; for me that's a great combination.

7. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-O-Master

If you haven’t tried a tube amp by all means try one. Like guitars every amp sounds different. Don’t pay too much attention to what others recommend. Only you know the sound that’s in your head. Try as many different amps as you can. You will most likely go through a few before you find your sound. Once you’ve found your sound be prepared to find it again when it sours.

8. jack mccarthy

jack mccarthy Strat-Talk Member

After moving from a Peavey Backstage Plus to a Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special, I'll never go back to solid state!

Solid state is great for a loud clean sound like a PA system or in my case starting out, using a multi-effects pedal with a cheap solid state amp.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Miotch and davidKOS like this.
  9. dbolt

dbolt Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

I like tubes but I’m in no danger of playing faster the rectifier. :p

Miotch and davidKOS like this.
  10. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

I wanted one of these so bad when I was 13 and drooling over every guitar catalog I could get my hands on.

BuddyHollywood and Miotch like this.
  11. davidKOS

Even if you decide on using SS, modeling, whatever amp, how can you possibly know how to set a versatile but soulless-on-its-own non-tube amp when you want it to sound like all the different types of tube amps if you have not played on them, or at best listened to a lot of music made on such amps?

I use a lot of non-tube amps. I set them to sound like the tube amps I liked, mostly simple Fender BF and SF clean tones.

I rarely use factory presets without drastic tweaks.

Thrup'ny Bit, s5tuart and Kerry Brown like this.
  12. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Imho
    There are some solid state amps that sound better than some tube amps.

But if you set aside some of the practical considerations ( volume, weight, size)..... a great tube amp will always beat a great solid state amp.

More clearly, the best tube offerings smoke the best solid state offerings.

Miotch, circles and davidKOS like this.
  13. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Tube, always tube.

14. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

This is the intranet David, opinions slowly become facts become end of world serious if you don't adhere. Get with the program! :D

davidKOS likes this.
  15. Loner71

Loner71 Strat-Talk Member

Mostly blues and rock, sometimes a little heavy with occasional effects and mostly at home.

16. davidKOS

The very original 70's Peavey Backstage amps were a decent cheap small reliable SS amp - mine STILL works. Later models were more complex and less satisfactory.

I also have played on a Yamaha G-100 III head that is one of the great SS amps of all time. If you have never played a really high grade solid state amp and only cheap "bedroom" models, you don't have a real basis of comparison, particularly if it is against your Mesa! fine amps.

That said, the Yamaha G series amps were designed to imitate tube amps...not the other way around :p:sneaky:

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  17. davidKOS

You have double-blind tested this hypothesis, right? ;)

At least you've played through EVERY high grade tube and SS amps and done an honest comparison by recording yourself in a wide variety of genres?

Or, more clearly, is this your personal opinion? I'm teasing, not thrashing you. :p:D

Now, for you, this may be true, but I bet you have not played all the great SS amps.

Please read this excellent article on SS amps:

http://www.thatraymond.com/downloads/solidstate_guitar_amplifiers_teemu_kyttala_v1.0.pdf

Teemu Kyttälä - Solid-State Guitar Amplifiers

rocknrollrich, Cerb and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  18. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

The worms are multiplying...

19. circles

circles humaniod life form Strat-Talk Supporter

Tubes are good, m'kay?

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. circles

circles humaniod life form Strat-Talk Supporter

Digital amps are 'apps'.

3bolt79 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.