Today marks our 41st wedding anniversary!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SoulSurfer, Sep 16, 2020.

1. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-Talker

Today marks our 41st wedding anniversary! We've actually been together 46+ years (yup we lived in sin). Settle back and enjoy the read. This might take a while.

Our lives were a bit like the Claude Lelouche movie, "Toute Une Vie", as our story had a very funny start where after meeting Bonnie at a new year party in 1973, I declared to my close mates that I could never date her as she was really not my type of gal. In fact I recall declaring emphatically that if we two were the last survivors to a planetary cataclysm and the fate of the human race depended on us, well, humanity would be in real trouble. What a chauvinist moron I was then, LOL.

Fast forward about a year and she went from plain to a total babe, with a lot of sass, but I didn’t know that. I'll never forget when and how we "first" met, the "second time". I was riding my bicycle home and feeling down because I got dumped by a girlfriend. I somehow rode past some tennis courts in Montreal West, when I came across my friend Carol who was playing tennis with a really pretty friend. We chatted up for a bit and rode to the Orange Julep on Decarie where we had some OJ’s and chatted a bit more until eventually all parting ways. I thought nothing more.

A few weeks later our homephone rang (land line at the time y'all). It was Bonnie. “Bonnie who?”, I answered. That’s when she reminded me how and where we met at the tennis courts. It seemed that someone had stolen the back wheel of her bicycle while she was at the pool with her friend Joelle. Her friend Carol had told her to call me because I had my dad’s car, and that she should not date me because I wasn’t the serious type. She asked if I help her get her bike home. Of course, I would, not remembering who she was at the time. We ended up taking a detour and going downtown to Casa Pedro, where she ordered a glass of milk. I normally might have ordered a beer, but I went with milk also.

After spending a couple of hours at the trattoria, I quickly realized the substance and depth of the person in front of me and we soon starting dating. I think it was the sass which got to me. She just wasn't a back-seat driver to her life, but clearly in charge. There is nothing more attractive in a person, than a one with conviction, drive, motivation and a big heart, which Bonne has in abundance. I also distinctly recall telling my mom that “I had met the person I would spend the rest of my life with”. That was one mighty big statement. Little did I know that I would be “eating crow”, eventually. Sidenote – I later found out that Bonnie had told her mother the same thing that night as well.

As the summer progressed, I had originally planned on going to Wildwood, NJ with my best mates when I had a change of mind. I could not let her get away as “she was the one”. Through sheer serendipity, Bonnie showed up at the MacDonald’s parking lot where I was wishing my friends a safe trip. After the introductions, Bonnie turned to my friend Charlie and asked, “Did you have a New Year party at your place in 73 and do you live on Carlton Street?”. When Charlie answered “Yes”, Bonnie replied that she had attended. Well we were all a bit stunned as we didn’t recall her. It seemed that she had been the blind date of a guy named Jay. Looking very awkward at the time, SHE was the very person whom I declared to my friends and the universe, that Mankind would be in trouble if we were the last two survivors and we needed to repopulate the planet. I was so shocked that I exclaimed, “You were the dog with Jay?”, to which she replied “Woof-woof”. The universe had won.

Moral: Never make an oath to the universe – it has a wicked sense of humour. All these years later and so many adventures together, Bonnie has been the ONE to always push me to be all that I can and I the same, for her.

So, I raise a glass of her fave bevvy (Aperol Spritz) to honour her and being in each other’s corners. “Here’s to the next 41, Beebo”.

Peace out - JP

62172036157__12C078E9-BD67-4053-9B04-1A12B4360155.fullsizerender.jpeg

2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

Congrats and happy anniversary

SoulSurfer and Stratafied like this.
  3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Cheers

SoulSurfer likes this.
  4. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Beautiful story. I hope she has read this.

Congrats man. I didn't make it past 5yr.

SoulSurfer likes this.
  5. fos1

fos1 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Congratulations! What a wonderful story and marriage.

SoulSurfer likes this.
  6. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-Talker

That's a really cool story. What a romantic turn of events. I am happy for you both. Congrats!

7. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Happy anniversary to you both!

8. xland

xland Senior Stratmaster

Congratulations and happy anniversary!!

SoulSurfer likes this.
  9. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

Congrats! Lisa and I will also celebrate 41 years in October.

10. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

That’s a beautiful thing.

SoulSurfer and jtoomuch like this.
  11. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Happy Anniversary!
    Nothing quite like having the universe teach you that "Miss Right" has a middle name called "always".

I enjoyed the story. woof woof. I guess you learned your lesson through public humiliation. ;)

Well, enough to recant in good humour means you obviously learned a lot more...

I bet she is ALWAYS right too.
    I know my S.O. is, but I don't let her know that. I'd like to keep what little vanity and dignity I have, left.

:D

SoulSurfer likes this.
  12. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-o-hackster Silver Member

Good for you man, that’s a long time! Rare that people have the patience and commitment anymore. Within the next 2 weeks it will be our 35th.

SoulSurfer and myredstrat like this.
  13. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

congrats!
    My wife and I have been together about 34 years, it only feels like 41;)
    By the way, going to the Orange Julep without a car is pretty ballsy, that's where all the souped up muscle cars used to hang out. I wouldn't go there with my mom's Vauxhall Viva, the shame.
    Congrats again, here's to another 41 years together! :)

SoulSurfer and Deafsoundguy like this.
  14. Gridlock

Gridlock Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Congratulations, that is quite an achievement!

SoulSurfer likes this.
  15. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

Congrats and many happy returns.

SoulSurfer likes this.
  16. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-Talker

Thank you all. Ya, she's "all that and a bag of chips" as they say. Were it not for her, I would never had returned to the guitar at age 40. AND, I have all these guitars thanks to her too! All 10 guitars and 2 amps!

But all GAS aside, she is still the one true friend and companion I want to travel the world with.

17. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Congratulations!!! Mrs. Believer and I just had our 7th a couple months ago and though your and my stories are completely different we both found the same kind of woman, it seems. Wishing you many more anniversaries together.

SoulSurfer likes this.
  18. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Good for you. My story is a little different.

SoulSurfer likes this.
  19. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    Happy anniversary!

SoulSurfer likes this.
  20. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Congrats!

SoulSurfer likes this.