Join Strat-Talk Today

Tokai club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by felis, May 9, 2014.

1. nick1994

nick1994 Strat-Talker

that looks MIJ, the truss rod cover has 2 screws for MIJ and 3 for MIC and MIK.

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, mine is one of the MIJ models. The ones we see for sale at quite cheap prices on eBay are almost certainly Chinese, & I'm sure it's the same in the US. nick1994 is quite right about the TRC screws, though I replaced the TRC on mine with a Gibson type. Apart from that it's all stock, but with a phase switch on a push/pull pot.

Mine is the one with a nitro top coat over a poly base coat, though, to be honest, it doesn't feel much different to the poly coats Tokai use on their cheaper MIJ models. It's certainly made out of some impressive looking pieces of wood.

I always said that if I ever got a 335 it would be a natural finish, dot neck, like the '59 I saw Dave Edmunds play so often. I bought it from a guy an hour's drive away, & when I got in the car to drive home & turned on the radio, there was Dave Edmunds doing a 1 hour interview! Strange coincidence.....

I'm ashamed to admit that I rarely play it. When I pick up a guitar it's nearly always a Strat or a Tele. :oops:

[​IMG]

3. The Apostle

The Apostle Strat-O-Master

So what is everyone's opinion of the modern day Tokai Traditional line of guitars that are MIC???

I've been up close to a couple of LP ALS-48's that I thought were better quality than an Epiphone LP.

4. nick1994

nick1994 Strat-Talker

I've played a couple mic les pauls and they were pretty good, better than most epiphones I've tried. Overall, they seem pretty good, though most people upgrade them anyways so if that's what you're planning, you can't go wrong.

5. stratman323

I haven't tried the new MIC Tokais but friends who have speak highly of them. Same with the Burnys. If I was in the market for any Epiphone, I would see if I could get a comparable Tokai or Burny instead, not least because I hate the Epi headstock.

I did have one of the Korean LS48s a few years, which was nice. I sold it to a mate to used to gig several times a week with his Gibson LP. He loves the Tokai, & it immediately became his no. 1 gigging guitar. He replaced the bridge pickup with a tapped SD JB Jnr.

6. The Apostle

The Apostle Strat-O-Master

I want to get one in vintage flame...

[​IMG]

Bikerdude2 likes this.
  7. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself Senior Stratmaster

I am drooling. Love the darkness of the mahogany neck and how it meets the body. Just lovely.

8. stratman323

Yeah it is beautifully made. I honestly wouldn't swap this for a Gibson.

9. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

A teaser: something very special (to me) coming up within the next few weeks! :p

10. RJBoone

RJBoone Strat-Talk Member

I have a 1997 CIJ Strat that looks like a Tokai natural ash. I've always wanted a Breezy Sound, but they are so high now!

11. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

1997 is the year Tokai started making some of the CIJ, not?

12. stratman323

I believe it was in the 90s, I'm not sure about any more detail than that. Unless someone else knows?

13. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Soon to arrive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finalprospec likes this.
  14. stratman323

Ooooh! :) ST100, very rare. So this should have a one piece body, so they say?

That's very unusual figuring of the maple on the back of the neck isn't it? I don't think I've ever seen one quite like that. Very nice.

Bought from Japan? Please tell me it wasn't bought from Germany. :neutral:

15. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Yes, it should have. ;)

Flamed Canadian maple.

’Fraid so.
    I’m aware of the discussion concerning togps/Gottfried, but I don’t know what really happened, since I wasn’t a member at that time. All I know is what I’ve read about it afterwards, still I acted upon the opinions from TF. But after a highly recommended(on TF) dealer let me down, I contacted Gottfried.
    To me Gottfried has always been correct and helpful and even provided extra’s without being asked for. I also saw and spoke to him personally, meeting him made me look at it from a different perspective.
    My conclusion is, I’d rather buy from a salesman who uses all means to protect (or monopolize) his business against competition, but is fair to his customers. Instead of dealing with an apparently friendly salesman who doesn’t keep his promises and rips me off.

And like you say, they’re very rare, not many chances to find or buy one.

16. stratman323

There have been questions about honesty before, but I won't go into that here. Glad to hear he was good to buy from, I hope he doesn't give you too much hassle if you decide to sell it.....

17. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Fair enough, so we're good?

18. stratman323

Of course we're good. You're free to buy from whoever you choose. And congratulations on owning one of the nicest Tokais I've ever seen. :D

V neck?

19. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Great.

Should be, I was specifically looking for a "V" neck, because my Breezys "V" has a great feel. I hope the ST has a similar feel.

20. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Thank you. That means a lot, coming from you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.