Join Strat-Talk Today

Tokai club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by felis, May 9, 2014.

1. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Some more showing off. :p ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prasanth likes this.
  2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Who knows? It's a Tokai!

My 1980 ST80 has a V neck even though it has a rosewood board - which is completely "vintage wrong". So I assume that the high end maple board examples have the V neck too. I guess we'll find out soon - when are you expecting it?

3. stratman323

Well yeah, I was actually thinking about your new guitar yesterday, so it must have made an impression on me.

4. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Right. :D

My rosewood board Breezy:

[​IMG]

I 've read that maple (board) necks have a bit more pronounced "V", and are a little chunkier?

Should arrive begin December.

5. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

For comparison:

[​IMG]

6. stratman323

I really don't know. I tend to avoid maple boards as I don't like the feel compared to rosewood. But what I was thinking yesterday was that I might be able to cope with something as nice as your ST100 - I would certainly give it a go! Though I would be worried about the gold plating wearing off if I dared to play it.

Both my TE70 & my TE120 (I assume that's what it is, it was "Fenderised" by it's former owner in Japan) have rounded backs to their necks.

7. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Whenever you're near Antwerp, you're welcome to try it out.

8. stratman323

I'll bear that in mind if I'm ever over there. Thank you.

9. little_wing

little_wing Strat-Talker

Hey guys, I need a bit if advice on a few tokai strats I'm looking at. First is a 70s springy sound st60 which is gonna be around 1k. I'm in Australia by the way. Second is a silver star ss60 which is around 800 and the third is a 1980 ss48 which is under 500 at the moment. I know the st60 would be the go but I think it's just out of my price range. Would the silver stars both be good options? Currently I have 2 mim studs and a cv50. The cv is an incredible guitar and I love the vintage feel so I really want a mij strat

10. stratman323

One problem with the cheaper Silver Stars is that they come with those awful trapezoid shaped tuners, which are almost universally hated on here. This applies to the SS36/38/40. It doesn't apply to the SS60 (I have one) which has these tuners which work well.

[​IMG]

I don't know what sort of tuners an SS48 has - in fact I don't even know how an SS48 differs from an SS40 or SS60. Do you have any pics of them?

From my dim & distant memory I seem to recall that there were two types of SS60 made in the early 80s. Mine is the more common type with the 3 bolt neck join & bullet truss rod. I believe there was also an SS60 with the 4 bolt neck join & no bullet.

Given the choice I would prefer to have the Springy, & it will probably hold it's value better. But an SS60 is a nice guitar, well made, & it should do just what you want. The neck on my SS60 is slightly fatter than the rather slim necks on the cheaper Silver Stars.

I hope this helps?

This is my SS60, & the article here

http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/Andrew Munro Article-July2008.pdf

is well worth reading. Good luck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. little_wing

little_wing Strat-Talker

Thanks, very helpful. I'll try get some pics of the 48. It was 3 bolt and bullet trussrod too

12. little_wing

little_wing Strat-Talker

That's the ss48. How would either rather 48 or 60 compare to my mim stds? I'm also looking at a greco Matsumoko 70s strat and a 70s fernandes burny strat. I have no idea what I should be going for!

Attached Files:

13. stratman323

How do we know it's an SS48? Is there a 48 sticker on it, like there is at the base of the neck of my SS60? Any pics of the tuners & the pickups?

One problem is that many Tokais have been butchered over the years by owners who thought "it's just a cheap old Japanese guitar", so you have to look out for switched parts, extra routing etc. One advantage of any 3 bolt Strat is that they are harder to swap necks & bodies over, as there aren't that many 3 bolt necks or bodies available on eBay.

Are you buying from Japan?

14. little_wing

little_wing Strat-Talker

I'm buying from Australia. The seller says its 100% original. The 48 is apparently like a 36 but it has grey bottom pickups and better hardware

Attached Files:

15. stratman323

Even the cheaper Silver Stars seem to come with grey bottomed alnico pickups, which is strange as the cheapest Goldstars have ceramic pickups.

Those tuners look the same as the ones on my SS60, so they should be OK. As long as it IS all original under the scratchplate, that could be a good buy. A 1980 means it's from the second year of Silver Star production.

I have no idea about guitar prices in Oz though.

16. little_wing

little_wing Strat-Talker

Mim standards brand new are around 650 here. Can I expect this to be better than my mim's?

17. stratman323

Define "better". It's very hard to answer questions like that. Personally I dislike the Mexican Standard, very uninspiring plastic feeling necks & cheap old ceramic pickups. But lots of people on here love them. So who knows which you would prefer?

I would much rather have the Tokai as I trust Tokai build quality, & I like a guitar with a bit of history. But it's your money.

18. little_wing

little_wing Strat-Talker

Yea I get ya. Thanks for the help. There doesn't seem to be alot of info on older tokai guitars. I think I'll probably bite the bullet and pick it up

19. stratman323

Good luck.

20. little_wing

little_wing Strat-Talker

I ended up winning the bid on the ss48. Very happy and can't wait til it's in my hands. I only paid $432aud for it which as far as I can tell based on other tokai for sale, that's a really good price

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.