Join Strat-Talk Today

Tokai club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by felis, May 9, 2014.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Really? :eek: Wow, they cost a fortune! Are they really any different to the black bottomed pickups that were used in the AVRIs from later in 1982 onwards?

2. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Well, this deal is too good to pass up, and I can try them out before buying.

3. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

I don't know.

4. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

I'm reading up on those red bobbins, and although not quite relevant to the subject, here's (what I think)a nice read for us Tokai fans.

5. stratman323

Hmmmm, very interesting, but a little contentious. As I understand things from Rockape, the earliest FJ Strats - the JVs - had the same US made pickups as the earliest AVRIs. I'm not sure if that meant the red ones or the black ones.

And although I'm a huge fan of the early AVRI black pickups, I don't really know what was different about the red ones. They can't have been used for long as my 1982 AVRI is from December & it has the black pickups. So if the reds are better (which I doubt), they must be truly awesome.

I agree with the comments about the late 80s FJ 62 Teles having weak pickups wound more like Strat pickups @ 6k or so. I bought one of these in 1989, & the pickups didn't impress me - too weak & thin.

He also compares the sound of the early MIJ Strat pickups with the Tokai equivalents, with comments like "They had more upper midrange kick than the polite and glassy rival VI pickups from Tokai". Polite and glassy? To me a polite pickup is one that's a bit bland, whereas a glassy pickup has a thin sound & a pronounced top end. So I don't understand his use of those words together. :confused: And I don't understand the meaning of "Tokais’ hi-fi clunk". :confused:

But I do agree with "The Tokai VIs were nice, very well made and convincing to look at, but they sounded more like ‘70s pickups than ‘60s pickups to me.". Yep - thinner & brighter & weaker than the AVRI pickups, which were warmer & fatter. The Tokai greys sounded closer to the Fender Custom 69s, which I find a little too thin & bright.

The trouble is that taste in pickups is all so very subjective. Some people love the Tokai grey Strat pickups that I routinely change. And yet I tend to like the Tokai Tele pickups. Confusing, isn't it?

6. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Supposedly only used on some very early models, that have serial numbers under V004000?

7. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

A good summary from what I've read the last few hours:

8. stratman323

I think I also remember mabley123 saying that he couldn't tell the difference in sound between the reds & the blacks. Apologies for misquoting you if I've got that wrong mabley.

9. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

I hear you. All this info, statistics, and history is nice. But in the end, my ears will decide whether I buy them or not. ;)

10. stratman323

Well the red ones can't be worse than the early black ones. And the early black ones are, IMHO, excellent.

11. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

If I remember correctly, you didn't like the Tokai "E"s. So I assume the red/gray/black 82s are a different animal?

12. stratman323

To me they are polar opposites. I find the Es too bright, thin, sharp & weak (though some people love them). The early (black) 57/62s are warmer, maybe even fatter sounding, but still definitely vintage style. Mind you, this could be the way that my ears have been conditioned over the years. Much as I love my Tokais, my perfect Strat is my No. 1, my 1986 AVRI 62. I have owned that baby since 1991, so I guess my ears have been conditioned to expect a Strat to sound like this.

But it's not just me. You will have noticed on here that there's a lot of love for the 57/62s. They may not suit everyone, but there are not that many people who state that they dislike them.

13. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Ok thanks, you know I value your opinion.

I for one do like the Es, so I'm looking forward to compare them with the 82s.

Finalprospec likes this.
  14. stratman323

I would be very surprised if you don't like them.

15. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

They should arrive sometime next week. I surely will let you know. ;)

16. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Just arrived.

[​IMG]

Finalprospec likes this.
  17. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Had some time to install and play the '82s this evening, it was a nice first acquaintance. :p

18. stratman323

8) 8)

So how do they compare to the Es?

19. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Smokey with the Es is at the luthier right now, so I can't compare them side by side.

It seems like the 82s have a little more clarity to them, more defined string to string. And I also think the 82s sound warmer on the lower strings.

I hope this makes some sense, I'm not so good in describing sound! :)

20. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Fitted in the Goldstar. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.