"Tone is in the hands" part 2

Green Craig

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 15, 2012
Michigan
I have followed along with this thread since the beginning, and I have come to the conclusion that because nobody can even agree about what "tone" actually is, this is the stupidest argument ever, and a complete waste of time.
Aaaaaand we've reached the point in the discussion where we're discussing the discussion itself and not the content of the original thread/post.

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
I can't believe this is being debated on a Stratocaster focused site. The only time your hands have anything to do with tone are when they are on the knob that says "Tone" and turning it.
View attachment 573876
My acoustic guitar doesn't have a tone knob and I'm able to change it's tone with my hands. Those same acoustic tone-shaping techniques work well on a Strat.

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
And every acoustic guitar sounds just exactly like every other acoustic guitar, right?
By saying tone is in the fingers, I personally have never said there are no other contributions to tone. I have only said that skilled fingers are the best source for affecting tone and that is the spirit of the statement, "tone is in the fingers". I also am one using the more strict definition of tone that excludes reverb, echo, distortion and other shapers of sound waves as they are "characteristics of sound" to be considered along with, but separate from each other and another "characteristic of sound" known as tone.

PonyB

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 3, 2020
above ground
My acoustic guitar doesn't have a tone knob and I'm able to change it's tone with my hands. Those same acoustic tone-shaping techniques work well on a Strat.
The other great modifier for acoustic tone is pick choice- material and thickness affect tone greatly IME.

mad axe man

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 23, 2016
ontario canada
I don't know about the rest of you ( and I don't care) but tone is in my hands. The *general character of my "tone" follows me no matter what guitar I play.

*Tone (2) the general character or attitude of a place, piece of writing, situation, etc.
since tone is in your hands will you sell me your eminence red fangs? :rolleyes:

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
By saying tone is in the fingers, I personally have never said there are no other contributions to tone. I have only said that skilled fingers are the best source for affecting tone and that is the spirit of the statement, "tone is in the fingers". I also am one using the more strict definition of tone that excludes reverb, echo, distortion and other shapers of sound waves as they are "characteristics of sound" to be considered along with, but separate from each other and another "characteristic of sound" known as tone.

Right. Tone is in the hands, if you are limiting "tone" to one incorrect definition of the word, while trollishly refusing to admit that the correct definitions are correct.

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
Right. Tone is in the hands, if you are limiting "tone" to one incorrect definition of the word, while trollishly refusing to admit that the correct definitions are correct.
Nice try, but check it out yourself. Play close to the bridge with your picking hand. You will acheive a thinner tone featuring treble frequencies. Moving your picking hand closer to the neck will decrease those treble frequencies and approach more lower frequency tones. There is nothing incorrect about describing those hand and finger movements as affecting tone. Regarding other definitions of tone, understand that I previously posted that there can indeed exist other perfectly legitimate definitions of tone just as there exist legitimate geometries defined where parallel lines meet. You are one refusing to accept that skilled finger's and hands can affect tone. Some of us believe that they have the best affect on tone

Last edited:

rolandson

Dr. Stratster
Jul 13, 2015
Foothills of the Cascades
Late to the party...I've a note from my doctor...

It's a thing of some. Covering for a lack of talent by blaming the equipment. The reciprocal follows; it's all in the equipment.

I looked at the image on the OP. I was impressed.
The fellow in the picture clearly knows how to finger a Bb chord while looking angry. Perhaps it is because someone stuck bottle caps to his ears.

That must be painful.

But I wasn't compelled to listen.

Demonstrating a lack of comprehension or training by shouting as loud as possible, the internet equivalent of ignorance couched as bravado, suggests a visit to tales of Billy Goats...all three of them.

Autotune has a fan.

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
since tone is in your hands will you sell me your eminence red fangs? :rolleyes:
No. I will sell you my Andy Griffith DVD collection so you can watch Goober whenever you want.
I said it in the first thread and I’ll repeat myself: if you don’t know what “tone is in the fingers” means, then your journey as a guitarist is not complete.

They don't listen Jim.
They don't get it.
They never will.

tanta07

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2019
Colorado
Moses on a crutch! This thread should have breathed its last long hence.

I said it in the first thread and I’ll repeat myself: if you don’t know what “tone is in the fingers” means, then your journey as a guitarist is not complete.

Seems that people are pretending not to know what it means at this point.

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Nice try, but check it out yourself. Play close to the bridge with your picking hand. You will acheive a thinner tone featuring treble frequencies. Moving your picking hand closer to the neck will decrease those treble frequencies and approach more lower frequency tones. There is nothing incorrect about describing those hand and finger movements as affecting tone. Regarding other definitions of tone, understand that I previously posted that there can indeed exist other perfectly legitimate definitions of tone just as there exist legitimate geometries defined where parallel lines meet. You are one refusing to accept that skilled finger's and hands can affect tone. Some of us believe that they have the best affect on tone

Nice try yourself. I've been well aware of the difference in brightness you get picking closer or further from the bridge since...oh, about the first month of playing, which would have been back in 1988. Turns out we have yet another place where we use the language differently; I don't consider picking closer to the bridge to be a "skill." It's just part of playing the guitar, and something any novice can do.

Also, I never said that tone was ALL in the gear. Back at the beginning of this thread, I said:
Each instrument has its own voice, its own range of sounds that can be produced. And players all have their own target sound they're trying to hit. And no amount of gear can substitute for technique, either.
The tone is produced by both the technique and the gear. Some kinds of sounds require particular types of gear.

And you can try it yourself too: Pick up your Strat and strum a G chord, unplugged. Then plug in your amp and strum a G chord. Odds are it sounds very different. The gear changes the sound. Try it, you'll see.

Latest posts