Tone is in the hands...who's with me?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Hendrixlvr, Dec 7, 2016.

1. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

Nope.
    Unless, of course, you can get EVH's tone, Clapton's tone, Johnny Marr's tone and Brian May's tone with a $200 acoustic guitar, no amp.
    Not gonna happen.
    The whole "tone is in the hands" thing is nonsense.

abnormaltoy and Rastus like this.
  2. robotguitar

robotguitar Senior Stratmaster

Tone is in the player mainly. Good gear will help. Studio players bring 6 guitars for a reason. Not that one won't work, but you see...

Hendrixlvr and abnormaltoy like this.
  3. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

Love Clapton - same fingers but love his tone in cream, hated it in the 80's. gear matters

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

I think I know:

upload_2016-12-7_21-11-56.png

5. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Since it's a premixed backing track from one of the Improv Challenges here on Strat Talk, the only thing I had any real control over was my guitar. Some people like to poo at will, when they should hold it until they get to a filling station. All it really leaves is a mess in your pants, and some strange looks from the other passengers in the car. Thread-crapping is kinda like that. The only person it really affects is the one doing the crapping. The rest of us might have to smell it, but we don't have to clean it up. :cool:

6. gwjensen

Come on, you know better! The only way this example could be more ridiculous is if you said air guitar instead of acoustic.

wildhawk and abnormaltoy like this.
  7. gwjensen

It sure sounded good to me.

abnormaltoy and fezz parka like this.
  8. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster

I don't know what that means but I like it.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  9. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster

You're not right in my world. I would never, in a million years, be able to produce all the variety of tone and nuance I get in my EBow experiments, without an EBow. But another way of looking at that is the fact that an EBow and a few simple pedals can make a crummy guitar sound amazing, and the EBow is held in the hand, so ... :thumbd:.

Some of both, and I'd lean heavily to "gear" , maybe 75/25 but that's just my (not often, but in this case) humble opinion.

:thumb:

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

I am also pretty sure that my fingers are tone deaf.

11. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

For all you tone in the hands guys why does a Strat have 3 pickups and a tone control?

RevBillyG, omahaaudio and abnormaltoy like this.
  12. willeycaster000

willeycaster000 Strat-Talker

Not even close. 10% is closer. Don't mistake the notes people play and how good they are for tone. You can change the notes and you can change the dynamics but 90% of the sound is your amp and guitar. Can you type, with a straight face, that the difference in tone between eruption in Spanish fly is only 5%!??! Your hand play a part yes but let's be reasonable here.

omahaaudio and abnormaltoy like this.
  13. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Because it's one more pickup than a Telecaster. And one more tone knob. :D

The player can has a choice as to how he/she makes the sound he/she wants to hear. It's an over-simplification to say "hands". It's a circle. Player---->Guitar---->Amp---->Speaker---->Player. He/she makes choices based on what comes out of the speaker, and adjusts...decides... what he/she wants to hear. The player makes the sound, or at the very least chooses what it sounds like. It's a circle from the brain to the speaker, to the ears, then back to the brain. If it's too tinny or harsh, turn down the treble. Adjust. The amp doesn't do this by itself, the player does.:cool:

14. willeycaster000

willeycaster000 Strat-Talker

Also, can we please come up with some verbiage to differentiate the sounds your hands can make and the sounds that your amp makes. There has to be some way to discuss the settings of your amp without the crazy tone finger people getting all bent out of shape. Dammit guys, I was laying in bed ready to sleep when I read this and now I'm all wound up

abnormaltoy likes this.
  15. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Don't worry about it. It's really not that important. What's important is do you make the music you want to make, does it sound like you want it to sound? The rest is maple/rosewood. :D

Or this:

16. Highwaystrat

Highwaystrat Senior Stratmaster

The proof is when multiple people play the same gear and settings and the gear would sound like them, whoever plays it. You sound like you. No need to go into a banjo sounds like a banjo and a telecaster sounds like a telecaster, obviously, this is the voice of the instrument, plus on top of all that, you have the tone, like amp and speaker ect...

You know a lot of the 'tone in your hands' is in the way you pick the strings, see my signature. This also explains why some people get more fret buzz than others, some people make the strings vibrate up and down instead of side by side. There's even a Gibson article published in 1914 about this. People have known this for a long time.

By the way, Steve Via also had an encounter with Eddy Van Halen, saying Vai was playing his guitar through his amp in the studio, Eddy came in and played his guitar, same pick, same everything. Vai said the tone was very different. He went on about picking for a long time...So, the way you pick has a lot to do with it.

Folks it's true, it is in the hands. But you also have the voice of the guitar, the tone of the amp, mic, the room, the sound waves bouncing off the ceiling fan, lots of factors, but the hands play a huge roll. There is no percentage, it's just there, it simply exists. It is one with the universe.
    I was playing my vintage martin acoustic once, my friend held the phone up to my playing. The guy on the other line came over and said " I could of sworn you were playing a strat!" That was one of the biggest compliments of my life. It was the way I played the martin. I actually can make an acoustic sound like a strat.

davidKOS and abnormaltoy like this.
  17. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I worked in music stores for a few years and I am in the camp that says "in the hands." As repeated over and over, players sound like themselves no matter what, and if you allow a metal head to re-tune a banjo in a way that works for him/her, you get heavy metal banjo. Not just the tune, but that amazing metal banjo tone we all know and love.

D

abnormaltoy likes this.
  18. tonenut

tonenut Senior Stratmaster

Different styles calls for different tones that match up nicely..... Like example to have an srv tone you don't need a amp. here's my son playing srv with no amp. Do you hear a srv tone ? lol

Hendrixlvr, gwjensen and abnormaltoy like this.
  19. avri70

avri70 Strat-O-Master

I'd say, of you are an amazing player, the tone becomes way less important.
    I can hear it with my guitar teacher. No matter what guitar he picks up, ( and he has several, from acoustic to mim jazzmaster to les paul..)it always sounds exciting and very good.

wildhawk, davidKOS and abnormaltoy like this.
  20. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Silver Member

I respectfully almost completely agree. The playing is in your hands...I mean technique. Technique is also in your heart and head. Do you pick hard or soft or go for a pinch harmonic...your mitts accomplish those actions at the direction of your head, if you're in the zone...the direction comes from your heart.

Tone, IMHO, is in your equipment...take any number of us an give us time on identical rigs. We will each adjust the equipment to produce a tone pleasing to our individual tastes.

Put me on EVHs rig and I'll adjust it to get a sound that matches what I hear in my head...I doubt very seriously anyone would mistake me for Edward.

If the tone was strictly in your hands...they would have stopped building amps after the tweed deluxe, because every player could make it sound like they wanted it...no one would need a stack of Marshall, Mesa Boogies or Super Reverb. We wouldn't be in a rennaisance in the stomp box field...or pick ups...or amps or emulation software.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Textele, mshivy, gwjensen and 2 others like this.