Join Strat-Talk Today

Tone Mod

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by JVjunky, Mar 11, 2018.

1. JVjunky

JVjunky Strat-Talk Member

This question has probably been asked loads of times, but I'm new to the forum so please bear with me!!

I've read a lot about rewiring one of the tone control pots so that it works on the bridge pick up.
    I have a 60's CV Strat and I mostly just mess around with minor pentatonic scales for slow blues and I like the 'in between' switch positions 2 and 4.
    Will this mod suit my sort of music, and if so, how do I do it??!! And while I'm at it is it worth replacing the wiring, pots and caps??

Thanks

2. JVjunky

Hello!!, is there anyone out there.

I've lifted the pickguard on my CV 60's strat, but can't work out which wires to change so that the bottom tone control works on the bridge pickup only, and the middle pick up is open.

Someone must have a diagram or a picture please??

3. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

If you do this mod, one of your preferred positions (Neck and Middle) will become a tad brighter and the other one (Bridge and Middle) a tad darker.

I've recommended this to another member just a few days ago: just wire it up as a master tone! That's more comfortable all around.

But to move the tone control from the middle to the bridge, take a look at this:
    [​IMG]
    But instead of putting another wire where the red line is, just move the black wire from the left lug to the right -- along the red line.

4. JVjunky

Thanks for the reply. The only problem is, my Squier 50's Classic Vibe Strat 5 way switch has all of the contacts on one side. It's not like the more open type of switch that you get on a USA Fender Strat.

From left to right of pic:

Blue - Middle Tone Pot
    Red - Bottom Tone Pot
    Next Contact Not Used
    Yellow- Jumps Across Two Contacts and goes to Volume Control
    Red - Neck Pickup
    Yellow - Middle Pickup
    Blue - Bridge Pickup

pic1.JPG pic2.JPG

5. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

Look at this backwards, or look at your switch from the other side :).

You can jumper 7 to 5 and have bridge and middle on the same tone knob.
    You can move 5 to 7 and jumper 5 to 6 and have bridge by itself and neck and middle on the same.
    You can move 5 to 7 and leave the middle "wide open" which is also a popular mod.

1.PNG

6. JVjunky

Thanks for the replies. I've moved the wire from 5 to 7 on my 50's CV Strat. I guessed that might be the answer, just wanted confirmation!
    I also have a 60's CV Strat which I'll leave at the moment and compare the two. I can either have two Strats that sound a bit different or if I prefer the 50's Strat with the bridge pickup tone mod then I can change that one next time I change strings.

Regards.

RegularJim likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.