Tone Zone S

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by satch_booger, Jun 9, 2021.

1. satch_booger

satch_booger Strat-Talk Member

Hi all. I just have a question about hot humbuckers in the bridge position. I just put a tone zone S in my strat, which formerly was occupied by a lace sensor red (which is a great fat-single pup). My hope was to get a Satriani sort of thing going with the bridge pickup, because after all there’s joe satch and then there’s everyone else. But I’m not sure what to make of the results. It seems like the TZ just overwhelms my amp (Yamaha THRII) and that to get a usable tone I have to go pretty far back on the gain settings from what I’m accustomed to using.

I don’t have a lot of experience with high output humbuckers. Is the whole idea of them that they let you dial the gain back on the amp and rely on the heavy pup output to make it up?

thanks!!

2. StratorTrle

StratorTrle Strat-Talk Member

This is my high output Strat. It's a Vintage Icon V6 with an 08 American standard HSS pickguard with a Seymour Duncan JB tb4 in the bridge and 2 deluxe drive single coils in the neck and mid in it and I love it. Bridge is 16k singles are around 10.4k. Then I have my Vintera modified 50s strat for my blues and jazz. The key to high output pickups is volume and tone control on the guitar IMHO. The treble bleed helps so when you roll off you don't lose those highs, but you tame it some. I use a gtx50 amp and set all my presets so I can roll off the volume on my guitar to clean up or roll on to get gritty. Set your presets volumes a little higher. Manipulate the output(Master) as you desire with the master volume and then start with all guitar knobs at 10 and decrease and play with until you get what you're looking for. It's always better to have your amp volume and gain work hand in hand, but at different tiers. Master is what sets the output coming from the speakers. I may have misread your post and just blabbed, but I hope it helps.

Attached Files:

satch_booger likes this.
  3. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Welcome @satch_booger !
    Can you
    try setting the amp volume where you like it & then set the gain back a little ?

I think with more powerful output pickups the idea is kind of to let the pickup carry the power.

satch_booger likes this.
  4. satch_booger

Yes it helps. My neck and middles are lace hot gold, which I think have less output than the deluxe drive singles. So that’s another thing about my setup - the big output difference between the neck and middle and the bridge. Hmmmm I may pull the cruiser and chopper pups I have in a different guitar and go with a three railbucker setup.

I didn’t get into partscastering until recently and damn the possibilities are seriously endless…

5. satch_booger

yeah I think I may need to experiment some more. I was trying to dial in a satch boogie (of course) tone last night and I felt like I was starting to get in that neighborhood. But again I was kinda surprised at how thickly distorted the tone was with the gain not even at noon.

6. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

I had a Tone Zone S and many years before a Lace Sensor Red. The TZ was pretty high output but not over the top. Very modern sounding gain sound. I'd say the Lace Red was on a par output wise although I far preferred the sound of the TZ. I'd try lowering the pup which will reduce the output and sizzle a bit. Lace Sensors need to be adjusted close to the strings especially the newer type, to get the best out of them. DiMarzio Rails work well at a variety of heights.

satch_booger likes this.