Too Picky?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by CajunJ, May 16, 2020.

1. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

How do you know without seeing the guitar? Lol. I had a Graph Tech nut do the same exact thing and it was brand new out of the package. How do I know it was the nut? It didn't do it with the stock nut and it didn't do it anymore after I fixed the b&e slots.

You can't assume someone else's guitar has a problem based on a single experience of yours without ever seeing, hearing, or touching the guitar. And then tell him that he's wrong. That's just crazy.

2. fenderbenz

fenderbenz New Member!

Are you kidding me? That nut looks upside down. Flag side goes down, rounded side goes up.

3. blakebaldwin

blakebaldwin New Member!

Haha yeah I was gonna say, I think that nut is upside down

Either way, $400 guitars are definitely on the budget side of things and if the retailers haven’t spent time to set up the guitar correctly you’re likely going to have issues. Find the best tech in your area and have them do a full service. It’s worth every penny. A good tech can make cheap guitars come to life, I’ve had it happen, especially with cheap acoustics.

jtoomuch likes this.
  4. DeanIversenGreen

DeanIversenGreen Strat-Talk Member

did it come in a retail package? maybe they didn't see it, or didn't think it would matter on a CV, if it fits and works, use it, its not a TOL instrument, you're not losing anything unless you play mainly open cowboy chordage.. fits, works use it, sure you don't have to take some off the bottom anyways? just lay your sandpaper on the neck for the profile, loosen strings and tie em under the neck, shape it till your action jives, call it a day

fill it with glue mixed with bone dust if ya think it matters all that much sheesh the postage is more than the piece at this point..

5. CajunJ

CajunJ Strat-Talker

That would have solved it from the get go. But I wasn’t going to pay to have a new guitar fixed. They offered to have a shop fix it, but with the virus I don’t know if they were open, so I just sent it back. But yes, fixing it outright would have been the easiest way.

6. IronSchef

IronSchef Senior Stratmaster

that is not a "hole" in the nut - it has been installed upside down (as others have noticed)

Sweetwater should send you a new one - those are great guitars (not al ALL "cheap", regardless of the price), dont give up on the CV!

CajunJ likes this.
  7. CajunJ

CajunJ Strat-Talker

Is from Sweetwater and apparently the inspect each one. The fact that the first one had a nut issue makes one think that they would have looked at the nut on the second one.... They’re both going back. Getting an amp instead.

Baelzebub likes this.
  8. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

You should read the quoted post I replied to.

9. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

Replacement nuts are usually oversize, expecting that you'll get out the sandpaper and nut files and wrangle it into submission. If it's a $400 guitar, there's no reason that you should be responsible for doing or handling that tech job, so returning the guitar and getting a different one is appropriate.

There are outstanding $400 guitars and there are cheap corner-cutting $400 guitars. In the latter case, choosing where the manufacturer has cheaped out becomes an exercise in picking your poison. I budget a Really Good Initial Setup (from a Really Good Tech) into the cost of a new guitar over and above the guitar store purchase price. I've even paid for a PLEK job on a guitar that had great potential. Expecting and planning for issues can alleviate the heartburn that comes from going back and forth with the retailer.

CajunJ likes this.
  10. Bob priv

Bob priv Strat-Talk Member

You should replace the nut properly. I would use either a pre-cut bone nut from Fender or a pre-cut Graph Tech TUSC XL. I prefer the later, but you can use either for excellent results. Either will set you back only around $15. All replacement nuts,even a pre-cut replacement will require a bit of fitting and shaping, much of which you can accomplish with a small file or some light sandpaper. Stew Mac has an excellent video on YouTube entitled "How to replace the nut on your guitar" which gives complete instructions using a Stratocaster. You should be able to replace this nut, using the techniques in the video in less than an hour. Good luck!!

11. Bob priv

Bob priv Strat-Talk Member

As an addendum to my above post. Getting that "sitar" may be caused by several things. A poorly cut nut slot that is too narrow can cause it. So can a nut slot cut at the wrong angle. An incorrect break angle (from the nut to the tuning post) caused by an improperly set string tree is also a candidate.

Get a good replacement nut, take your time and install it properly and I'd bet your issue goes away.

CajunJ likes this.
  12. Reptiboss2003

Reptiboss2003 Strat-Talk Member

You can never be too picky, especially if you care enough, I’d get it checked out.

CB91710 and CajunJ like this.
  13. flashbak

flashbak Strat-Talk Member

Here's how to fix your issue. Write to the head of Sweetwater directly regarding the incident and include pics. Here's his email address [email protected]
    Watch how fast you get a good guitar this time. Honestly, I really like Sweetwater but this kind of stuff happens way to often and I'm betting Chuck has no idea how often it is occurring. Even if you sent the guitar back already he needs to know about these types of things to better their service! Let us know how it goes?

14. CajunJ

CajunJ Strat-Talker

Interesting idea. I did get the obligatory ‘tell us how we did’ email with his email address in it.

duzie and Stratwrangler like this.
  15. Bcorig

Bcorig Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

CajunJ likes this.
  16. dudafun

dudafun Strat-Talk Member

Why not upgrade to a locking nut?
    Now, you know some of the best guitars aren't expensive.

17. Uncle Salty

Uncle Salty Strat-Talk Member

Not to high jack but to put this in perspective for the OP. Take lots of pictures and ask to talk to a supervisor. Ask to send pictures to there sales rep, "tech" and the supervisor. Question them about the so called 55 point inspection. Be proactive.

I had issues with Sweetwater as well. First guitar had a nut cut to low and a hump in the middle of the neck. You could not get it out
    by adjusting the truss rod. I originally payed for a setup too. It looked like they tried to file the frets to hide the hump.

I took pictures and send the to the sales rep. He put me in touch and I use this work loosely one of their "techs" They agreed it was messed up.

I sent it back for a replacement. Same deal the nut was cut too low. Bad fret work. To top it off the neck pickup was tilted forward. The holes were drill on an angle. The pickup looked like it was stuffed in the pickguard.

I called them up and wanted to know why the so called 55 point inspection missed this. I got an excuse. They said send it back. I told them I would keep the guitar if they compensated me for the issues.

I ended up with 20% off the list price. I got the nut fixed on my end and fixed the pickup tilt myself.

If it were me I would send everything back and get a refund. They have a huge warehouse. The send your old one back idea and grab another one and send it to you is lame if they don't get it right the first time.

Take your bussiness elsewhare.

btw The first guitar I sent back was relisted as new. I knew this due to the serial number.

CB91710 likes this.
  18. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

Glad to hear you returned it. Sweetwater's response was irresponsible... and wrong. "There's no perfect guitar at that price point"??? I would openly debate with him about that, and bring a few guitars to prove my side of the debate. I've got a BULLET that I bought for $99 at a Black Friday sale... and it's pristine. Sounds to me like they either need a different customer service rep... or Sweetwater's reputation isn't as great as I'd been lead to believe.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Pdsor and Thrup'ny Bit like this.