1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Top 5 Best Cables for Players 2020

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by The-Kid, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Vendor Member

Okay this is a big one but pretty much.
    After wanting to get some cables and spending a lot of time and research I have come to the conclusion that a lot of what players think of as "good cables" and what corporations such as Guitar World feeds us may be misleading.

Pretty much what they rate as the "Best Cable" at the top.....Mogami.....Placed dead last on the test.

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/be...cables-for-electric-acoustic-and-bass-guitars

After much research and much scrutiny on other forums well I have found that some of the most affordable cables except for a few exceptions are much better options than cables costing 5 or 10 times as much.

Needless to say this thread is about keeping awareness of the basic......the cable and if your out there shoping for some or feel the need to look for a better one always worry about 2 things here. Low capacitance and low noise. Low capacitance isnt always the best but its been regarded by most as a measure of a cables quality. Again not always desired but generally low capacitance in a cable equals a good cable.

Second thing to watch for is Cable noise. Mechanical from movement causing pops and hisses or just pure noise from real world scenerios.

These two things are something to watch based on this test done by Max doing a 79 cable shoot out measuring Capaciatacne and various levels noise floor I have made out that the stuff Guitar World is feeding us regarding what they say are the "Best Cables" and what many consider as internet favriotes scored on the bottom of the list of Max's cable shoot out.

I will provide a link to the video bellow of the test.

But pretty much Mogami Platinum and Mogami Gold. Cables highly considered by Guitar World Magazine score on the bottom of the list along with other internet favriotes.

Bellow a copy and paste of the findings and why I chose MXR even though it didnt make it to the top. It still performs well, cost is nice for the wallet and again out performs Platinum on capacitance in the test and noise levels.

A fellow forum member at another forum also conducted test of the MXR and its capacitance was on average lower than Mogami Gold and well the test proves its a quiter cable than Mogami Platinum so for me. There may be better cables but MXR wins for being well rounded and beint extremely good quality.

Also rugged construction as the cables have lasted me much longer than Hosa, Strukture or even Planet Waves gold tips.

Out of all the cables on the test I choose MXR as it was the most well rounded even though it didnt make it on the top 13. The reason I choose MXR is its Made in America and out performs under the test and competes against cables costing 10 times as much in this case the industry leader Mogami.

This is my choice for reasons posted below but I will make a definitive list of cables that are top 5 of which MXR will be included in the ranking.

My findings below. MXR scores top on all test that matter for real world scenerios in all cases short of the stone test but thats not important as I will explain later as none of the cables that made it to the top were judged by the stone test either.

Several of the cables that were least expected to be good made it to the top.

Again many internet faves and the Guitar World faves ranked at the bottom.

MXR Low Capacitance
    [​IMG]
    MXR low noise just shy of making it to the top. Noise floor in real world scenerio
    [​IMG]
    MXR Diffusion Noise test result. Noise floor
    [​IMG]
    Mecahnical Noise test. Hissing popping etc MXR at the top again.
    [​IMG]

Finally stone test. Again not a factor because its not a real world Scenerio incorporating a groundloop feedback. Not included in final decision making on my Consideration or Maxs test.

[​IMG]

Video and results of the top 13 cables to choose and top cables to avoid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    bbarott, Stephen James, _MS_ and 2 others like this.
  2. The-Kid

1. Providence: Made in Japan and well. These made it on the the top a total of 4 time!!!!! Super good quality and are top rated. You actually get your moneys worth here. If your really after compromise get these no questions asked. Very very high quality cable here and top dollar for a reason

[​IMG]

2. Earnie Ball :Many dudes like these Ive used these when I was younger. My friends like them and others here on the forum appreciated these as well and I really feel its a super underated well constructed cable made here in America, California. It places here because it made at home and competes well with many cables costing 5 or ten times as much and even demolishes many TGP Favriotes. Proudly made in Coachella California.
    [​IMG]

3. Mooer: scored second on the list. Very affordable. Low cost and by no means a cheap cable. Many will find disgust when I recomend these over Mogami, EBS, Lava etc etc but this gets 3rd place because its just that and proves a point. Its low cost, Made in China, and well even beats industry leaders such as Monster, Mogami, and Dimarzio. Remember if you get these get their highest tier possible as these will be the best ones they provide.

[​IMG]

4. Ibanez : This one made it not one, not twice....But three times short one behind Providence on the chart of Max best cables. These are really flying under the radar are super flexible and provide many a good sounding cable at good prices and super low noise too. Made in Japan and proud of it.

[​IMG]

5. MXR: Super durable from my experience and sound super good. Low cost good quality, low noise. Many of the same things that I said of Earnie Ball can be said here but yeah. Ive said enough good things about this one. This one didnt make it to top ten but otherwise did damn good were test mattered. Low noise, low capacitance. This is the one I personally use so there is no bias it is at the bottom of my top five but I highly recommend these as much as the other four I mentioned. Brought to you by the folks at MXR/Dunlop, you know its for the players at mind and good quality too. Doesnt hurt the wallet either.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

circles likes this.
  3. The-Kid

Just to disclose I did have a talk on the phone with one of the top dudes at MXR.

Dont want to say who but hes the guy the phone goes to when yeah. Stuff like this is brought up. Not Jorge but yeah ......

Anyways pretty frigging interesting conversation and well yeah. Its no surprise why these cables are so good. I was given hints here and there as to the make and the origin behind these and was given a clue as to where they may have possibly drawn experience from when manufacturing these......

Not sure what they are going to send me but they are going to send me something in the mail.

Pretty interesting conversation indeed.

Cheers

4. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Minutia.

Your focus...is out of focus.

Apply that energy to your guitar playing Daniel. ;)

mark1406, reverb11, Jason D and 7 others like this.
  5. The-Kid

I know I know man.

Im just OCD about them. And its mainly for other guitarist to be aware of the marketing stuff.

Its not just Guitar World pushing these cables that are supposedly better. Its other forums on the web and well I really believe guitarist at large are being misled to spend big bucks on cables that actually perform worse than cables costing 5 to 10 times as less.

Also capacitance is kind of subjective but in general low capacitance is regarded as a sign of quality. Many people pay big $$$$$ assuming thats what they are getting but its the opposite.

Also @fezz parka please consider the noise.

Many of these expensive cables are assumed to be low noise aside from low capacitance and again this is not the case.

Many of the top dollar cables and well cables advertised by Guitar World and other top forums just arent all that good. Mainly Mogamis. They scores on the bottom here. Another forum member even bought MXR cables to test and they scored well below Mogamis Gold Spec sheet along with scoring lower noise on Max test.

Again @fezz parka this isnt to tell people "there cables suck" buy these its just an awareness for those that may have been misled into believing the marketing.

Im here to say yes its a minutia if they were all good cabkes....but they arent all good cables..... Good cables are an important thing in our rigs we regret to take importance to sometimes and overlook. A bad cable may result in muddy tone and well high levels if noise floor.

Yes if all cables were good quality it wouldnt matter. But they arent all good quality and in this case well the more affordable cables are some of the best performaning.

A win win for all guitarist. Also ordered some MXRs last week. Full patch set and 10 foot cables. :)

Not sure what they are sending in the mail but yeah. Should be cool.

And again not to disrespect your wisdom but this is something guitarist have been getting fooled about for decades and I just make this thread for the benefit of guiatarist not to gloat or say "hey buy this".

There are other cables that made it on Max list and my personal list that are better but I went MXR out of reliability, well rounded performance and price.

It does better than either Mogami Gold or Platinum. And while there may be better cables if its better than either of those two, its good enough for me.

There are other cables here I mention that are better than highly recomended cables from Mogami, EBS and others that Guitar World recomends or other forums recomend including this one.

I just want guitarist to be aware of this. @fezz parka . I really feel its important for all especially the next generation

6. The-Kid

Heres my MXR cables.

Just got them today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

You don't have to be. It's minutia. Good quality cable...good quality plugs. I use Belden and Switchcraft. Have for years.

Unless you're doing long runs...it's overkill. Splitting hairs that you can't see. You have good guitars. You have good amps. Play them. :)

Listen...I've been gigging for 45 years. On a stage...it doesn't matter. Use good, durable stuff and you'll be fine. I have cables that are 40 years old. They work great. Belden and Switchcraft.

Unless you want to be a gear review person...forget this minutia, and play. I thought you wanted to be a musician. :D

Miotch, hexnut, rgbedard and 4 others like this.
  8. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Looks like you're having a good time with your research and that's cool, nothing wrong with that. Not making fun of you at all.

Had a long response ready to type but nah, too lazy. Long story short when I was beginning it coincided with the boom of the net and guitar forums thus I spent too much valuable time researching and spending stupid amounts of money on what others said was the way to go. And it cost me from developing my playing which I regret, it's time I'll never get back.

Nutshell: cable companies advertise capasitance, khz, thermogizmos, and other forms of proof and measurements to show cable A has a higher ectoplasm resistance than cable B so that's why it sounds better and costs $100. Thing is they don't tell you the human ear can't hear the difference, only a machine can measure the difference.

Bottom line nutshell: Having ears like a bat I can't tell or hear any difference from the cork sniffing cables vs the less expensive MXR and Planet Waves. Finally I'm trusting my ears and they haven't failed me yet.

9. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

On the nose.

10. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

A Low capacitance cable doesn’t necessarily mean your guitar is going to sound better. A lot of players including myself have found out that you can dial in your tone by the length of your cable. Sometimes more capacitance can be better. Buying pre made manufactured high quality cables can be very expensive. After I bought my first Mogami I made up my mind never again. I bought the same cable in bulk and made up my own. No difference between mine or Mogami and less than half the price. I made up several lengths and used my ears to judge. It’s a fact that many well know musicians have used longer cables to get a better sound. Amps, guitar and cables all play a big part of the equation as well. Mogami, Belden and Carnare cables are all very high quality, proven and well respected cable for years.

Glad you found a good cable your happy with, thats what really matters the most.

The-Kid likes this.
  11. The-Kid

The thing about you is...

Your already using good cable Fezz. Like of course you think it doesnt matter.....

You already have the goods and have for years that why it doesnt matter for you....because well you take it for granted and IMO it does matter a lot.

Especially on stage when you want low noise floor and low mechanical noise.

Forget about capacitance. There the noise Fezz.

And as said I really feel you may take it for granted as you already have good cables you make your self I assume.

Playing on stage myself man I have to tell you....when you have a bad cable it shows. Its buzzy, it pops, it cracklesm...its just bad.

This thread is just a guideline for players so something as simple as a good guitar cable that you and me take for granted can be had for players who want a good cable.

I may get Providence in a month or two and drop 500$ on a whole set just because I mean its top rated on the test.

I mean at this point I do agree. Getting Providence would be a minutia as MXR is already better than Mogami om Max Test and third party data verified by a trusted forum member.

Its just trust me man. I am playing a lot lately. Even got some guys who want me to be on their bits like some rappers and some local players and starting to form my own jam squad.

But the thing is, especially playing at volumes I play and given the gain levels sometimes and noise floor and general I can for sure tell you a goof cable makes a difference as much as a bad cable.

We just take these things for granted sometimes, trust me. You already have good cables and did your homework.

Some people think they do but they actually have a subpar one according to the test and they paid top dollar for them...

Some people like me just want a good well rounded cable and for those guys I made this list of my top 5 cables and what I consider to be worth mention and on anyones Rig vs anything Guitar World recommends hands down.

This is just a thread on cable awareness.....

As stupid as it sounds I really feel its something we take for granted and its such an important part of the rig.

Short or long.....a good cable matters and is super important @fezz parka. I can speak from my own experience friend.

12. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

I see what you did there and I like it.

D66B96D2-C51B-4EBD-A693-07F635DB9071.gif FC86CB0B-2C28-4EE5-957E-DF76C5C2BB50.gif

thxphotog, Reno, JB74 and 4 others like this.
  13. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Wrong Daniel. Short doesn't matter at all. Not a frigging bit. You can use speaker cable or zip cord for patch cables between pedals. Long runs...more than 40 feet...yeah.

And...lets be real here. You have no real experience. None. You need to get some. Go play. Quit talking the talk and walk the walk. Join a band. Go play...

I'm saying this to you because I care. Otherwise I wouldn't waste my time.

14. The-Kid

Yeah I know this regarding capacitance.

My point is many point to low capacitance as a sign of good quality.

Further more many including me assume that because a cable cost big money $$$$$ not only are we getting low capacitance but also low noise.

Neither is true here.

Many top dollar cables and internet fave didnt even make it to the top and well many failed miserably and made it to the bottom out of 79 cables regarding not only capacitance but also noise. Mogami Platinum, EBS, Lava Cable....etc etc. The internet favriotes and the Guitar World faves .......

Lets not forget the importance of low noise aside from low capacitance here. Low noise is always trumped by low capacitance I feel and many also take low noise cables for granted and just take Guitar Worlds and the brands word for it.

The point is well ......

Good cables dont cost an arm and a leg and well any of the 5 cables that I put on my list and any of Maxs top 13 should be anyones top pick vs anything Guitar World recommends or anything people have been recomending on forums for years.

I really feel people may have been misled for years and well I just do this in hopes that future guitarist may not be mislead like many of us may have been by marketing.

15. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I wonder how those Gibson cables that are as thick as your finger compare?

16. The-Kid

Im sorry Fezz......

This is a part of my playing as much as practice or other parts of the rig.

From my experience a low capacitance cable matters.....LOW Noise matters Fezz.

And again Im going to say its something you may take for granted as you already have good cables. I wish I had some of yours.

The point I am making here is I have played on stage or jamming and well a good cable goes a super long way. They sound better, dont provide huge ammounts of noise floor and well they dont pop or crakle or anything.

I went through Planet Waves every 6 months. They replaced them and they were nice......but they were also noisy as hell.

You have no idea how much my playing improved after I swithed over to a better cable. In this case MXR.

My noise floor is lower, the buzz is lower, no crackle, no pop.......no hiss....more neutral mids, smoother highs, nicer lows etc etc but most of all the noise man. Its so low now were as before it was unbearable. Its all there on the test here regarding the noise. Its on the video.

Just nice and quite. This goes a long way in cables.

And well it matters here Fezz and Ima stick to my guns. Forget capacitance, low noise matters man and this is just a thread to bring more awareness for those that may be getting misled by marketing. Good cables dont cost an arm and a leg.....

And well we can disagree here man but a goof cable matters and goes a super long way IME. It just makes the biggest difference in a rig all other things considered we really take for granted what a good cable means and does for the player.

17. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Where are you playing? In a club? In a studio? On a stage? With a band, or just by yourself?

You're not getting what I'm getting at. If you spend all of your time hashing out specification minutia, you're missing the big picture. You're not making music, you're sourcing tires for a car you don't drive. Get it?

Look I have one question for you.

Do you want to be a player...or a gear tester? If its the latter, then test away. But if its the former, then get playing. Gain real world experience. Find out what works for you in the actual world of making music. Not simulator miles...actual miles. :)

Unless you've really done it, you don't know what you're talking about. You don't have any real world experience. Reading stuff on the internet does not equal real world experience. Go get some. Because you're still in the parking lot getting ready to start the car. :D

18. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

A Buffer will take care of capacitance and a lot of pedals come with them built in.

WireLine and The-Kid like this.
  19. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Nothing wrong with learning more about your equipment.

20. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Knowing the specs of a baseball bat doesn't help you hit the ball.

Use a good bat that feels good to you, learn how to swing, get the timing down, and you'll hit the ball.

Yes there is junk cable.
    Just like there are junk baseball bats. You want a bat made from solid northern ash. H&B.
    For cables...good low noise low CPF cable. Mogami. Belden. Good stuff. Then...play. Learn to hit the ball. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.