Join Strat-Talk Today

Top 5 Best Cables for Players 2020

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by The-Kid, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

2. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

funny s”*t.

3. heltershelton

oh yeah?
    well......

3bolt79 and duzie like this.
  4. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-Talker

@The-Kid I have to say, I didn't even want to click on this thread when I first saw it. Then I saw that it was now 14 pages, I had to go see for myself what was going on.

I've been playing electric for 33 years and the way I generally approach cables is this: Does my guitar feel right when plugged in? Yes? Good cable. No? Bad cable.

I learned early on that certain cables just gave the guitar a weird feeling, as if the volume pot was turned down a bit. When I came across a cable like this, I simply didn't use it. Now that I'm older and have a bit more money, my 2nd criteria for a cable is that it feel good and look good in my hands. I like cloth woven cables now. I like shorter cables (under 10'). Now that I think of it, that's probably because all the cables I've had bad experiences with were long ones. I didn't know it at the time, but there's a good reason for that.

I would agree with you that cable does matter. I think it's wrong to tell you that this is all useless. If you are a detail oriented person and want to compile all of this information and share it for free, dude, THANK YOU from the guitar community. It takes all kinds of people to make the world go 'round. Some people are OCD and obsess about all the details. Some of us just want to close our eyes and play guitar 8 hours a day. Either way, thank you for your time on this and sharing it with everyone. It's appreciated.

3bolt79 and The-Kid like this.
  5. heltershelton

AND, even funnier (warning!!!!!!language!!!!!!)
    I warned you.

3bolt79 and henderman like this.
  6. heltershelton

im watching the video of your strat, and I gotta say, you got it down. damn good playin.

7. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

8. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-Talker

Well thank you kindly!

heltershelton likes this.
  9. heltershelton

I didn't see this. you now owe me a new laptop.

Jason D likes this.
  10. heltershelton

you are a doityerselfer.
    if it don't sound good, you figure out
    a way to make it sound good.
    you have good engeneering skills.
    or however you spell it.

11. heltershelton

12. 808K

808K Senior Stratmaster

@The-Kid
    I really don’t care too much about cables, but I have to compliment you on remaining pleasant and courteous as some people took rather personal shots at you. You handled it well, and I respect that.

So I don’t have a comment either way on your analysis (I’m not smart enough, but smart enough to know better than to offer an opinion), but I appreciate your effort.

It’s been a fun 14 (and counting) pages.

13. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-Talker

Actually, when I saw the thread, I really wanted to get in on it, but I JUST lend my audio interface to a co worker. Now I feel bad asking for it back since I told him I wasn't really using it. I'll give him another week or so. :)

duzie, 3bolt79 and The-Kid like this.
  14. heltershelton

id be like, "gimme my damn thing back"!!!!!!!!

15. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

I appreciate that, HS... but what I figured out is that to make what comes out of the amps sound better, I need to continue to put in the practice time. The hardware makes much less difference than the clown holding the guitar. :)

16. hexnut

hexnut Strat-O-Master

Heck just wait till he discovers all the different string makers and how they effect tone. LOL

17. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Google Slap Farts if you wanna have a good laugh.

18. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Hey guys enough "fun" at my expense or the threads. Please stay on topic. @Stratoskater.
    @hexnut @roadhog96 @duzie and yes even @heltershelton

Please no more derailing the thread and thank you.

Either talk about cables as far as the thread allows or go to Sidewinders or wherever else.

Please dont derail the thread any more than you already have. Thank you.

That being said.....

Lets talk cables.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  19. The-Kid

Hey thanks man.

A lot of people are finding it useful and well yeah one doesnt really need top $$$$ cables to get a good sound is what I have found.

Playing yesterday, really enjoying the day as it was my day off and I get lots of time to practice and I even have Jazz Class. We had fun with Drop 2s and inversions. Roots. Triads and well a lot of basics here I wasnt even aware of or fully understand yet but its cool and its opening the door to all this other stuff.

I had some thoughts.

The livewire I have now is decent but I feel the build could be better. The noise is negligible and it sounds decent good enough for most players pro, amateur or new. I really do feel this would be as good as any another cables one might try given the test.

I really was just OCDing on cables and was trying to offer my perspective of them personally. While its a decent cable and its lasted me 15 years. There is something about it and I even prefer the Dimarzio or MXR easy over it.

I did use this one at school and its nice. Nice build to. My Proffesor uses one other students better than me use one. And my Proffesor guys......hes one of the best if not best player Ive met. And Ive met some pretty good cats.

This is one if a forums members here but the cables at school are much the same.

[​IMG]

They sound great. No crackle, pops, hisses. Low noise floor.

This isnt the high tier model and Im impressed.

The ones at GC are nicer as those they use for floor testing do sound exceptional all things aside and thats their highest tier.

Made me rethink Livewires. May check those out and give them a run.

Similarly well there are probably better players here who use some of the worst performing cables on the test......regarding these players....

1) They sound great.

2) They are probably better than me.

3) They are happy.

And that last part is important. They are happy.

Listen guys as much of a thing as I want to make about this and I think Ive made a point.

In the end if you have a cable that works for you and does the job for you and mainly......your happy.....

Thats all that matters.

I didnt mean to come in and bag on gear guys and well it may have come up this way but honestly I just wanted players to be more aware and well open minded about these thoughts, convictions, beliefs we held over so many decades and really question them.

Seeing the search "Forums Guitar Cables 2020"

And well how Guitar World and some others on the top who had their list.....I didnt see it as an honest reflection of this list and what the data uncovered.

Like all the cables that scored low here are high recomendations and faves on the Magazines and Music blogs and well for years I feel weve blindly just followed this culture and even ourselves regurgitate the stuff we find and trickle down on forums the stuff Magazines and Music corps say.

I feel they have trained at this point on some level. I may be wrong of course but this is the way I see it.

"Just worry about capacitance!

Just take our word for it

These are the best cables on the market for the price.....If you have money get these as they are the Market Leader.....

Trust us"

Like seeing the 2020 Guitar World "Best Cables" and this test triggered something in me.

Not John Wick trigger or Liam Neeson Taken triggered......more like some weird episode of Dark Mirror or Black Mirror or whatever.

I was like not this decade.

Not on our watch.

To a degree I must admit these top dollar cables arent that bad and well many use them and love them. But given the test and performance well whats the deal with all the money spent on them?

Like the capacitance is higher, noise levels were higher.....the price was higher. Im not saying they arent good as many like them...

But whats all the money going to?

If it seems they are no better or worse than cables costing 10 times 5 times less.

I feel this is a valid question and well something many should consider when looking at cables. Yes sound good, rugged, dependable and well a high quality cable doesnt have to cost big $$$$$ to give you good sound and performance is what I have found to be fair and put it nicely.

So even if you have big bucks and dropping 550 on a full set of Mogamis, and then dropping similar on George Ls and Then Dimarazios and then you have the time to go back and forth and test them and see whats your fave.......Consider some of the "low cost" cables as well they may perform just as good or better. They may or may not.....but its worth consideration given the options and the data I feel and if they are crap then easily go back to top dolllar but as said given the points I made I say these are worth consideration as a any top dollar cable.

Providence especially made in Japan. MXR, Ernie Ball, Ibanez and yeah even Mooer and dont forget the trusty old Livewires.

Money aside.

Consider the tone.

And well all other things aside I may be wrong on many cases here but I hope the reader can take value and benefit from this. Agree or not and well its up to you to use the best available information available to make your decision and choice.

Cheers

mapleglo likes this.
  20. The-Kid

Thanks man.

Means alot.

I am OCD yes....but trust me I sit and close my eyes and play guitar for hours and hours sometimes......

Otherwise I wouldnt be so damned crazy about cables my guy.

Lol but yeah.

Hahhahahahha

Thanks man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.