Join Strat-Talk Today

Top 5 Best Cables for Players 2020

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by The-Kid, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster

That picture looks familiar :p

I'll add that I recently purchase a few GLS cables from Amazon. These are the tweed cloth covered type which I usually don't buy because I don't like that these don't lie flat on the floor, depending on how they unwind. I was in a tight spot, and needed a bunch of cables for a gig, and I get next day delivery, so I ordered a few of the 10' cables. Pretty happy with them as far as reliability and sound quality are concerned.

glscomp.jpg

Here's one compared to a Live Wire cable. The shrink wrap covers the connection, and they seem pretty robust. I've had them since September, and they are still going strong.

Looking at them on Amazon now, a 10' cable is $19.97 which is much more than I paid - $12.99 - not sure what caused the price increase. It's odd because a 20' cable is $15.99.

2. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I've watched this thread with a morbid fascination. I must be missing something.

Just like the handwound thread, and many others, I can't discern any difference in sound between guitar leads. Or at least if there is, I just adjust things until I get the tone I want, for the room I'm in or the song I'm playing.

Over the past 40 odd years, I've found that a twiddle of knobs on the guitar, effects or amp does all I need.

When a lead goes bad, it will cut out, buzz or crackle. In which case I just throw it away and use another.

Jason D likes this.
  3. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Amazon analyzes the most in demand and jacks prices up accordingly.

So while it takes more money technically to make a 20 foot or 30 foot. The 10 foots are in higher demand and want because well no matter what brand or manufacturer your 10 foot is ganna have less signal loss and less capacitance than a longer one of the same brand.

So while it sounds weird the law of supply and demand is narrowly and more finely examined by the algos and the prices are jacked up accordingly.

Usually its not the case but when an item is very popular as is the case with livewire the algos cant help but notice and price goes up.

Thats what sucks about Amazon as a seller. As soon as you find something good or nice to compete in Amazon algos notice and take over.....but yet its Amazon and you need to be there.

Total catch 22 for young entrepreneurs or people in a business using the platform or any platform online adopting similar systems now.

The livewires are good and well Ive heard of GLS but not all to familiar. People like them in general.

Do you notice any apparent difference plugged straight in vs each other. If you are in need of more cables again check out Livewires highest tier. These may be worth it and as good as the standards are those other ones look nicer and should be better.

But all things aside my Proffesor uses these same Livewires you use and well they are good enough for him so really why bother if your happy.

Also GLS looks awesome!!!

How have I not heard about these guys!!!!

Or known about them....I live in Orange County!!!!

Will check these out on my next review too. Pretty affordable and look good.

If one really wants to spend top dollar on cable the Divine Noise cables @3bolt79 uses look great and I would say given results better than a lot out there claiming to be the best.

This is for the reader.

Also if one have top dollar ....Check out Providence as this rated top and you will get every penny out of them.

MXR, Ernie Ball, Mooer, Ibanez, Livewires they all seem pretty damn good too and well dang guys it doesnt take much to make a good cable now and thats a good thing for all.

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. The-Kid

Yeah imagine that happening to you months at a time again and again.

Cables just going bad....or just not sounding good.

Again just because you may not notice a sound difference or think its important or not.....it doesnt change the fact that us OCD guys do or hear a real difference here or dont want cables being constantly replaced warranty or not.....its a hassle. The noise floor is a hassle if its functions good aside from that. Much cheaper cables they do have this and well even expensive cables too. Its just super cheap cables for damn sure just are noisy and well tone suck and dont sound good IME.

I like having rugged cables. That sound good. That dont constantly pop or hiss...that dont have noise that I dont have to replace over and over again.

This is my experince with some cables of the past even some Livewires I hate to say not just the red ones. Monster cables, Planet Waves, Hosa, Strukture all day.

You dont nees a lot of money but a decent ammount and your need to know where to look for a good sounding rugged cable.

Ive also found yeah .....of course simple EQing goes a long way. This is elementary sir......its just the basics here but given that a good cable takes you even further my friend.

Trust me when I say you get a Radio Shack Cable or one from the Dollar Store or something vs even a Musicians Gear Cable.....My friends Musicians Gear cable is so damn noisy. Hes getting a new one now because he realized this is the issue and weakness in this rig he spent good money on.

Your ganna hear the difference. So yeah next time you need cables. If you dont then thats better but IME this counts. Not mega $$$ bucks on a cable but defintaly not 5 to 10 bucks. Chances are those are bad and even some cables costing 40 to 50 bucks are just as noisy but your likely to get even noisier with really low cost ones.

Get a 10 pack bulk of the ebay ones for 20 bucks/quid.

Use another 20 bucks and compare those to any random cable on the real market.

Your ganna hear a difference and well your probably ganna hear a lot of noise too with those cheaper ones unless you play really really volumes and all you do is play clean. If you dont more power to you but this is IME.

Cables matter sir IMO.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 2:31 PM
    3bolt79 likes this.
  5. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

Jimmy Hendrix played a coiled cord for maximum capacitance.
    Do guitar players think he had good tone?

3bolt79, Jason D and The-Kid like this.
  6. The-Kid

"BuBubUt Jimi used Coily Cables"

The bunker mentality......he also didnt use any of the cables that made it on the bottom of the list here. The stuff the Magazines have trained us to believe is the best.

Yeah he also used a Buffer before a fuzz.....

I already brought this up.....his legacy isnt a coily cable its the buffer and how to use it properly.

Perhaps there was a time he used it to tame the impedance and well by the time he got the buffer it didnt matter as that solved it and it just stuck at that point.

Trust me his tone had a lot more to do than some coily cable. Namely his hands and his buffer helping his wah and fuzz work well together.

Again people overstate the coily cable.....

And always fail to mention he used buffers to correct impedance in the end not a coily cable.

Cheers.

Either way I bet he still wanted to go for the quitest cable possible.

Can you please forget about capacitance and also factor in noise. Some of the low capacitance cables scored high on noise some of the high capacitance cables scored high on noise also.

Please stop focusing on solely capacitance......this is what your coily cable is based on.

Consider floor noise and consider mechanical noise. Capacitance isnt everything and again I bet Jimi liked a quite cable 100%.

Solely worrying about capacitance is IMO the way the corporations have trained us to think.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

I had hardly read any of the thread so I didn't see that capacitance was already discussed.
    I thought/assumed that the measurements in the graphics that were posted were capacitance measurements.

In spite of the words I typed :) my actual point is not really about capacitance, but about grabbing something that works and sounds good to your ear.

I certainly agree with the noise floor and mechanical noise and durability being important factors...
    If you have ever been annoyed by a failed cable connection and having to return or replace it, I highly recommend learning to solder and making your own cables from whatever type of wire and whatever connectors (Switchcraft, Neutrik whatever)you determine to be the best. It'll save you tons of cash.
    The profit margin on cables is mind boggling. Absolutely astounding.

Selling cables is like having a money tree in your back yard.

The-Kid, 3bolt79 and Jason D like this.
  8. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely. To be totally honest, I don’t remember the last time I bought a guitar cable. It’s been years. I just fix what I have and go with it.

Triple Jim, stratmatt777 and The-Kid like this.
  9. longboard blues

longboard blues Strat-Talker

but you're doing exactly the same thing. You didn't conduct these tests. you haven't played most of these cables. You're regurgitating stuff you found, you just happen to like it more, so you've decided the test you had no part in is right and all others are wrong.
    Fascinating to see such a lack of self awareness. Are you in your teens?

The-Kid and roadhog96 like this.
  10. The-Kid

In the future I will be conducting a review and may not even do a sound test and recording as I may not have the ability to do it well as I am limited in my capabilities on that front.

I will base the review of my ears and I appreciate the the feedback but I will in the end do this because honestly sometimes there is no appeasing people like you and thats not meant as an offense its just your never going to agree and thats clear. Even if I had the ability to do it in a good way you will find some way to disagree whatever the case.

I will leave the sound stuff to guys like Max and them and I will just do a written review of the cables. I will also get ahold of Mogami Platinums, EBS, Lava and Planet Waves and some of the others that did bad on the test and just review them like any other in as fair a way as I can.

I will also include some like GLS that may not have been on the test and some others like Livewire and will only use their top tier.

Thanks again for your input man. For reals we need people like you in a discussion to keep things fair and on that end I appreciate you being here.

Im gann wait for the summer for this one.

Im pretty pooped after this season and need rest.....

Cheers

3bolt79 and roadhog96 like this.
  11. longboard blues

Utter nonsense. As i said, i'm in the business of test and QA. I *know* what makes a good test, or a bad one - and I know when someone doesn't. I'm currently reviewing $40m worth of test approach for a huge bank infrastructure upgrade - i really do know what i'm talking about.
    I'll agree when you show some intellectual rigour, when you're insisting on representing something as truth.

i'm uninterested in appeasement - i'm merely seeking honesty, which you've failed to display repeatedly.
    And I laughed out loud when you squeaked about people regurgitating information - i repeat, you haven't done these tests, and you have not played all these cables - now tell me in what way you are *not* regurgitating information!?!?

What a surprise. :rolleyes:

So your ability to tell a good cable from a bad one by ear is just a claim , then. Any other reasons we should take anything you say seriously, as you've proven with the amplifier claim , and this claim, that you aren't able to back up any of your words.

Seriously - i don't mean any of this personally, but you are representative of a lot of what is bad about the net - anyone can make unevidenced claims, and expect to be taken seriously. Do you genuinely think that you deserve to be taken seriously based on your history? And if anyone calls you out you back into claims that you're in secret discussions, or can't reveal what's you've said to X manufacturer because reasons. And then double down...

I suggest you have a long hard think about the nature of evidence and claims.

username checks out...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 9:20 PM
    Bladesg and Jason D like this.
  12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

I ate a ton of chili today and have wicked farts tonight :D:eek::D

3bolt79 and Jason D like this.
  13. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

14. TheMadStratter

TheMadStratter Strat-Talk Member

I don't throw away cables. Last night my Fulltone 15' cable went bad. Trying to find another is nigh near impossible. So, I cut behind the bad connection, trimmed back the sheath, unsoldred the bad & reattached the new to the plug. Works as well as it ever did. Saved me more than a few $ because good cables ain't cheap.

15. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Cool. I have a Whirlwind that I bought in the late '70s. I've redone the ends, changed one end to a Silent Plug, and even cut a few inches out of the middle where the center conductor broke, and used heat-shrink to put it back together. It's shiny now, from the rug polishing it, and it's still in service.

16. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

17. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

Do you realize now you have a lower capacitance cable and your tone will be better.

18. longboard blues

the OP will back you up - after all, he doesn't need to play using a certain cable to be able to say it has better tone, as the whole thread shows. What a remarkable talent, eh!

19. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

I would like to see a "How to" shop for a cable guide that lists what parameters to look at when selecting a cable, as for many of us, we must buy online, without being able to try them before we buy. And have this info put into a chart like @mapleglo provided. Until then, I will probably just keep on using what has worked for me for themlas six or so years. It would be great because as I've said previously, I kind of discovered the brand I use by chance. And, if there is something that works as well as what I use at considerably less cost, I would want to try that.

mapleglo, The-Kid and Jason D like this.
  20. The-Kid

Im not here for you approval of for you specifically to convince you.

I am merely here to present this data for the player and reader at large. You can take it any way you like. Dont believe me do? Whatever.

Its not a big deal to me. Im just one guy and well I dont have those type of resources to go all out.

So you claim Im not holding some standard. Why dont you hold the Magazines to the same standard.

All I am doing is revealing 3rd party data. The manufacturer specs are inconsistent with this data. And some top dollar cables again as said many times have proved to be higher noise and well higher capacitance than advertised

Make what you want from it. Other people see this clear as night and day and well its not my fault you dont or choose not to.

Your free to believe whatever you want just like anyone else. You have that right as do I.

Its awesome :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.