Top 5 Best Cables for Players 2020

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by The-Kid, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

I will start on this ASAP and shoot you preliminary outlines.

I was ganna take a break. But my fire has been rekindled and well yes this will be done ASAP.

Thanks for the feedback and will do.

Somethings such as doing a sound test I am limited in resources know how etc. Im just one dude here.

Not a mega corp....

And well thanks for the support and will do.

2. Seegs

Seegs Strat-Talk Member

Since 1997 Evidence Audio Lyric HG, Siren, SirenII, Source.

For Instrument, Patch, speaker and power!

Last 7 or so years EA Forte for Instrument and patch.

Done lots of shootouts never a chance of switching

3. DaMasta

DaMasta Strat-Talk Member

Good thing no one mentioned there is a difference between single coil and humbucker pickups and the noise they produce :)

Bob the builder and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That was on my mind as well. I think that any future charts should have values for both. What do you think? @The-Kid

5. The-Kid

I wouldnt be able to do that as I dont have that equipment.

I want to base the chart of Max readings and use that as he already has the readings on his test for noise diffusion that set up a real world scenerio with an amp and two DS pedals to measure noise floor and the mechanical noise made from movement of the cable that may cause hiss, pop and squel.

These readings stand and should be factored in as well as capacitance.

The stone test will not be factored in as it was a reverse groundloop that doesnt apply to real world scenerios and was just for S and gigles and wasnt even applied to the final ranking as there is no real world aplication here or scenerio involving this reverse groundloop.

I really wouldnt be able to measure noise here myself as I dont have instruments for that type if test or any of them.

The best I can do is make a chart based of Max data.

6. The-Kid

Regarding the single coil vs humbucker Max does the test so I will forward him the idea as hes really the guy who does this real testing. I just analyze it and well I just write and he does the test.

Also will work out a chart ASAP based on Max test but also regarding the "Ear Test".

I will not include chart data as well as I want the player to know what they are paying for and where their cash is being spent feature wise aside from the sound, my opinion and recordings.

Mogamis, EBS, Dimarzio, Planet Waves, Klotz, Rockboard for the cables that scored on the bottom or did whatever based of test vs the top five I recommend on the opposite end Mooer, Providence, MXR, Ernie Ball etc. Total of 12 cables tops. Throw GLS and Livewire in to as they are popular and I might include Divine Noise if theres room.

At this point I will be fair to all cables and note distinctions and well be as objective as possible as I feel I already made my point about the charts....

The question here is how do they perform in real situations. Okay here I may do some recording if possible and I get the right people. Its just Im limited in resources guys and please understand how hard this is already.

As much as I suck I will record some samples as best I could with the cables mentioned.

Again this will be an ear test and I will be judging based of real ear and well the recordings. Im sure I can find a college friend with an interface and shure whatever the hell :)

Okay @longboard blues.

Lets do it then man. Main reason I didnt want to do the recording is well I kind of suck and well am embarased but if its thats what it will take....even if it wont convince you in the end I will do it then.

I will base my review based of real world in room experience and well you guys would have samples I record for refrence if all goes well. I now get that a review based of my writing alone wont translate to many and well yeah recording here is a given so ai can be as transparent and well honest as possible.

I want to be honest here guys and I hope you realize that.

This time for reals. I know this is going to be a challenge here but Im down.

It may take a 3 or 4 months before I get there but Im game after all.

Lets do it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    3bolt79 likes this.
  7. The-Kid

Please give me advice as what the best methods to record and most fair would be?

Thank you for all suggestions and yeah. This is going to happen. I made up my mind and Im going to do it full step no turning back now @longboard blues

Thanks man. You make some good points and well I should live up to some of these standards I set for others. I should set to myself.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. longboard blues

longboard blues Senior Stratmaster

cool, because you've failed to do so.

Regurgitated data that someone else put together, let's not forget.

several thousand words by you says different.

If they present data they have no knowlege off as absolute fact, and claim characteristics for tone of cables they have never used, i will. I don't read magazines. i prefer to play my guitar.

ah, so you agree it's regurgitated then - which is ,let's recall, what you were criticising others for.

WIthout comparing their test setups - something you're incapable of doing - this is meaningless.

yes, i choose not to believe evangelical opinions dressed up as (bad) science, by someone with no idea of what they're talking about.

You can believe bananas are marsupials and cars run on gravy. it doesn't make it fact.

Are you ever going to be honest about your claims? Or hide behind fantasies of talks with manufacturers.

The-Kid likes this.
  9. longboard blues

PErhaps you should play the guitar more and post less. I'm sure you suck less than you believe.

if you set up a proper double blind test i'm prepared to be convinced.

So here is a valid and appropriate test process.

Someone else records a piece of music through multiple different cables - same guitar, same amp settings, etc. You are not present for the recording.
    these recordings are saved as 1 to X. The person doing the recording maps the cables used to the number. you are not privy to this info.
    you then listen back, and see which ones have what you think is the best tone. then we can see if your notions are correct, or if you are suffering from confirmation bias.

Seems reasonable. I look forward to the test.

3bolt79 and The-Kid like this.
  10. The-Kid

Hey thanks so much for the feedback.

What if I litereally put a blind fold on in a chair facing the opposite way
    Okay I kind of want to do the first part based of my personal experience like for the writing part like give my impressions of the sound and well the build the feel of it.

I have a Princeton and AC15C1 so those are two good templates.

The second part I litterally wanted to get a blindfold with me facing the opposite end. Just like mummy wrap and like alot so theres no fooling anyone air tight right. I'll even put masking tape or electrical tape in Xs on my eyes.

Then I play each one for 30 seconds or a minute. Again listen to each recording blindfolded the whole time eating a burrito or something and then make my conclusion after listening to recordings while litterally blind folded.

And then overlap my written conclusions and my literal blindfold conclusions all in flow with no swipes or cut outs in video.

I'll even spin a wheel so to pick the cables as Im blindfolded or something. Or asign numbers to the cables and then pick out of a hat while blindfolded while a friend sets it up.

Real mega blindfold here no joke.

And then the reader and viewer could hear for themselves too while Im blindfolded and make their own conlclusions that way too @longboard blues.

3bolt79 likes this.
  11. The-Kid

@longboard blues or I may go with your second suggestion as apart of a blindfold test. I mean whats more valid or more easy or inbetween.

I mean if I could pull of the literal Blindfold or the other blindfold. I could do the literal blind fold easier in a sense of my resources.

Im just trying to do the best here with what I got. I was just thinking of doing the recordings and letting the player decide for themselves as I dont really want to choose a best cable....

I just want to really bring up my real world impressions of the cables in a positive light if possible and then just record.

I wasnt really thinking of doing a blind test as well. But I may consider it.

I dont want to make the second part this vs that as so much just how these things perform and sound in recordings.

I really feel this is the best option given my resources and well Im down to record.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. longboard blues

Nope. Too easy to rig. Different ends on cables. Different feel to the outers. Like I say, I do this stuff for a living.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. longboard blues

You did that when you used the words better and best.

14. The-Kid

Okay okay. I appreciate the feed back.

I will just go for a standard write and a standard recording of all cables. I wont bag on any and well just write up my impressions of each in best a light as I can. No bagging on anything.

I will then record with all 12 or 13 cables and just let the reader and their ear decide what they like. Will be using 2 10 foot leads and the MXR patches as I cant afford getting patches or would want to ask anybody already participating for patches.

And in a similar fashion to MAX I will donate these to players who need and want them on the forums to give back to the community and show that this isnt about free cables after the test. Its just about us here guys. I just want more people to be aware of it and I feel its important.

Thanks again guys.

Data will included. Just writing and in house review and followed by recordings in house as best I can.

I hope its a good compromise and well again thanks for the feedback and I will proceed in this path.

This is the test and how I will conduct it. Its already IMO to a higher standard or as high as the stuff people in Magazines do as well they dont go that far and just offer write ups and no recordings for the most part so I feel Im doing more than my part here and I hope you understand.

Im just a guy here. Doing my best.

Thank you for your feedback and cheers!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    3bolt79 likes this.
  15. longboard blues

You have no idea how they conduct their tests .
    Once again, I’m paid rather well to understand this kind of thing.

What’s stopping you doing a proper blind test? I’ve explained how. It’s intellectually dishonest to do it a different way. Your test is simply not valid. It’s not a test, it’s an opinion. We already know your opinion. You’re not doing your best, you’re trying to find away that lets you pretend you’ve done something when you haven’t.

I’m wasting my time here with someone who is determined not to apply any rigour.

16. The-Kid

Its not about a blind test?

So I can then decide whats the best. Your the one who wants to make it a blind test and thats not the point here.

Your missing the point here.

Its about writing up without bagging or ripping on anything. And then recording so the player can then decide for themselves.

Im not going to do a blind test because I dont see a point here as well thats subjective to my opinion and my ear.

This way I have my opinion written and the recording and cables speaks for themselves.

I just brought up recordings so there are samples of each cable for people to listen to.

Thats good enough and well more than any Magazine Ive seen provide so yes.....

You welcome. Please go advice the Magazines how to conduct "fair" test man and tell them how their test arent valid.

First....."no recordings this aint fair....."

Then okay your ganna record " but do a blind study like Harvard or something" like who that reviewed cables in a Mag? Aside from coat hanger test.....but yeah.....okay...good stuff.

And well yeah Im even down to do the real literal blindfold now just to really stick it as you said its to easy.

Ima have a friend put them in. While Im blind folded...with X"s and tape. While I draw randomly out of a hat numbers assigned to them And youd still bring up soemthing? What then?

Or I do what you suggest and then I dont do it a specific way or ?!??!

This is my test and my way. You like it.....cool. You dont. Make your own damn test. Use your time and effort and well do it yourself. But this is how Im going to do it so like it or leave it fellow.

The write up and recordings are more than enough and well more than most before have offered so again.

I mean Im being more than good on my end here there really is no zero appeasing you.

Again Write up and Recording Samples of each for player to decide. If you dont like. Do your own test.

Nothings stoping you. Or better yet write to the Magazines and tell them to do it better.

Im just a regular guy.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. The-Kid

And its my test so you know what @longboard blues

I will include the data Max used along the written review and recordings.

Cheers.

Again my test. My rules. Like it. Nice.

You dont make your own test.

I feel Ive done more than enough by offering the recordings.

If it was up to folks like you. Well this video would never see the light of day or these finding would never see the light of day because youd keep hounding it like you had no other thing to do but to keep people away from this data Max has and what its shown people everywhere.

That good cables dont have to cost an arm and a leg and well if you are going to spend so much there may be better options than what you initially thought.

Thats the point and more and more people are aware of it now more than ever.

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. mark1406

mark1406 Strat-Talk Member

A cable with the lowest capacitance traditionally has the lowest high frequency losses. Though if you have a decent cable this isn't going to be much of a problem. I have George L cables that are as old as the hills, they work, they sound good enough. Why would I waste time and money buying 20 cables.

Better tone is a achieved by quality practise, though most people try and buy good tone.

19. The-Kid

Im still waiting on some of the developing cables here guys and well this takes real time and and energy from the companies.

Could be 3 months or 6 months. Hell maybe a year I dont know. But its ganna. Please be patient.

I already got MXR and a few others on the way just waiting for the redeveloping cables. How long that will take....... I dont know.

I just wish they made them faster.

Thanks again for all the support guys.

Cheers

20. longboard blues

You simply don’t know what blind testing is.
    I’m sure that made sense in your head.

forget it. You’re merely interested in supporting your own predetermined conclusions. I have no interest in your pretences, be it about amplifiers you made up, or that you’re working with cable companies, or your sense of victim hood.

No longer interested in your fantasies.

3bolt79 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.