1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Top 5 Best Cables for Players 2020

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by The-Kid, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

For someone who’s not interested, you sure seem to come back to this thread a lot. He’s going to do the test anyway, why not help him? I mean guide him on how to do it properly. I am interested in getting some of this info in a chart. I think it’s a great idea. But I do see your point of getting results that can be replicated and will hold up to scrutiny in a scientific kind of way. @longboard blues

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    808K likes this.
  2. longboard blues

longboard blues Senior Stratmaster

I did. I explained what a proper test would be. He decided he’d do it in a way that suits his preconceptions, and ignore standard test methodology. He’s also a fantasist, remember the fender amplifier tall tales? I was trying to get him to make his claims have some robust validity, he chose tantrums instead. *shrugs*.

hexnut and Bladesg like this.
  3. 3bolt79

No I’m afraid I missed that thread. I will try to find it. I think it would be cool if we could have a strat talk cable shoot out, using a proper test, and then use the cables for a year and see which ones hold up to daily use. I can see the value in this project if done the right way. I wonder why Guitar world would do a test using cables from their paid advertisers. It seems to me that we could get some good info, if the people doing the testing weren’t paid by the people whose products they are testing.

The cables that I’ve been using, the oldest ones are six years old, and the newest is about two or three. I’ve used a few of the brands that @The-Kid reviewed, but they broke after a few months worth of use.

4. hdsteele

hdsteele Strat-Talker

Wow. 17 pages on an amateur guitar cable test. This validates my conviction that mental hospitals are entirely underrated.

Stratoskater, s5tuart and Bladesg like this.
  5. 3bolt79

I wasn’t just a supervisor at one, but I’m also a patient:D

6. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Vendor Member

You just want a blind test.

Whats the difference that I record or do a blind test.

Its for the listener to consider the different recordings and cables. Thats the point to have samples of each.

Now unless your ready to give some positive input and well not be so toxic please get out. I explained already I will not be choosing a winner.

Its for the consideration of the player to hear samples. What dont you understand about that?

Thats how Im doing it because its the simplest and makes the most sense. Im simply going to record samples for the reader to hear for themselves.

7. datsunrobbie

datsunrobbie Strat-Talk Member

I've been using the same 25 foot Pro-Co Excalibur cable for over 20 years. I bought two, just to have a backup in case one quit, but the first one is still going strong. Sadly, it appears that Pro-Co has quit making them, and I have no specs to compare with current cables. My ears say they are great cables.

The-Kid likes this.
  8. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    Be nice

Nate D, ZlurkCorzDog and The-Kid like this.
  9. The-Kid

Hey guys its kind of a lot to deal with all this.

Ima just take a fat break for myself.

I hope people found it useful. I will do the review as soon as I get the cables whenever that may be.

Again any cable anyone is comfortable on playing with is fine and should work for them as long as they are happy with it. I just wanted to let others know of the stuff I found and I think Ive done enough.

Thanks again guys.

Until the next review

Cheers,

10. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

@The-Kid

I'm sorry if I appeared to pick on you I was just having fun but if I went to far I hope I didn't upset you.

Now for something helpful:

Test away but consider that if you only use your ears as the end result it really won't be anything more that whats allready been done. In my opinion you need to provide sound clips of your tests and then let the listeners decide for themselves what they hear or don't hear.

duzie and The-Kid like this.
  11. The-Kid

Yeah thats what I plan on doing. I will also buy a measurement device and measure the cables myself for capacitance.

I was going to wait for the companys to finish making their new cables but I really dont see a point as this could take months or years to be honest.

No ones know?They dont know?My crystal ball dont know?

I dont have time to wait and wonder. Thats not my style.

I have information about which ones got what at this point and to be real here I can use it to benefit one vs the other. Pit one against this one or that but. For my selfish interest or theirs......Its hard to be here guys, I never thought it would be this hard to tame my inhibitions but its never been harder than this in my life and being honest here, its hard guys.......there are somethings I regret now and well.......

Just so I am clear and they are clear I dont want their to be any conflict of interest and any info I have shared about the companies with each other so far or otherwise will stop on my part as its a heavy conflict of interest and I want to keep my integrity for my self and everyone on the forums out of respect for those cable companies, myself and the community. I have to hold myself to a higher standard.

They are all nice people and I dont want to be deceitful to anyone out of respect to the reader and the forum members I truly respect I admire not just here but on the other forums as well.

This is my home and well Im glad it became an even bigger deal here than anywhere else. I wouldnt have it any other way.

You have no idea how nice these people are at the companies guys and they are really in it to make better products for us for our enjoyment.

The point of this thread so I never forget and never loose sight of it ever again.......

The point here is to show players more diverse options for their money and to benefit the guitar player.

For the guitar player to be aware of the value their cable brings to their guitar and their amplifier and to the world through their music.

To explore a new way of thought and new avenues of imagination and thinking through music and the cable and to keep on looking over the horizon and always to quench the thirst of ever better and better tone or the best possible.

Whatever money you may have or e
    whatever you may want out of your cable or expect. This thread seeks to explore that in a more objective way than ever done before and I hope together we can get there

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  12. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Sounds like everyone has the info they need from this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.