Join Strat-Talk Today

Totally befuddled cashier today

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by jaybones, May 22, 2018.

1. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster

The girl who served Jaybones would not have noticed ;)

2. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Maybe the real lesson here is ,you should keep your 3 cents to yourself :D:p:whistling:

BallisticSquid and henderman like this.
  3. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

They have already added in that processing fee to their prices, and cash isn't free. Somebody has to deal with it, keep it secure, physically take it to the bank, count it and hope it doesn't make them a robbery target.

4. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525 Strat-Talk Supporter

Very good points!
    I fear we may also eventually see the demise of actual stores, except of course small convenience stores, furniture retailers, restaurants etc.

Having a physical store diminishes the profit margins after paying staff, business rates, utilities, and losing stock to ever more sophisticated shoplifters and staff pilfering.
    Marks and Spencer is a prime example of diminishing physical stores and boosting the online presence having just announced another round of stores closing.

Maybe it's time to invest in a GOOD courier company with the huge increase in online shopping. Certainly NOT Hermes!!!!!

5. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    "Give me some calculus and I'm quite happy, but ask me what $7.47 - $3.91 is or whatever, and I'd just fall on the floor and dribble.'"

My wife and youngest daughter are the same. Daughter is a sophomore taking AP Calc (among others) and my wife watches Harvard Chemistry lectures on youtube for FUN. Daughter routinely asks me questions like "what's 18-5?" and my wife can't tell her left from her right.

6. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Did the till not do it for here? Ring up the cost, type in the tendered, tells you the change?

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  7. Wrighty

Bet it's usually up! Happened in the UK when we went decimal Prices won't rise' they told us, but they did. Anything that didn't convert exactly into the new currency was always rounded up, never down. Something that came out at 25.1p became 26, not 25p.

8. ChaplainMike

ChaplainMike Strat-Talker

Usually all they have to do is punch in the amount you gave them and the computer figured it out for them

9. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Very sad. Call me old-fashioned, but I do think basic math skills are highly relevant for a cashier position...

s5tuart likes this.
  10. Chimp93

Chimp93 Strat-Talk Member

A studying engineer and a cashier (sometimes), I do blank a little, but I'll usually get it quick enough. I find its more a reliance on technology and often the cashier like myself might have other jobs on there mind and have to snap out of my robotic procedure mode. I wasn't there so no real idea, but I get it haha.

West Coast Idea and Mansonienne like this.
  11. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

I am not sure whether I was lucky or not, when I did my apprenticeship (Toolmaker) we had to regularly mentally convert fractions (of an inch) to decimal and back again which I can still do now, then they changed it all to metric and .039370" ended up as 1mm. I suspect someone has been having a laugh with me:mad:
    laugh.jpg

s5tuart and Mansonienne like this.
  12. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

The problem is they should have learned that in 3rd grade math class

ukoldgit and Mansonienne like this.
  13. carver

carver Gone strangling Strat-Talk Supporter

some folks are good with numbers and others arent

my wife is a good person and she is very talented at what she does. she makes crazy money... more than most people I know.

but she cant do fast math if her life depended on it. thats why Im around :)

Gaddyman and Mansonienne like this.
  14. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Ah....all this talk of money....reminds of days past when I actually had some :(:(....that would be the days before the big "D"....:):)

15. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Next time, just whip out one of these to save the day

[​IMG]

jaybones, ukoldgit and Mansonienne like this.
  16. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I worked part time in local shops from when I was 14 or 15 selling sweets, cigarettes etc. & I was taught to always count out change. But I don't see how giving the cashier 3 cents helped at all. The change without that was $2.42. After you gave her 3c it was $2.45. Why bother? All you did was make things more complicated without any benefit as a result.

o_O

17. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-O-Master

This used to be considered a basic skill. And like most, it had to be learned.

Maybe she was new on the job? In that regard, the simple arithmetic we all learned early on now has the added dimension of working quickly and providing cheerful customer service. OJT.

I predict stories like this will become more commonplace as we go increasingly cashless.

18. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

She had already put in AMT TEND $10.

I don't like pennies and usually don't take them.

My belief is reinforced by the government spending more than they're worth to mint them.

19. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-Talker

Haha. I'm okay with left and right, but you know what... I ALWAYS have to stop and think which is east and which is west. North and south are fine, but with east and west I always have to stop and think. Odd! :confused:

20. Wrighty

You guys over the pond have no idea what it was like in the UK pre-decimal. 12 pence (d) to the shilling (s) and 20 shillings to the pound(£). One pound plus one shilling was a guinea. Calculators were useless. We had books of charts called ready reckoned to look up multiples. Prices were written as £1 / 9 / 11. One pound, nine shillings and eleven pence. We had £10, £5 and £1 notes and coins of 1/4d, 1/2d, 1d, 3d, 6d, 1s, 2s and 2s 6d. Nightmare!

ChukkerNation likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.