Totally fake? Or totally sweet strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Shockmaster, May 24, 2020.

1. Shockmaster

Shockmaster Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Local seller is selling this for $1020 as a “60th anniversary US strat” serial number returns nothing on fenders search. The grain and color of the body aren’t like any stock strat I’ve seen outside custom shop or limited editions. clearly the pickups and guard have been changed. That fretboard looks like it has some type of marbling in the wood? Also not a stock fender thing in my experience. Even the color of the back of the neck seem a little off to me. Any info and opinions is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Its legit, but it's not that model - this one is from 2016, the 60th anniversary CASE is from 2014......they don't go together.....

The pickguard is obviously swapped, it looks like a modified American Standard from 2016, walnut body may or may not be original.....I usually type the serial number in here but for yours nothing comes up, that doesn't mean it's fake - it means somebody missed entering into the database....

https://www.fender.com/product-registration/serial-search

3. Shockmaster

Shockmaster Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Yeah I typed that into the same database. I usually have luck with info on newer US models. I know MIJ and MIM have issues turning info on fenders website. Seems to be a little on the high end for a 2016 standard.

johnnymg likes this.
  4. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

And that is surprising, as the Fender database is generally very complete after the mid 2000s.
    It is worth touching base with Fender CS, email with the SN and images.

Also disturbing is the lack of "Made in U.S.A." or my late 2017 simply says "Corona, CA" on the headstock below the SN.

Walnut was a color option for the 2017 American Special, but I don't recall it as being what appears to be clearcoated natural wood, I remember it as being simply brown paint.

The streaking on the neck reminds me of the Ebony that became available last year.
    Once again, very odd for it to be on a '16 Standard.

It very well could be an FSR, and if so, if it is 100% legit, it is extremely nice and maybe even worth $1000.
    But knowing that the case is incorrect, it raises questions as to the authenticity of the rest of it.

5. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Since I'm not a fan of the "splashy" fretboard or brown body...

6. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

That's one ugly thing if you ask me lol

Stratwrangler likes this.
  7. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

I'm with you there fake or not that things fugly.

8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

Being colorblind doesn't even help this one.

That's got partscaster written all over it.

Stratwrangler likes this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

I'm surprised at all the negative comments. I think it looks really good, except for the pickguard.

10. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

American Standards/American Professionals have the "Made in USA" or "Corona, CA" or "Corona, California" on the front of the headstock below the "Fender" logo decal, like this one does.

It's most like a parts guitar with at least a Fender replacement neck - it seem like the replacement necks don't always show up in the Fender database based on a thread from a few weeks ago. Based on the US16xxxxxx serial number and "Corona, CA" the neck is most likely American Professional spec.

11. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I would agree.... and a call/email to Fender would confirm whether that SN is from a replacement neck.
    I have three MiM Fender necks and none are listed in the database.

Hard to tell if there is a hole through the neck pocket for the micro-tilt... though that is not hard to fake, especially since it is a simple T-nut and grub screw and no longer a special plate like the 3-bolt had.

12. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

That beautifully finished apparently-walnut body does seem like it could be a Warmoth. I have a Warmoth walnut bodied guitar and they know how to do a clear finish. I certainly don't know enough about what Fender has made to judge though. And from the photo of the neck plate I'd guess that adjustment hole is real.

CB91710 likes this.
  13. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

That silica gel pack is fake.

TomH8 likes this.
  14. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-O-Master

Call me a hardnose, but if something's been swapped (more than just a fret job), it's no longer "original."