Trade a MIM Classic Series 60s body for my CV 60s body?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by WilseyFanPDX, Aug 1, 2020.

1. WilseyFanPDX

WilseyFanPDX Strat-Talker

I had a client offer to trade me his (heavier, 8 lbs) MIM Classic Series 60s body straight across for my '09 Classic Vibe body(lighter, 7.1 lbs). Honestly, mine is pretty sweet and looks beautiful, and light, made of Alder same as his. Anyone know what big differences between the two might be? Is the MIM wood quality better? Would it be in my best interest to "upgrade" to a MIM CS?

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

Fender product will probably have better resale value, IMO. Most buyers in local markets will see “squier” and will offer less. Classic series 60s are very high end MIM guitars, and CV are high end squier.

I would take the Fender, if all other things are equal- condition, and if it’s a color I like. Are they both the same color?

I love my CV body, because it’s fiesta red, and the finish is nice.

I do believe that the CS60s bridge is vintage spaced (my 50s is)

So make sure you get the bridge with it, or else you will have to search for one.

I LOVE Classic vibes, but I don’t think they are superior to CS60s strats in any way.

3. WilseyFanPDX

Same color, but mine is almost a pound lighter, which actually makes a big difference to me, and to him also, which is why he wants to trade. I was really curious about wood quality between the two.

4. nickmsmith

My CV’s wood quality is excellent, and the wood quality and every part on the CS series was great, too. You can’t go wrong, unless the body is somehow compromised or damaged.

I personally don’t know why he would trade for a CV body. I believe you would be the winner of that trade. The CV was a 400 dollar guitar, the CS was double that. If I were you, I’d take that trade every time, if the color is the same.

I would question why he would gut the value of his guitar, to trade down in body value.

5. WilseyFanPDX

He just wants a lighter Strat body. He's tired of his 8lb guitar, says it kills his back anymore after all-nighter gigs. He saw mine and was surprised at how nice it was! Honestly, I'm having my doubts regardless of value.

6. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    If you're only talking about swapping the body I don't see any benefit for you in this deal. I personally don't like lightweight guitars and would make the trade. My current FR Strat only weighs 6.0 lbs and I really want a heavier body, but this one is so resonant and I love the look so I haven't bought a replacement yet.

[​IMG]

WilseyFanPDX likes this.
  7. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Senior Stratmaster

If you like yours stick with it.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Only if you have the MIM vintage 2 7/32" bridge and like vintage string spacing.

nickmsmith likes this.
  9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, you'd be turning your guitar into a partscaster and LOWERING its value by half.....it's not an upgrade at all.....

Untouched CV guitar = $300-350 used

MIM body and CV neck guitar = $200 used MAX

10. nickmsmith

I’d think a body of that type is worth at least 150, the neck at least 100, and the pickups at least 40, Loaded pickguard probably more, maybe $60-$75? So even if he parted it out, it would be nearly a wash, and if he gets a body that he likes better, can’t see how it’d be a bad deal for him.

i would certainly pay 300 for a used CV with a CS60s body. If I found one local, I’d buy one immediately.

the CS 60s string spacing would be my only concern.

would I make the trade? Maybe. If my guitar plays perfectly, I don’t know if it’d be worth it to go through the trouble of soldering, remounting hardware and doing a new setup. But if he loves the new body, I don’t see why not.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Guitarmageddon likes this.
  11. Guitarmageddon

Yes, separated - parts guitars are worth more taken apart than together and assembled, that was the point I was trying to make.....I wouldn't want a parts guitar myself and some others might not either.....

nickmsmith likes this.
  12. Neophyte16

Neophyte16 Strat-Talker

Where can I find this?

nickmsmith likes this.
  13. Lonn

Admin Post
    That's ridiculous. A CV Squier with an MIM neck is almost always going to bring more money because many people don't like the thick orange finish on the CV necks. An MIM neck alone will get almost $200 these days with the higher used prices. Ask me how I know. Same goes for loaded CV bodies.

Viking and nickmsmith like this.
  14. Guitarmageddon

EXACTLY, but the OP is not going to have an MIM neck and a CV body, he's going to have a CV neck and an MIM body!! a CV neck is only about $100-ish.....

I am also someone who believes due to my experience that MIM is total crapola, and Squier is better....

15. Guitarmageddon

Forget it......you guys just don't understand! I'm trying everything I can to make the OP not destroy his intact factory CV.....

WilseyFanPDX likes this.
  16. Neophyte16

Neophyte16 Strat-Talker

Im just asking man, so i know where to buy. Since partscaster like that from where im from cost twice or thrice that amount.

nickmsmith likes this.
  17. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

I dont see the pound diffrtence in thee bare bodies. I am guessing his will still be heavier.

I have that mim bofy in burst, and love it and never part with it.

18. Guitarmageddon

They do everywhere, but they shouldn't. To me MIM products from Fender are just awful.....every single one that passed through my hands needed a fret level and crown.....

19. Neophyte16

Neophyte16 Strat-Talker

Im sorry, i didnt meant to offend you. I know there are some places where you can buy lower priced gears (since i've seen some on forums) I just dont know where to look. That's why I asked. Sorry.

20. Lonn

Admin Post
    Yeah I got that backwards. Still though, an all CV guitar with an MIM body is worth more than a stock CV.

nickmsmith likes this.