Trade for 1980 Fender Pro Reverb 70w UL?

Voxman

Strat-Talker
Dec 11, 2020
USA
I have a 2016 Classic Series Lacquer Telecaster I don't play, I'm just not much of a Tele player. Nice guitar but it also heavy, heavier than my Les Paul.

I could trade it for a 1980 Silverface Pro Reverb, in good condition and working order.

Does that sound like a bad trade?

Stevem

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2014
NY
It's a great amp for clean tones, so getting any use out of that as compared to having something sitting around collecting dust is a good move to me!
Also it's a heavy amp, it weighs as much as the same era Twin Reverb.

Last edited:

Stormy Monday

Blooze daddy
Silver Member
Jan 19, 2011
almost gone
I had one for a couple years. Sounds great. No distortion. Totally clean. Way too loud for what I use an amp for, jamming with friends in the barn then my new music room. It left and was replaced with a DR. Still too loud. And very heavy. Sounded good, though

Voxman

Strat-Talker
Dec 11, 2020
USA
Well I traded the Telecaster for a 2021 Vintera Road Worn Stratocaster in Fiesta Red.

Stevem

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2014
NY
So what’s your thoughts if any so far on how it sounds ?

The stock Utah speakers are not the best, and all the ones I have ever worked on including my own when I got it had shot speakers!

Oh yes they worked but since most of these amps where used to play clean and loud the surround’s and the Spider’s of both speakers where shot.

Even the playing of the amp at medium low volumes would have the bottom end farting out well below the clipping volume of the output stage!
Also do not be looking for a true 70 watts of pristine clean power out of these UL amps.
On mine the most I ever got even with added power supply uf and stout new output tubes was 63 watts.

Torren61

Strat-O-Master
Dec 28, 2008
Humboldt County, CA
Something to think about with late 70s through mid 80s Fender amps. Some amps were dialed up in voltage to get as much power as possible out of them. My '79 Bassman70 is pushing 70 watts with a pair of 6L6 power tubes when it SHOULD be down to only 50 watts. That's hard on the tubes. One can use those Russian 5881s and they can handle it but, not knowing much about that Pro Reverb, I'm going to guess it has a pair of 6L6 power tubes and it's going to be pushing 70 watts output like my Bassman. I didn't know all of this before I scored my amp but I do now and I'd stay away from amps like that.