Trading Vintage gear

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by StratChat, Sep 25, 2021.

1. StratChat

StratChat New Member!

Have any/many of you had any luck in trading gear for what you really ‘must have’?
    For example, trading a couple of vintage guitars and amps for something really ‘big’ in one deal?

2. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I do and I just did a couple of hours ago. Traded a vintage amp for another vintage amp. It helps having a trusted vintage music shop that I have been doing business with for years within hour and a half drive

3. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker Silver Member

A couple of years ago I wanted to ‘rotate’ pre-CBS Teles into pre-CBS Strats, the market was very receptive to that particular deal, and it was easy to close some swaps.
    If I had wanted to do the same deals a year or two earlier, they would have been much harder work. Sometimes what you hold is ‘flavour of the month’, sometimes it was ‘last year’s opportunity’…

4. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker Silver Member

A generalisation - it’s much easier to close a deal if you are sweetening it with, say, an additional 30% in cash :)

5. StratChat

StratChat New Member!

Do you find that you are trading wholesale prices for retail prices with dealers? I was thinking there had to be some ‘upside’ to trading rather than selling first and buying later…. Unless you found ‘the one’!

Nokie likes this.
  6. Old Guy

Old Guy Strat-Talker

A few years ago I traded an old LP Jr. in what I thought was poor condition for a new D15M and a baritone uke (whick I later traded for a solid mahogany green label Harmony baritone uke). The peghead on the LP was cracked and it needed new frets. Some parts were not original.

7. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talker

Yeah, I've had strong desires for various guitars at various stores over the years but never to the degree that I would try and trade away my gear knowing the stores generally pay 50% of the price for which they can sell your trade-ins. I've had a couple of friends do such trades and they each took a major hit and now have stories of regret. Now-a-days, it's so easy to sell with Reverb or eBay - and if you're wanting to make the quick sale - sell your gear for a little under the going rate - it'll still be better than the 50% of value you'll get at the store.

While I have sold many guitars over the last 4 decades, I am now down to the real keepers. It's such that every time I consider selling one towards the purchase of something else, I open the case of what I intend to sell and, within a few seconds usually, it's no deal - I ain't selling that beauty. The dream of the new purchase fades gracefully - it doesn't beat the worth of what I currently have.

Tguitarfloyd, Intune and StratChat like this.
  8. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

The only thing vintage around here any longer is me. :(

Nokie and Tguitarfloyd like this.
  9. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

IME over many years, I never come out on top trading with a music store. The simple fact is, they are not in business to break even or lose money.

10. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-O-Master

Last year I traded a 55 LPJunior with a refin top and other more minor issues for a totally clean 55 LPJ. Very happy with the result and the cash figures were fair:D 20201027_163547.jpg

11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Once, Long ago, I traded a 1936 Epiphone Triumph for a complete bass rig….New Fender Jazz Bass and and a 700 watt Bass rig, head, cabs, and cords.

12. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Univox Pro, Giannini Acoustic and $75 bucks for a '74 SG standard with ebony fretboard. Probably the best trade I ever made.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Funny you say that, I’m down to my keepers and I do the same. I see something cool pop up and think I’ll trade/sell one or two off. I grab it, take pics, play it and then end up forgetting about the other deal.

Also the big box stores, Long and Mcquade here in Canada give you 75% trade in value plus the tax on top. Still not really great but it sure beats 50%.

Nokie, Tguitarfloyd and 3bolt79 like this.