Transparent overdrives….nope

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Hendrixlvr, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

Of course it all comes down to personal preference but I think I prefer the mid-boosted, TS circuit too. As long as the gain is set lower and the volume is high enough to boost your amp (or the next gain pedal if you stack them), the good old TS is a terrific lead boost.

I'm not sure if I could use it as an always-on OD though.

The Klones seem to shine more in that regard, as an always-on tone sweetener. I have used my Klone and a Bluesbreaker clone in that role and I have gotten good results. However, I tend to use a lot of effects and it is more difficult for me to get the levels of dirt while retaining clarity with those things than with the TS.

ratdoc and Hendrixlvr like this.
  2. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

I have (and like) both. I like overdrives that have their own thing going on, like a TS. But I also like pedals that just seem to give me *more* of my amp. You can debate whether any pedal can be truly 100% transparent or not. They probably all add something to your tone. But if you have a pedal that gives you more gain and/or volume, but still retains the overall tone and character of your amp (no drastic eq shift), I’d call it transparent.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

My favorite "transparent overdrive" is a EQ pedal.

Textele, StratUp and Chicago Matt like this.
  4. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-O-Master

Me too. I just haven't been able to get along with gain and boost pedals. I especially don't like the compression that goes along with most of them. Since I run my amps turned up so the tubes are hot and distorting a bit with the guitar volume up (usually with an attenuator), an EQ like the G-7 in front works out great. Set it to the tone shape you want and give it 15db or so to drive the amp over the top so it's really singing (no compression but tube compression). I know, very old school. But it keeps the touch sensitivity intact, which I love. I haven't found anything that sounds as good for me, although I've heard a lot of guys that sound great with the other pedals. Maybe I'm just too old to change?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  5. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I end up adjusting most of my OD pedals to do about the same thing. Nothing transparent about them after I set them the way I like them. I apparently have only 2-3 sounds I like from OD pedals and I'd just be throwing cash down an endless rabbit hole if I kept chasing tone because I'd circle around to the same 2-3 tones.

6. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I always thought that I wouldn’t care for a TS but I took the plunge and bought a Keeley Red Dirt and man I love that pedal

7. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

my early model mesa lonestar special i should have never sold had the best spring reverb and built in if you bought a switch for it sounds exactly like you boost i ever heard.

8. funkysoul

funkysoul Strat-Talker

I don't like mids.....i'm ok with my Boss OD-3....its not get much attention

9. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talker

Blues breakers tend to work well with most amps. Enough mids to push a Blackface, but also not so Honky that they sound nasal through a Marshall or Brown Deluxe. They also clean up pretty well with the Gtr volume.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  10. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy Strat-Talk Member

Funny, I no longer like my '83 TS-9 for anything, that mid range quack just doesn't make it for me anymore. Maybe for SRV stuff with huge strings but pretty much meh for anything else. Klon, Bluesbreaker, Timmy, Lovepedal Eternity, OCD all sound better to my ear. I've got the '83 and the 1st reissue 90's version TS-9 made by Maxon and an 80's SD-9 - I guess I'm just over that sound or maybe I've just heard it too much.

11. GhostJam47

GhostJam47 Strat-Talker

The answer is TS (type) --> Transparent Overdrive

I play an FD2--> Timmy. I can toggle the FD2 from Vintage (TS mode) to Comp Cut (Clean boost) and get the best of both worlds.

I don't love the TS sound by itself, but stacked with Timmy, it's great.

12. Dwightcarr11

Dwightcarr11 Strat-Talk Member

I keep an od-r mini, ts mini, tumnus, and pantheon on my board. Find I can use all 4 sounds for different things and combining them gives me even more options!

GhostJam47 likes this.
  13. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

Old school fuzz. No pretense about being transparent

RadioFM74 and The Strat Dude like this.
  14. bmikultyak

bmikultyak Strat-Talk Member

IMHO, just buy a real tube amp where it drives the output tubes. Preferably with a tube rectifier as well for the sag/compression.

15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

I'm afraid you're right ;D And allow me then to suggest a Mooer Blues Crab for the budget-minded wishing to taste the flavour (such a great little pedal), and a Snouse Blackbox for the person wishing to commit to that sound. The Snouse is the closest I have to an "always on" pedal.

Dudeman7 likes this.
  16. Groundwire

Groundwire Strat-Talker

I use the Vick Audio Mt Pleasant, and similar to your Snouse, it can almost be left on at all times…

RadioFM74 and Dudeman7 like this.
  17. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

Fulltone Cream Deja Vibe. Always on. It's on now actually. Vibrato but zero effect. Gain at 4:00.

Literally communist level benefits for all strats.

18. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

That's cause you finally realized that a TS sucks more tone than a cheap.....

joyo

19. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

Each type of OD/Distortion/Fuzz have a use and purpose, and well it always boils down to individual preference

Dik Ellis likes this.
  20. Dudeman7

Dudeman7 Strat-Talker

My Bluesbreaker clone is the Vick Audio Mount Pleasant too. That is great, just like the other Vick Audio pedals I have.

A buddy of mine has a Snouse Blackbox, the one with all of the extra switches on the sides. That thing is great too and it may be the nicest build I have ever seen in a pedal.

The Mount Pleasant does everything I want from a Bluesbreaker clone though.

Groundwire likes this.