Transparent overdrives….nope

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Hendrixlvr, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Strat-Talker

Pete Thorn says to add a little dirt to your amp, and it will make the OD more effective.

2. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Strat-Talker

Yepper. I have a TS9, a Soul Food, a Sparkle Drive, a BBE 427, and a Rowan Dumbler. All are unique in their own way, and help me to expand my musical horizons.

3. Roca81

Roca81 Strat-Talker

I am a beginner but I really like my soul food overdrive. Even if it's in front of a katana mini it sounds beautiful.

4. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

This pedal pictured below is by far the best "transparent" OD pedal I have. Only problem is, I lose it if it ever comes off my pedal board. Really hard to find.

Transparent OD Pedal.jpg

Edited to add an apology: I know that contributed nothing to the thread. Hopefully it made somebody at least grin? :)

But seriously, in one of my bands I use a smaller combo amp as a clean platform and I run a Boss OD-3. With the gain down and the level up I can push it as far as I need to go in that ensemble, which is not too drastic. Never really liked the term "transparent" when it comes to overdrives pedals.

Overdrives, they all do their thing, maybe a little differently, but they all change the voice of the signal to some degree. That's why we use them!

My big rig I use the Friedman (50 watt head) Amp gain about halfway up and only a Boss GE-7 EQ to boost solos, or if I need "more".

We as players definitely hear tons of stuff our audiences could care less about. But it means something to us and THAT matters IMO.

Whatever works for you, their are a million options thankfully, and you can make almost any of them work. :thumb:

I would really like to try the Xotic BB Preamp (I think it's called) the one Andy Timmons collaborated on. They sound nice and smooth (transparent?) on the demos I've heard.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    RadioFM74 likes this.
  5. RL21980

RL21980 Senior Stratmaster

I like the “transparent” ODs. If I want to boost mids I’ll do it on my amp.

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Here's the guts of the Snouse. A work of art ;D

IMG_0710.jpeg

I'd put it in terms of headroom. Traditional ODs were designed so that they would "over-drive" and push into distortion an amp that's already on the verge of saturation. Hence the name. For some OD designs it's pretty much essential. A Treble Booster really works only if your amp is cranked. Ditto for a "Tube screamer", which kicks the mids by design so you slice through the mix during the solo (hence the name: it makes your tubes "scream" rather than "screaming" itself). That's originally the difference with respect to "fuzz" and "distortion" pedals made to add distortion to an otherwise clean signal. (And, yes, a fuzz face still works best in a cranked amp but that's another story… ;D).

Pedals like the Bluesbreaker, BD-2… are a newer breed of OD, whereby "overdrive" becomes rather synonymous with soft clipping. They're designed to work well also in a clean amp, and to simulate the sound of amp breakup. And they do! The Bluesbreaker is a lovely sounding pedal in a clean Fender amp, black or brown (and I assume tweed too).

Dudeman7 and Textele like this.
  7. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

To me , it's like a "formula" , or "recipe" . Your guitar contributes to your tone . Your amp contributes to your tone . Any pedal you use contributes to your tone . You change any of these and "your" tone changes . I have maybe 60 OD pedals and several amps and guitars , each amp/guitar combination will get the best tone only from certain OD pedals . My 2 cents .

8. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Strat-Talker

OK, I feel kind of "busted" on this one. During the "mod anything and everything" craze, I experimented with existing pedals as well as bread-boarding several. I would socket chips and clipping diodes and put in trim pots for bias experiments. In all of that, I may have primarily learned that I agree with the not preferring a more 'transparent' Drive, OD, or Distortion. "Blending" a Fuzz has some fun in it, but it really amounts to actually being able to distinguish more quickly the actual affect on tone because it is so much more radical. Swapping out op-amps to hear the difference a faster slew rate had mostly reduced noise ("hiss") and, pardon the expression, somewhat emasculated the punch of distort/compress emulation of a live amp pushed to the rails (as is aided by a slower slew rate recovery that has the op-amp's own personality of driven distortion/"grit" before the clipping section). Progress came mostly with experiments in asymmetrical clipping using different combinations of diodes for different ratios of clipping per cycle; I could still get great saturation with a more "natural" sounding drive. I think building an OD-1 clone with a clipping section that had a separate switch for both neg and pos cycles to choose from six sets of clippers in any combination was so subtle that it certainly wasn't worth building an on-the-fly digital switching circuit that being too compulsive about the research wasn't nearly as much fun as just playing. So, "boutique"? Get an old Rat, SD-1, Tube Screamer or MT-2. Even the old original LPB-1 wasn't transparent, it was "fat"!

Dudeman7 likes this.