1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Travel amp, headphone, mp3. Decent tone, reliable?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by amstratnut, Oct 17, 2020.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I googled and the first thing that came up was a Joyo thats 22 bux on amazon. While Im tempted for tye price, Im suspicious of the quality/durability for the price.

Does anyone have a portable practice rig they like? Mp3, decent over drive and even delay are ideal so I can practice with jam tracks.

Thanks. Whatcha got?

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I have had good luck with Joyo. If you can beat down the ethical concerns, Joyo rocks.

What Joyo thingie are you looking at? Linkie por favor.

3. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Strat-Talker

I’d much prefer the original Vox Amplug to a knockoff when discussing such a small total cost. Yes it’s twice the price, but $20 vs $40 is a shoulder shrug, really. Swivel plug (great for seated practice), three levels of clean/overdrive/distortion, and three effects available including delay or reverb and chorus or tremolo depending on specific model.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/vox-amplug?typeAheadRedirect=true

The bitter taste of disappointment lingers long after the initial sweetness of a “too good to be true” deal. JMHO.

Stonetone and amstratnut like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

This is the initial version of travel rig I setup back in January when I thought I was going to be spending at least one week a month in a motel room (fortunately, that didn't happen). The Mod Station and Digital Reverb aren't my favorite but it kept the size small. If I was going to replace it or setting it up now, I'd go with a Valeton GP-100. It has the Hotone Binary firmware, including IR loading. Headphones were Sony MDR 7506. I also took along my Vox Mini 3 amp but the walls were so thin in the company approved motel room that I used headphones.

travelrig.jpg

5. amstratnut

While very nice, thats as big as my main board. :eek:

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

It fits in my old computer case for a 15" laptop so that was my criteria. Like I said, I'd get the Valeton unit if I was going to do it over now.

7. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

I've messed around with a lot of stuff, and imo for travel and even for home use, nothing beats the Fly 3,it has a great clean, good drive channel, excellent delay, aux in , headphone out, and it has the best tones.
    I bought one about six months ago, I use it all the time.
    Best travel, practice amp for me , best $ you can spend

duzie, Diamond D and amstratnut like this.
  8. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I used an Amplug2 AC30 for a coue years. Worked great for me. Has an Aux in and headphones out. I just switched to a NUX Mighty Lite and it works surprisingly well. Little 3 watt modeling amp with a 3 inch speaker. You control the models with your phone. Play your background Tracks through the blue tooth or through an Aux in and you can have
    headphones. Super easy to control and no ped board.
    Here is mine the day I got it, trying it out after about an hour of playing with it. Only recoreed with my phone.

amstratnut likes this.
  9. amstratnut

Play Mp3 and guitar thru headphones together?

brians likes this.
  10. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Joyo
    Never heard of...
    Was it?

11. Keith268

Keith268 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

This does everything I need. 82CD20A0-C7B3-4B33-96A2-7E6FB3FC916B.jpeg

amstratnut likes this.
  12. amstratnut

Effects are included? Univibe an reverb?

13. AngeloEvs

AngeloEvs Strat-Talker

The first edition Boss micro BR, mp3, 4 track recorder, effects, amp modelling, drum machine, slow down without changing pitch just to name a few features and all in a tiny pocket size case. Would not be without mine......

amstratnut likes this.
  14. Believer7713

Check this thread out. I give a rundown on what it has. Plus you can see the size of it in my hand.
    https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/nad.554376/

amstratnut likes this.
  15. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-Talker

I just got back from driving California to NY and back. I brought along my Blackstar Fly 3. This little thing a truly amazing. Looks like a toy, sounds like a real amp! Has delay and auxiliary in for an mp3 player. Runs on batteries or power supply. And did I say it actually sounds like a real amp! You can also get a powered extension speaker for it that allows you to also use the Blackstar as a stereo. Great for hotel rooms.

Bill, tgo

Jead, duzie, brians and 3 others like this.
  16. Believer7713

I also forgot to say that it not only comes with a wall wart but will also run on 6 AA batteries too.

17. amstratnut

So, just to be clear, with earbuds silent practice with backing tracks?

18. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

I've done a good bit of traveling over the years. In '98, I got my first laptop. I've used different interfaces over the years. Last year, I go one of those small 2 input ones, the Scarlett. Plugged my guitar into that, ran my daw, Reaper, on the laptop, with all my practice backing tracks. Used the demo version of amplitude, latency wasn't really an issue. Headphones.

Did that for a month. I even was able to get some writing done and idea tracks down, which I was then able to record with my full setup later. Small and portable.

I've had some headphone practice amps over the years, I much prefer using the laptop.

amstratnut likes this.
  19. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I used a Vox Amplug for three years living in hotels. They didn't have any built in effects back then. Worked fine plugged into my Squier Strat hotel guitar, cheap headphones and mp3's from my phone also plugged in.

amstratnut likes this.