1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Travel amp, headphone, mp3. Decent tone, reliable?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by amstratnut, Oct 17, 2020.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

In that case, you might want to consider a Zoom G1 FOUR.

johnnymg likes this.
  2. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

I briefly had a Zoom G3N (bigger version of the G1) and thought it sounded pretty good. I suspect the G1 plus headphones would be neigh on perfect as an inexpensive 'silent' travel pod.
    Drum tracks, looper, programmable effects with multiple memory slots, aux input........ and small.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G1FOUR--zoom-g1-four-multi-effects-processor

3. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

For travelling you really can’t beat an apogee Jam into an iPad or phone...

4. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

I seem to recall you are an iphone user. Check out amplitube...I used one of those for years. Simple interface into your phone. No additional things needed.

I'm also a big fan of line 6. The pod Hd would do what you are looking for for a reasonable price and small package.

amstratnut likes this.
  5. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-Talker

Yes, it has both an mp3/line in and an emulation/earphone line out.

Bill, tgo

amstratnut and Diamond D like this.
  6. Diamond D

Diamond D Strat-Talker

Fly 3 rocks. Sounds like an amp. Decent clean. Reasonable distortion. Delay/reverb effect. It's one or the other but both are effective. Line in for mp3. Line out for ear buds/headphones. Power supply costs extra but the battery life is unbelievable. Price is great too. I bought the power supply but it's not necessary. Same with the extension cab. It's great but all you need is the Fly 3, a 1/4" cable and a guitar in a gig bag.

Oh yeah, earbuds and an mp3 source.

There's also a Bluetooth model but I have no experience with that one.

7. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Certainly!

amstratnut likes this.
  8. CB91710

CB91710 CB91710 in a Legible Font Double Platinum Supporting Member

Blackstar Fly-3.
    Headphones optional, sounds decent without.
    My only complaint is the inflexibility of the "ISF" tone control.
    It has clean and drive channels, and a delay that can be adjusted from a light reverb effect to full slap-back.

amstratnut likes this.
  9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

What's the power supply on it? Battery? I need something when I'm meeting people to check out guitars...sounds ideal.

10. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Silver Member

It has both a wall wart and can run on 6 AA batteries. I used it for that very reason a couple days ago. Was able to sit on the tailgate of my truck and try the guitars without any issues.

Baelzebub, CB91710 and amstratnut like this.
  11. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

What about Amplitube or BiasFX mobile? All you need extra is an iRig or similar interface for your phone?

amstratnut likes this.
  12. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Ampiltube looks like a great option. Can you tell me the basics of what Id need? Which version, whats an irig. Etc. Im using an android and guess tgey have an android version. If I know what version to get for practicing over tracks AND recording the results that would be ideal!

13. Mike Manhost67

Mike Manhost67 Strat-Talker

For me, nothing the headphone experience of the Waza Air.

14. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

What version of amplitube? Have you tried it? The first review I read said it wouldn't work with newer samsung phones.

15. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

bgmacaw likes this.
  16. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

I travel with a Yamaha THR10 and headphones. I use my phone or IPad for backing tracks.

The THR is absolutely amazing in regards to tone and features. It even has a separate volume control for the aux input. You can dial in a lot of tones or go on line to the Yamaha tone studio and create any tone you want and save it to one of the 5 presets.

599E5233-B754-49B4-8406-AB44B0720C1F.jpeg

Otisblove likes this.
  17. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

You know sir I may have led you down a dead end. IK has everything for iOS these days but the Android availability is limited and information on what phones it works with is murky at best. My dealings with the mobile app were back in the days when all phones had headphone jacks lol. My apologies

I didn't see what your budget was but the new Boss Pocket GT that's coming out seems to be quite a powerful piece of gear.

Bowmap likes this.
  18. Drewski5446

Drewski5446 New Member!

I completely recommend the Blackstar Fly 3. I’ve had one for about a year and it’s a fantastic sounding small amp that has great battery life. You can get power supply but the batteries last so long you really don’t need one. I tried other small travel amps but they were really just novelties. This legitimately sounds very good for the size and convince, especially with single coil pickups. It has good drive channel and delay. I bought it mainly to travel with but sounds so good I installed guitar strap pins and a strap on it and wear it around the house so I can play and roam completely mobile.

Attached Files:

brians likes this.
  19. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I used to use a Digitech BP50. Has a tuner, drum machine, 40 presets and cheap. Even though it was for bass, I got usable tones for guitar.
    $40 used.
    [​IMG]

amstratnut likes this.
  20. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning Strat-Talk Member

VOX Amplug probably the way to go - get the one that's closest to your preference. Just about anything that was any good 10-15 years ago has been cloned and ripped of a gazillion times - so you might want to look at the ethics of what you are buying and supporting. There's the original Rockman still around.

CB91710 likes this.