Travel Guitars.

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
Hey everyone. I recently posted and asked for insight in SGs and got a ton of good info. I have decided for now that I need a travel guitar. I am constantly on the road for work now, and not in a position to bring a Strat along. What experience do you folks have with tiny little travel guitars? It would need to be as small as possible, like a Martin backpacker or something like that. What suggestions or insights do you all have?

Impulsive guppy

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 9, 2020
Springfield
fernandes-nomad.jpg
Fernandes Nomad seems pretty cool!

lbpesq

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2014
California
I’ve tried a bunch of them, electric and acoustic. Either way, there is one answer that kicks ass on all the rest: Voyage Air guitars. These have an ingenious hinge that allows the neck to fold over the top of the guitar and it all fits in a compact carry case. When packed away, the acoustics are the size of a medium backpack. Unfolded, it’s a full size dreadnaught. And they are very good guitars. In fact, you can fold the neck, unfold it, lock it in, and the guitar will be close to tune. I’ve flown with mine many times (not that I’m flying these days) and never had a problem fitting it in the overhead. And I just got back with it from a 12 day road trip cross country and back (again, not flying). It was great having a full size acoustic to play when I had the opportunity, yet not take up a lot of room in the car, and easy to carry with the shoulder strap.

If you’re looking for an electric, they made a couple of nice folding full-size electrics that fold and fit in an almost briefcase size case.

I’ve tried lots of different travel guitars. They are all toys compared to the Voyage Airs. They also licensed the technology to Fender, who made a series of folding acoustics. I don’t know if Fender still produces them. They turn up on the used market every once in a while.

Bill, tgo

Last edited:

lbpesq

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2014
California
Baby Taylors are about the best in the 3/4 size category. Far better sounding than the Martin “Canoe Paddle” Backpacker. I had a Baby for many years (see my story in the Les Paul thread), finally trading it after I got my Voyage Air. Taylor also makes the “Big Baby” but I’ve never played one.

Bill, tgo