Trem Block Alignment, Is This Normal?

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
If the 6 bridge mounting screws were that far off in the body it would be unplayable. Your high E would be way off the fretboard. I think it’s more a trem block machine but issue, like the string and spring slots drilled slightly off.

If it plays properly I’d put the cover back on and not worry about it.

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
Really, listen... this is much like worrying about what color the starter motor in your car might be... it doesn't matter, no one's gonna see it, it has zero influence on performance.... fuggidaboudit..
Good advice!

Noobieoldie

Strat-Talker
Jan 23, 2022
Austin, TX
It's a little funky but I've seen worse. Like others have said, play around with the claw screws a bit. If you get the trem action the way you like it (responsive, the right amount of float, stays in tune, etc), then it's all good.

joebtone

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 26, 2022
Northwest US
I noticed this when shifting the two outer springs all the way to the outer claw. The two outer springs indicate that the trem block should be further to the right in the pic below. As you can see the springs are on an angle when most strats I've seen seem to be straight.

This is my second strat and the only strat that I've played around with the trem system.

It's a Custom Shop 69 but I don't really want to take it back as I like the sound and it was picked out among other strats.

7ViwzYe.jpg

Thoughts? Any Fix to this? Should I just not worry about it and leave it? As far as how well it works I've no point of reference but it's a usable trem system.
This would not bother me one bit.....
But...IF it did, I would just tweak the spring wires right at the ends of the coils there at the trem block so that the springs would angle a little less to the left.
You could also tweak the claw ever so slightly to add a little movement and the screws will still look straight but I don’t think you really would need it.
Maybe adjust one screw 1/8 turn to get a little more.
There would be nothing left to even catch the eye.
OCD is going to kill us all. 😎

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
I'm playing around with it but I'd like to get a better understanding on what's going on, first. I prefer the feel of utilising 5 springs but will have to test this out more.
Short of shaving enough of the wood on the side where the spring is closer to the wall of the trem cavity, there is adequate clearance there. Really more important, what is aligned on the deck/top of the guitar for bridge pickups & rest of the neck. Those screw holes are already in the body for that hardware or even just the claw. The amount that the trem claw might be off is going to be a fill & redrill for a little more space for that 1st spring to the extreme left hand side. I'd leave it alone if there is no noise or or interference in he cavity with the springs. If it's quiet & holds tune, then it's not an issue really.

Last edited:

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
I wouldn’t worry about it on that one.m as long as the strings are where they are supposed to be.

I had an AVRI that the whole trem cavity was put in crooked. It was so bad that it was laughable. Fender will replace a body if something like that problem exists.

But that seems to be very minor. Not sure it would affect anything. Just play it.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
If I want just three springs on one of my strats, that’s how it has to be.
Mine is a Squire Strat with a really short back routing... with no adjustment on it left ...it’s just right.
My Squier Affinity claw screws were misaligned as installed, one claw screw is in straight, the other at an angle towards the corner of the cavity. I try to adjust it where the springs have even tension so one doesn't pop out if the trem block is I do a more aggressive whammy bar dive bomb. Everything seems align in the cavity for clearances, so it works, I guess I could relocate the angled screw to be aligned more perfectly,but as long as the thing works and stays in tune, I see no reason to drill a new hole. And the cover hides the screw that is offset like it is. As the whammy bar is at an end rather than in he middle of the trem block, there's going to be uneven pull for that anyway when I use the trem bar. Kind of like this one, only it's a little worse for the screw that's angled. Basically I adjust it so the springs are the same length on the assumption they are under equal tension individually and for the entire set of springs. The springs in this photo seem to be a mismatched set of coiled metal. Who knows, someday I may align the claw screws better ?

1652935375021.png

joebtone

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 26, 2022
Northwest US
My Squier Affinity claw screws were misaligned as installed, one claw screw is in straight, the other at an angle towards the corner of the cavity. I try to adjust it where the springs have even tension so one doesn't pop out if the trem block is I do a more aggressive whammy bar dive bomb. Everything seems align in the cavity for clearances, so it works, I guess I could relocate the angled screw to be aligned more perfectly,but as long as the thing works and stays in tune, I see no reason to drill a new hole. And the cover hides the screw that is offset like it is. As the whammy bar is at an end rather than in he middle of the trem block, there's going to be uneven pull for that anyway when I use the trem bar. Kind of like this one, only it's a little worse for the screw that's angled. Basically I adjust it so the springs are the same length on the assumption they are under equal tension individually and for the entire set of springs. The springs in this photo seem to be a mismatched set of coiled metal. Who knows, someday I may align the claw screws better ?

View attachment 563629
look at this Squire of mine.
Promised myself to fix it some other time.

If the Fender CS did this I would complain...yes. 2DAE8961-9096-4372-8EF0-459D05B1FFDC.jpeg

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
Cool, already had a photo of my particular situation before any adjustments to the claw after swapping the trem block when I did the trem block swap upgrade. This is what mine looks like for how straight the claw screws are. I should've taken an after photo for the adjusted floated trem bridge. Anyway the angled screw is the one on the right hand side instead, the left hand side looks pretty good and I wouldn't bother with it. Since the right hand side screw works fine, I most likely won't do relocate where it screws into the body. Probably could've taken a better and more squared up photo, but I was more interested in getting the guitar back together. It goes back to where it's supposed to when played and relatively in tune for what most any Tremolo bridge does.

1652950813560.jpeg

Ocaster Ben

Strat-Talk Member
May 11, 2022
Australia
Here's what it looks like up top:
y8SNghJ.jpg

The trem arm does have a little difficulty getting in, it does seem that the trem block is misaligned a little and needs to move a little closer to the comfort carve.

One of the things I noticed when taking the neck and pickguard off is that the CS relic goo may have affected the screws from sitting cleanly against the surface and in some areas on the pickguard moving them off to the side. I will definitely take the trem block off at some stage and re-adjust.

I'm glad this happened, it's shown me exactly how the trem system works and fast tracked understanding more about strats. For those who say "don't worry about it", I'm not worrying about it, I'm trying to understand what's going on, I have a great appreciation for musical instruments.

Stratstrangler

Strat-Talker
Mar 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I looked at the Fender color chart and I think it might be Candy Cola. I'm not sure how to tell. Do they mark the bodies somewhere? Whatever it is, I love it. I'm normally a sunburst guy, (I have a sunburst Tele) but this is a very sexy color!

I think of Gibson and Fender as Apple and PC. Apple is a nice all-in-one unit, and the things in does well, it does very well. Users who want more versatility lean toward Fender, where they have the ability to change their graphics cards and pickups as they see fit.

View attachment 563629
In 1989, my new '62 AVRI Strat had the claw similar to this (when new). At the time, my guess was the final setup and inspector person may have decided to loosen one claw screw to adjust spring tension on either the bass or high strings to help return them to proper pitch after trem use.

Stratstrangler

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
In 1989, my new '62 AVRI Strat had the claw similar to this (when new). At the time, my guess was the final setup and inspector person may have decided to loosen one claw screw to adjust spring tension on either the bass or high strings to help return them to proper pitch after trem use.
I just wish the Tremolo installer had located the screws as straight instead of freelancing, saves the rest of us, discovery of the time bomb they planted & figuring it out what's not right about the guitar. Wonky & crooked never worked for anyone.