Trem question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by guitar1580, Aug 29, 2008.

1. guitar1580

guitar1580 Strat-Talk Member

So I decided not to use the tremolo on my latest Strat, since I have an Ibanez with Floyd Rose for the days when I feel like Eddie Van Halen.
    So I'm wondering, does it make an improvement in sound to actually block the trem with a wood wedge, as opposed to just tightening the springs down all the way? The way I received it used, the bridge is already sitting flat, with 3 springs. The bar can be taken down, though quite tight. The bridge is not "floating". I didn't expect to use it....seems theres no chance of staying in tune without a locking nut. I can throw that Floyd off a building and it stays in tune.

JP

2. AnArmyOfJuan

AnArmyOfJuan Strat-Talk Member

I hear a lot of people saying that one way or another sounds better. unplugged, I think blocked sounds better, but it's an electric guitar. doesn't really matter what it sounds like unplugged.

I can't tell a difference between the two methods once plugged into my amp. I had mine blocked, but ended up using the springs to pull the bridge down to the body, so I can still use it when I want, and I can't tell the difference in a band situation.