Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Apr 27, 2018
Chicago
I see them played with them on.
I see them played with them off.

maybe they misplaced it?
maybe they wanna show off how many springs they have

Maybe the screws got stripped from taking it off trying to get those damn string ends out the little holes.

or
Maybe there’s a reason.
Is there a reason?
I do not know.

There's no good reason to leave it off. When I was young and lazy, I took the back plate off my 72 Strat to adjust the tremolo. I didn't put it back on out of pure laziness. 40 years later, I bought an Eric Johnson strat; it came without the back plate. Saved me the trouble of removing it.

Petawatt12

New Member!
May 9, 2020
Twin Cities

maybe they misplaced it?

Maybe the screws got stripped from taking it off trying to get those damn string ends out the little holes.

or
Maybe there’s a reason.
Is there a reason?
I do not know.
On, trem decked, Atari. If you change springs patterns a lot you might want to leave it off.

Matopotato

Strat-Talker
Apr 11, 2021
Sweden
On. I paid for it...

I actually don't like (=know how to use) the trem and I kept getting to the floating bridge which "changed my tone", so I had it set a bit tighter. Now when I change strings the holes no longer line up. So the trem comes in handy. Not sure if that is a good way to bend hard to align them though.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM

maybe they misplaced it?

or
Maybe there’s a reason.
Is there a reason?
I do not know.
It’s easier to change the strings with the cover off. If you are touring it makes more sense to have it off.

cbt1956

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 11, 2020
London UK
I am a lefty who likes modding his Strats. Getting a lefty tremolo backcover in the correct colour is often difficult so sometimes off (unless I get lucky and find a lefty cover in the correct colour).

Esg877

Strat-Talker
Sep 27, 2015
Brazil
I have to get this off my chest: It's a VIBRATO bridge/assembly/plate/whatever. But I learned to overcome my OCD, go with the crowd and today I hapilly refer to it as a Tremolo whatever.

Always off. Facilitates everything you may need to do in the back, nobody sees it, has no real need to be there (never got any clothes stuck there or any other problem), if the guitar has a problem you can immediately inspect the cavity even on stage, it's one last part to worry about, and, yes, it looks cooler. :cool:

Caffiend

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 15, 2020
Yorkshire
Old debate is old

Personally I don’t hear a difference in normal use but it’s not a hill I’m prepared to die on.

What I do hear and what generally keeps my back covers on is springs catching on clothing, belts etc if it all gets wild and passing that through the bridge to the strings. It’s not a major thing for me though and I’d not obsess over it if I was without.

Collin D Plonker

Strat-O-Master
Sep 18, 2020
Delaware
Off, but I am planning a new build and, if I can fit it in, I plan to do a recessed, same wood trem cover held on with magnets.

If I can't pull this off it will be open, no screw holes.