Tremolo Setup a la Carl Verheyen

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by rhgwynn, Oct 23, 2012.

1. rhgwynn

rhgwynn Senior Stratmaster

Did the whole angled claw deal about a month ago, perfectly set up so that a full whammy hits perfect notes on every string. After trying it out all of this time, I can honestly say, this is the answer youve been looking for. Yank it back or dive as deep as you want, hell, just hold the bar and flang it for an entire song if you want - she whammies in pitch and always comes back to perfect pitch. I am sold on this. Do this setup and say goodbye to ALL of your tremolo woes. Find his channel on YouTube if you need help.

-R

2. KRKBAB

KRKBAB Strat-Talker

If his method is the one (on a vintage trem) where you loosen all 6 screws so they are all at the same height then yes, that's the only one that works for me.
    This method that Fender instructs (again, speaking of the vintage 6 screw trem) which you loosen the middle 4 screws a certain amount AND THEN tighten the 2 end screws tighter (what ever the amount) NEVER worked for me.
    Every time I would pull UP on the bar, it would always go back sharp. Somehow the two screws on the end were interfering with the springs to pull the action back down to the proper pitch- no matter what.

So if that's the C.V. method, then YES- it's awesome.

I remember trying his method when I was searching for the most accurate method. I just don't recall whether it was his method I finally chose or someone elses.

3. willluvstrats

willluvstrats Strat-O-Master

his works for me aqnd i deck my trem, can wammy the hell and it always goes back in tune and if its out of tune when you first start playing play a few minute and warm the strings up and do a dive and its back in tune. To bad jimi didn't know about it he would 've spent a lot less time tunuing up.

4. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

yeah, his setup is the best, I've been rockin it for a while now.. it's amazing for shimmering vibrato to all-out dive bombing, everyone wonders how I keep a vintage six screw bridge with vintage F-style tuners in tune better than their 2 point wilkinson tremolo with locking tuners..

5. B.K.

B.K. Former Member

It's funny that Carl seems to get all the credit for this whammy bar "Setup Secret".
    In his video all he tells you is that he angles the claw.... that's it. Frudua's video is the one where he brings you through the entire process. Carl does let you know that he shares this info w/ all his M.I students... More like an advert for M.I. than anything else...

Carl Verheyen: Whammy Bar Setup Secrets - YouTube

And Mr. Frudua... who freely shares the info... and it works for 6 screw Vintage trem as well:
    How To Set up a Strat Floating Tremolo | Two Pivots Tremolo | Whammy Bar - YouTube

6. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

7. juanjosebh

juanjosebh Senior Stratmaster

8. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Senior Stratmaster

this old chestnut again!!!!!!!

I must admit though, i use the method, I float both my strats, one a vintage 6 hole bridge and the other a 2 post modern bridge, I don't have problems about coming back to tune , even after serious whammy bar abuse
    I do of course make sure that there is no binding in the nut, or string trees, saddles are lubricated etc
    I find pencil lead does the trick on those contact areas

9. Extra crispy

Extra crispy Senior Stratmaster

I've used this method for about 3 tears now, on all my Strats. It's a proven winner.
    Thank you Carl & Mr. Frudua

10. jmstritt

jmstritt Strat-Talker

You mean the video recorded in MI's preformance hall with a big MI logo in the background?

11. jmstritt

jmstritt Strat-Talker

Carl is a LA session player. He plays with Supertramp, teaches at GIT and USC, and does a lot of film and television work as well. If you google him you will find a lot of info out there.

Carl Verheyen - Home

12. juanjosebh

juanjosebh Senior Stratmaster

Yeah! I mean his strat talk name!

Sent via Hedwig.

13. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

His member name is his real name. Two posts on that thread.

14. KRKBAB

KRKBAB Strat-Talker

I looked at both the videos that B.K. attached.

Nope- Neither one of them worked for me.

I don't remember where I found it, but someone's method teaches you to loosen all 6 screws (not just the inner 4) so that you could pull the whammy bar all the way up with out (with all of the spring/string tension removed) any of the screws touching the plate (the underside of the screwheads, that is).

That is the ONLY method that ever worked for me with a vintage trem.
    Slanting the claw or not made no difference at all for me.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  15. B.K.

B.K. Former Member

Have been doing a lot of trem shenanigans with Frudua's method... slight angle on the Claw as C.V. suggests... No probs... have a 6 screw vintage trem... only thing can think why some are having issues is due to not lubing all contact/friction points (bridge saddles, trees & nut).
    Not famiiar w/ the other method...

Yes... you needed to ask?... :p

16. rhgwynn

rhgwynn Senior Stratmaster

The only way (unless you have a sharp ear) is to do it with a tuner. Adjust the bass side screw so that the bridge floats up and a full yank to the deck wham produces a solid A# on the G string. Then begin adjusting the treble side. This end of the claw should be closer to the block. The B string you want to produce a C#. And the e string, an F. Once you achieve this perfect equilibrium of tension, you will immediately notice the difference in tuning stability when whammin. Remember, adjust-tune-test wash-rinse-repeat. It takes some time the first time but then you get the hang of it in no time. Be patient. Also, you must use THREE springs - straight across. NOT angled.

-R