Tremsetters,,,

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by zozoe, Jun 5, 2021.

1. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

Do they actually work, & work well for a fully floating setup? My only Strat that needs help is the my only one that employs the two point tremolo!! I've successfully set up & maintained all my other trems that use the traditional 6 screw type, but this one trem seems to be getting caught up somewhere, but it's not!! & not all the strings are affected,,, with typically the B, G & high E coming up sharp from just seemingly looking at the guitar.... So, the Tremsetter? Yay or nay? Screenshot_20210511-014718_Gallery.jpg
    Thnx all & good morning!!

JJ119 and 4pickupguy like this.
  2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

A trem setter will do nothing for tuning issues. That is not it's purpose. If you have strings going sharp, it's 99% going to be an issue with the nut.

3. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

a tremsetter is not the easiest thing to set up but it does work 100% as advertised.

but as mentioned it is not a cure for tuning problems...

Michael919 likes this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

2 point tremolo Strat bridges get setup differently than 6 screw vintage type when it comes to having them operate in a floating configuration.....

You need to set the bridge raised but flat, not angled up in the back like on a vintage 6 screw style....

Do you have pics of the side of the bridge showing how the plate sits now?

5. Ebidis

Regardless of how the bridge is set up, a trem setter will not fix the problem he described. He has strings going sharp when the bridge returns to zero. That is a problem with the nut.

Believer7713 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Yes, the nut or the front of the bridge plate hanging up on the studs.....

I was addressing his primary issue, 2 replies including yours already stated the tremsetter wouldn't fix the issue, so why would anybody assume I am thinking or stating that it will if the bridge is setup right? To me, the fact I didn't contradict anybody means I'm in agreement.

I'm confused, maybe I'm not being clear enough in my posts.....

CB91710 and Baelzebub like this.
  7. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Nah. As I read through them all it was pretty clear to me that you were looking beyond the tremsetter. That and the most likely solution to his tuning issue had been addressed.

The OP had mentioned that his experience was different with the 2 & 6. I thought your comment was value-added. I, for one, didn't know that they were set up differently.

Groovey likes this.
  8. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Any info on it's actual purpose would be welcome. I acquired one recently but have no idea, and haven't looked into, whether or not I would want to install it, how, or what it does/improves exactly.

9. AJBaker

AJBaker Strat-Talker

I really like them. I have a Göldo Backbox in each of my two strats, it works as advertised. Makes everything more stable, and makes it feel more solid (if that makes any sense).

10. Ebidis

It's basically so you can deck your trem, so when you do double stop bends, unison bends, drop tunings, or break a string, everything stays put. But you can still pull up on the bar.

11. Ebidis

No, my bad. I misunderstood your post.

Guitarmageddon and Baelzebub like this.
  12. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

A Tremsetter's function is to bring it back to center zero. It does that very well if you get it set up properly. I also use mine on floating Floyd loaded guitars to add enough tension to play in drop D yet still float.
    They were not intended for what I use them for but do the job well. They also will not fix the problem of one or three strings not returning to pitch...only if all the strings don't return.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  13. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

JJ119, CB91710, Ebidis and 1 other person like this.
  14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Strat-Talker

Some setup things to try as a matter of trouble shooting.
    1. Optimize the string angle from the nut to each tuner post. Don’t use the string trees.
    2. Remove friction every point you can. Proper nut slot width, graphite in the nut slot etc..
    3. People will flame me for this but, the ol’ trick of slightly reaming up the center four screws on a vintage style bridge so that the outer screws are the only contact. You have the two poster setup so disregard this one.
    4. Deburr and or chamfer the outer screws and “polish” the holes with a fine grit conical Craytex bit in a dremel.
    5. Use Kluson vintage style tuners with the strings poked into the center post hole the way god intended. Cut and wrap the string 2 1/2 times around the post (at pitch) for high strings, 1 1/2 times for the bigger strings. This is will help in accomplishing #1. You might want restring your guitar to take advantage of this.
    6. Use quality trem springs and set the bridge to float just a bit. You will have to experiment a bit for your string gage. Three springs usually will get you in the ballpark for #10-46s for example.

There are other things that I have done that would probably not be well received, but they work.

I have never tried the Hipshot dual action trem setter but I have tried the spring stop style before with no gain in functionality. A proper setup usually works.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    JJ119 likes this.
  15. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

If all the strings are going sharp AND you have the trem decked, loosen the springs until the bridge begins to lift, then tighten them back just enough to keep it on the body. My partscaster superstrat had that issue and it was just a matter of the springs pulling the bridge too hard.

If it’s only one or two strings, I agree the nut is the likely culprit.

16. zozoe

zozoe Strat-Talker

Thnx & I hear you all,,,, You got me pinned,,, I use my trem like a Bigsby w/no divebombing,,, While keeping it stable while bending is cool, having a smooth trem is cooler, & I don't want any notches to have to jump around,,, So, I'll continue to tweak my git, make sure the nut is 'right' & screw with my 2 fairly medium weight springs in the back, lower the # of wraps around the tuning peg,,,, Since this is my 2nd DIY, I'll get 'there', & in tune, & chalk everything up as a learning & building experience, & NO tremsetters in my future.... Conveniently, when I grab & pull up on 3 strings at a time, my stringing proves to be dead on, & I'll find the issue by hook or by crook!! It's only RnR, & i like 'it'.
    peace, harmony, & sustain to you!

The final question, on this 2 post knife's edge trem, should the plate be as parallel as possible to the body?? All things do indeed sound like a nut issue,,, There's no burrs, my saddles are new & smooth at the bend, but I'm not familiar with what the 2 post trem should look like... When I get home, I'll post some plate profile pics so you all can check my angle & perhaps get me closer to something resembling perfection!!
    Thnx & be well all~

17. AJBaker

AJBaker Strat-Talker

18. Ebidis

Yep.

Believer7713 likes this.
  19. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

20. Kestrel

Kestrel Strat-Talker Silver Member

My nickname with my mates is Stringbuster General, thats why I have tremsetters on all my strats. :)