Tried a Vox Night Train and a Blackheart 15

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by amstratnut, Jul 24, 2010.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Just got back form the store. I've had a Fender hot rod devill for so long that anything else just does't sound right. Its hard to be objective.

Anyway if this is possible I thought the vox was way too voxy. Like exagerated chiminess. I'm not sure I could stand a whole night of gigging with it. Might sound good for recording, but thats not what I'm looking for.

The Blackheart Handsome Devil was pretty good sounding overall. It had more of a lo gain Marshall vibe going for it. Nice tight thumpy bass. But it doesn't sound like my Fender. See what I mean? How can I be so limited?

Anyone else like these amps?

2. tjk3052

tjk3052 Strat-Talker

Check out some of the Blackstar and Egnator amps, they have knobs that adjust from an American to a British voicing.

3. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member

I think the Night Train is a badass amp personally. I really like the tone of it.

4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Unfortunately I'll have to make a pilgimage to my nearest GC about 80 miles away to test those amps. Pretty curious about egnator.

5. slagg

slagg Strat-Talker

Mesa TransAtlantic=5 amps in 1
    chnl 1=vox normal/Vox to boost
    chnl 2=Tweed/Marshall/boogie
    5/15/25watt power modes per chnl.
    Kills in the small lunchbox amp world.

6. Scott L

Scott L Strat-O-Master

I found a good deal on a Night Train, $285 and it was just 3 months old. I run it through an old Ampeg 4x12 and love it. I'm sure over a 1x12 it is a different animal, but it is a nice addition to the family. I'm on the hunt for a nice 2x12 cab for it, but no luck yet.

7. seanskull92

seanskull92 Strat-Talker

hell yea lefty im with you. i have one and love the hell out of it. great tone.

8. Marco

Marco Strat-O-Master

I'd opt for the Egnator Tweeker.

9. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member

I'm still waiting on my Egnater Tweaker to show up in the mail, so I can't speak much on that yet. However, I'd personally stay away from the Blackheart stuff. I had one and it blew up inside of a couple months. Lame. That Vox Nightrain amp is the real thing. It sounds AWESOME.

10. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple

i think the night train might be better than the tiny terror. there. i said it. dont hate me tt...i still will own you yet.

11. stubewan

stubewan Strat-Talker

I have tired the Blackheart Handsome Devil 15, the Peavey Windsor Combo, Jet city Combo, Vox AC15, Bugera V22, Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD, All over the last 6 months reading re reading, tire kicking, and test driving just to find a replacement tube amp. Something to replace my beloved (unreplaceable in my mind) Mesa Boogie 50 calibur. So I can understand your dilema.

But you know, I need a couple of things for sure an amp that did not break my very weak budget of $400. And an adjustment to my amp snob attitude. After careful plannning I settled on the Blackheart 15. I really like the Marshall Brown sound. But the single channel thing wore off real quick. AS well it did not have reverb. I got rid of this amp by trading it in on what to me is one of the best buys on combo tube amp today.

I bought, didn't settle for a Bugera V22. I love this thing. It is easy to dail in. I really like the gain and that you can push it hard and it gets better harmonically. The clean is nice and compressed with my strat. This amp really shines, I know I know the reliabilty of the parent company I have heard and read it all, but you know I have read more letters about how much people really love this amp. It comes with 2 channels, reverb, tri and pent modes, effect loop, speaker jacks and a mid range boost switch. Really what is not to like but my own foolishness. Guys I am teeling ya, this thing has BALLS! Go get one

So I am