Trolls and Bots

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by davidd47, Aug 22, 2021.

1. davidd47

davidd47 Strat-Talker

Don't really understand the whole entertainment from trolling but please enlighten me.
    Seems more like bullying.
    Everyone knew at least one as a kid but the keyboard brings out a new breed.
    Please don't call out fellow ST members for trolling because trolling can be subjective.
    We already know who they are anyway. Mostly the "Get off my LAWN!" types.

Bots on the other hand seem really nefarious if they do exist.:whistling:
    Are they human(Russian/China) and/or AI based?
    I know they pulled off the FB "experiment?" with 700K people but if an AI bot has all your data at its disposal you would be at a big disadvantage. It would know what buttons to push for sure.

Strange new world we are entering where someone can steal your identity, empty your bank accounts, charge up your credit cards and put a mortgage on your home without you knowing. Froze my credit years ago.

What are your worries or warnings since we know Elon's not happy.

No Alex Jones style links please.
    I get enough of those from my strange friends.

Your opinions on the subject, not really a discussion, please stick to ST guidelines.

Stratafied likes this.
  2. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

What are your worries or warnings since we know Elon's not happy.

What does this mean?
    Please...

3. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

davidd47 likes this.
  4. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Strat-Talker

I’ll just say this, they should unplug the internet. After the initial shock wore off, they’d give the guy who pulled the plug a prize.

5. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

Define Alex Jones style links please. That appears rather accusatory. And regardless exactly what does that have to do with trolls. Paranoia?

CB91710 likes this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

7. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

Don’t look at me!!!

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Put the gnome back where you found it...

9. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

There is a certain skill to being a good troll online and it can be enjoyable. I truly enjoyed being the site doomsdayer/troll on another music board 10 years ago or so. And to some people, an honest opinion comes across like they are a troll. I do have to admit though, that most of my trolling back in the day was politically based. The board I was on was a local city music site and there were no rules for the most part. There were many left wing recreational drug users (some were musicians) on there. I really enjoyed playing the right wing conservative voice just to get them stirred up. I could get people to delete their accounts in an hour or so they would get so mad. They constantly tried to get under my skin, and I took it as a challenge to one up them. I was also one of the few people on there that would provide actual feedback about their music when they asked - most people just blew smoke up their butt about how great their stuff sounded or good their band sounded, when in reality it was mostly crap.

I enjoyed my 6 years one there before they pulled the plug. I am still friends on facebook with some of them and we still reminisce about those old days and everyone misses them. It was a wild site with some awesome personalities good and bad.

Danny D likes this.
  10. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

11. Stratafied

Stratafied Dr. Stratster

Anyone have their own personal troll?

ukoldgit likes this.
  12. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

13. muttonbuster

muttonbuster Strat-O-Master

Democratic People's Republic of California.
    This is long but absolutely required reading if you really want to open your eyes to just how massive West Taiwan's operations are. This was a joint study between researchers at Harvard, Stanford, and UCSD. In 2017 they estimated there were roughly 488 million social media posts made by PRC state and military assets PER YEAR.

https://gking.harvard.edu/files/gking/files/50c.pdf

Danny D, cranky and vid1900 like this.
  14. mplsrube

mplsrube Strat-Talker

I find it hilarious the notion that if you believe it it's true.

15. Thrup'ny Bit

16. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Grown men in their moms basement getting people going is just a real strange thing to me. Takes the term keyboard warrior to whole new level. It’s beyond me.

davidd47, CigBurn and tanta07 like this.
  17. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

@davidd47

As a kind of reformed person myself, I think I could be a "troll therapist". I also have done a fair amount of study in anthropology, psychology, history and "crowd theory". (Way more than I've studied music.) What specific question can you ask?

As is, I'd like to make a few points.

First, I've seen and experienced first-hand people being accused of trolling merely for expressing an unpopular opinion or perspective. In that case, I would say that the accuser is more likely the troll, or at least a bit of a dog whistler. Nowadays, slapping the "troll" label on someone who you want to stand down has become very easy.

Second, if someone is content to write off the troll as a grown-up loser living in the parents' basement, then that person really misses the point and doesn't deserve to participate in the conversation.

And third, if a bot can push your buttons, then we're all potentially bots. I would venture to guess that there are large swaths of social media "communities" who've rallied around bots either to follow it or to scapegoat it.

pazman6 and Danny D like this.
  18. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Froze ours after the Experian breach.

19. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I'm a mod on several other forums, and trolls are sometimes just friendless kids.

On the aquarium forum, a guy had like a 40,000 post count, and would reply to almost every post as "an expert"

He had tons of pictures of his fish breeding, and an amazing number of big "show tanks"

The bad part was, his advice was terrible and he was always argumentative with others who also had amazing tanks.

Old cliches, regurgitated 10 ways to Sunday, was his response to everything.

One time I sent him a fancy heater, being a "trusted" longtime member, and he never paid me for it.

Phone number on his account was fake.

I ran the Data Strip Mine on his IP and found 2 more phone numbers associated across the net.

I called both and left a message.

I get a call back from a confused man. He had a ton of fish, lived at the address I read him, but said he's never bought a heater online and was not on the forum.

Turns out it was his teenage son posting.

His son did not own any tanks, he would just take pics of his dad's tanks and fish breeding.

Heater was found in his room, never used.

Kid was a dick bag, pure and simple; but his dad explained it as he "had problems".

Deafsoundguy, cranky and Intune like this.
  20. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Netflix has the next installment of Trollhunters...just saying:thumb:.

davidd47 likes this.