1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Trophy Guitars. Got One?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bazz Jass, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

A guitar that cost a lot, but it was more about having it than playing it :)

Mine is a National (recent) Style O 14-fret. As a kid I was SOOO into Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler, and this album cover:

[​IMG]

All before internet, I discovered it was a National guitar, made in the 1930s. And that particular variant, just for a couple of years. Always hoped to find one. At 15 I bought a Dobro - closest thing I could find.

Anyway, finally about 10 years ago National Resophonic Guitars bought out a replica for the first time. My 40th birthday was approaching and the time was right - grabbed one! I had to order it specially from NRP and get it shipped to New Zealand. It's great to have, though I play it very infrequently. Just looks so damn hot hanging on the wall!

IMG_0868Cropped.JPG back.jpg IMG_0506.JPG

aiabx, Nick Evans, davidKOS and 23 others like this.
  2. drgordonfreeman

drgordonfreeman Strat-Talk Member

WOW, I love the back of that guitar. Gorgeous!

Nick Evans, Barb and Bazz Jass like this.
  3. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

That's such a cool looking guitar Bazz !! The guitar itself and all the art Work on it .... love it !!

Bazz Jass likes this.
  4. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

I've always wanted one of these! Still in my Dire Straits phase :whistling::whistling: . Money For Nothing was one of the first songs I learned by ear when I was a kid, which to this day is strange to me. I was like 12 or 13 and my cousin gave me the 7 inch and I decided to learn it. It was 1993 and the height of Nirvana / punkness.. Dire Straits was definitely uncool at the time!

My trophy guitar is my Gretsch Black Falcon...

It's on a stand in my living room and honestly makes the living room!

I've played it a bit on records, once live, occasionally at home but I love it.

Attached Files:

5. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

I'd only ever buy something that would get played, so I guess they're all trophies.

wildhawk, Rastus, Elvie and 1 other person like this.
  6. Dan_Q

Dan_Q Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

i too learned money for nothing when nirvana were current :)

lovely guitar bazz :)

Nick Evans, Bazz Jass and Folk_Hogan like this.
  7. Pete McC

Pete McC Senior Stratmaster

I bought a PRS Custom 24 (built new to my specs) back in 1990, I've played it and gigged it but it's still in mint condition, I'm afraid to play it now in case it gets damaged as the value of the older PRS's is rising and I still have the hang tags and catalogue it was ordered from. I guess it'll be an heirloom for my kids, I have plenty of other guitars!

8. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Some very nice guitars posted above.. my trophy guitar is also my player,, I think it looks good hanging on wall .. 2006 MIA stratocaster,, diamond anniversary edition.. The fake diamond on headstock gets a lot of attention from people..

Attached Files:

tery and crawdaddy like this.
  9. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Also people comment on case quite a bit..

Attached Files:

10. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

Yes, I'm with you. All guitars carefully chosen as partly for their heritage connections. If it wasn't an interesting instrument then I ain't buying.

ocean likes this.
  11. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Nope. I have a limited edition Strat one of 68 but other than having a two piece body and engraved neck plate there's nothing special about it.

Rastus and ocean like this.
  12. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Hello,

My Olympic White 70's Classic Series Stratocaster was originally intended to be a furniture-piece, ( long story here, & I won't go on ) in honor of the era that was, Jimi, Robin Trower, & Ritchie. But once I discovered how good a guitar they actually are, my Strat-Plus became the case queen LOL, & the Oly-white guitar my No.1 for about 10-years, & now my Sunburst 70's guitar is my No.1.

I've debated many times about hanging her up on the wall, but it would be a waste of a good-player, so it's my No.2. ( Maybe one day when she's worn out, I'll hang-her-up as intended ).

Ciao,

Rastus

1 person likes this.
  13. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

My Jem.... loved it for a while but went back to strats,tele and LP.
    has a killer Floyd Rose, best Ive ever felt. Hardly ever play it.
    [​IMG]

Ash-Man, Nick Evans, tery and 3 others like this.
  14. Euclid

Euclid Strat-O-Master

Not only do you have a great Trophy Guitar, but it is made from the same material trophies are made of.
    Perfect

Bazz Jass and Folk_Hogan like this.
  15. ultrahedgehog

ultrahedgehog Strat-Talker

Adore that vine inlay!

16. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I use my trophy guitars: '65 Strat, ES355:

IMG_0232.JPG

I got a good deal on the Stop bar mono 355. Previous owner had removed all the gold hardware for nickel. I put the B6 and Towner bar on it, along with a Wilkinson Roller Bridge.

Nick Evans, davidKOS, tery and 3 others like this.
  17. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing

My 1964 sunburst Strat.
    1964-Fender-Strat small.jpg
    My dearest friend inherited it from a childhood friend who had used it quite successfully until his passing. Then my friend had used it quite successfully until one day he just, out of the blue, gifted it to me "on permanent loan." Whereupon I too used it rather successfully until injury ended my professional, and to a great extent my passionate, ability to play.

So 10 years later, after becoming a parent, he asked for it back...and while I felt a pang of loss, I had always known it was his, and that such was a possibility. And my ability to use it successfully was over anyway, so it rightly should go back to him.

Then a few years later he offered it to me at a price that was..."very attractive."

So now it's back here and I cherish it. Not because of where its been or the recordings it has been played on, but because it reminds me of a friendship that has lasted 46 years, and taken me around the world and...has always been there.

18. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT?????

19. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

nice chunk of wood RB, and that head stock