Join Strat-Talk Today

Truss rod access on Fender 50's classic reissue Stratocaster.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Scimmy, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Scimmy

Scimmy Strat-Talker

I'm a Stratocaster newbie as of two days. I have a Fender 50's Classic reissue with a gloss maple neck. My question is this: the truss rod access at the headstock is blocked by what looks like a tight-fitting plug of darker wood. The neck heel access is blocked by the pickguard.

Am I able to somehow remove the headstock plug, or will I need to de-string and remove the pickguard? This seems illogical as the truss should be adjusted with the guitar strung, surely.

I don't actually need to alter the truss, I'm just keen to learn in case I ever need to.

Thanks in advance!

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

you'll have to remove the neck screws to access it. It's on the underside of the neck.
    That's how they were in the 1950s, although in my opinion it's a big hassle.

Scimmy likes this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Capo on the third fret. Unscrew the 4 neck screws, adjust, put it back together.

4. Scimmy

Scimmy Strat-Talker

Dear me what a clart on!

So you aren't meant to access it from the headstock at all?

5. nickmsmith

Nope. A lot of classic styled Fenders have that "feature." Although I see no benefit.

But I love my Classic 50s strat. It is hands down my favorite strat I've ever played. Over any American made strat I've played, honestly.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

In the end it's a lot better than stripping the allen nut inside the modern plug adjusters. The bullets were much easier.

nadzab likes this.
  7. Scimmy

Scimmy Strat-Talker

I've only ever played one Strat, it's beside me now! Astonishing guitar. When I play it I feel sort of,...unworthy. I'm trying to improve!

aiabx and nickmsmith like this.
  8. nickmsmith

What color finish is yours? I got Daphne Blue, and couldn't be any happier with it. It is one of the few guitars that I have not modified in the slightest.

the feel of the neck and shape of the neck is my favorite, for sure.

jjlemon likes this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

I have a Japanese 54 and a Classic Player 50s. Had the 54 20 years and the CP 10 years. Before that I had an assortment of Strats and copies for another 20 years before that.

Oh and basses and mandolins, mandolas, ukulele banjos, bazouki and loads of other stuff that annoyed the hell out of the missus :)

jjlemon and Scimmy like this.
  10. Scimmy

Scimmy Strat-Talker

Mine's described as "Rangoon Red" which is almost if not identical to Fiesta Red. Maple neck.

nickmsmith likes this.
  11. ems977

ems977 Strat-Talker

Please understand you do not have to remove the strings to remove the neck. Just loosen the strings quite a bit, loosen the neck screws, then adjust the truss rod. Then you can simply tighten the strings back to tune after you put the neck back on. This method seemed like a big hassle at first but, after you do it, it really isn't bad at all. Good luck.

Scimmy likes this.
  12. Scimmy

Scimmy Strat-Talker

Thanks for taking the trouble to give your advice! Luckily my guitar appears to be is perfect and doesn't need adjustment, as far as I can tell.

13. keithcc

keithcc Strat-Talker

It's a bug, not a feature.

The originals had a slot or gap cut in the center of the neck pocket so the truss rod could be adjusted with an angle driver with the strings on , but detuned , if you took the pickguard off.

Headstock adjust is much superior, provided some nimrod doesn't tear up the head of the adjusting nut. It's the one thing I liked on the American Standards.

alainvey likes this.
  14. Kanegon

Kanegon Strat-O-Master

I prefer adjusting at the headstock, but the fatter vintage carves invariably come with adjustment the heel. Just want to clarify that once you remove the screws (not just loosen), you can push the heel up out of the body about 1/3" to get at the adjustment screws without removing the neck or strings. Make the adjustment, push it back down, flip it over and replace the screws.

15. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

It's a load of old toffee isn't it?

I've got a '60's reissue and do like it a lot. I also appreciate the need for historical accuracy but I'm really surprised Leo went with that idea originally TBH.

Contemporary Gibsons had truss rod adjustment at the headstock end under a nice little cover that was adjusted with a spanner.

Much better idea IMO.

16. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It's easy. You remove the neck, adjust the truss rod, then replace the neck. This, I find, is the easiest way of doings things. It's really not difficult despite the huge fuss some people seem to make about it. People have been dong this since 1954, or 1950 in the case of Teles.

If you're not happy with this, you bought the wrong type of Strat. Sell it & buy a Strat with truss rod access at the headstock end. That will solve this particular problem. You will then get the problem instead of making sure that you have exactly the right size & type of allen key for the adjustment. If you use the wrong allen key, you can screw up the adjustment nut & render the truss rod inoperative, & the neck useless. You don't get anything for nothing in this life - it's all different degrees of compromise.

Guitarmageddon, Yogi and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  17. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

not the strats, I believe only the original teles were like this.

18. jjlemon

jjlemon Strat-Talker

I love the feel of these 50s reissue necks too. The soft v just fits my hand perfectly.

I was able to adjust the truss rod with a small driver without removing anything, it wasn't ideal, easy on mine but I can imagine that it could be an issue on other guitars with the risk of bodging up the adjustment head. So on a string change I removed the guard, dremeled out a notch in the body and a similar notch in the pick guard to allow better access to the truss adjuster. Now I think about it I might have had the neck off at the time. It is noticeable if looked for, but the benefits outweigh that in my view.

nickmsmith likes this.
  19. nickmsmith

I've been lucky in that I haven't had to adjust it once in the probably 4 years I've owned it. I keep it strung with 9s, and I've had no issue with it, luckily.

But as far as the necks go, I'm surprised the neck shape isn't more popular. It is the most comfortable neck I've ever played.

20. Thrup'ny Bit

I've only had to adjust my CP50s once, soon after I got it 10 years ago. Never had to adjust the Japanese 'beast' at all in 20 years (doesn't time fly), but it has a HUGE 54 style soft V.
    Then, I have my '82 CSL strat copy which has always been set up with zero relief. It's never been adjusted since it's initial setup and never moved, despite getting any strings I could afford to put on it for many years, including 8s and flat wound 12s!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.