1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Truss Rod Help - MIM Standard Telecaster

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by clamato, Jun 23, 2020.

1. clamato

clamato Strat-Talk Member

I just pulled out my long-forgotten 1995 Mexican Tele and noticed a great deal of forward bow to the neck (concave to the front.)

So, I've been tightening the truss rod a little each day for a week. One entire turn, altogether so far. No movement.

Continue turning? Wait a month?

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    3bolt79 likes this.
  2. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

Quarter turn a day would be super safe if you’re ODC and patient.
    Every day tune it to pitch, capo the first fret, measure the highest relief you can find (likely between the 6th and 10th fret), and write down that info into a log. Tighten the truss rod a quarter turn if the relief is above spec (like .12” off the top of my head). Rinse. Repeat.
    But if this way my guitar I would continue to turn up to one full turn per day if I wasn’t getting any resistance from the nut, and my relief was still too high. After I adjust I usually put my hand on the headstock and give it a push/pull to assist the truss rod to settle into its new position.

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

A full turn and no movement? How much bow are we talking about? Got pictures?

CB91710 and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. clamato

Thank you.

Like a banana, as guitar necks go.

After the turn and a quarter I've done on the truss rod, it's becoming very hard to move with my allen wrench.

5. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Agree with @Ebidis , we need pictures to properly assess.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Loosen the strings. Loosen the truss rod. Get a 2x4 and some protective blocks plus clamps (F-style from Harbor Freight are a great value if you don't have any) so you can clamp the neck with a slight back bow and then snug the truss rod. this way the clamps and board are doing the work, the truss rod is only holding the position. Then remove and put strings on to test.

Sometimes you can put washers behind a nut if it's bottoming out. New style truss rods won't work that way though.

It's possible the truss rod is slightly rusted in the neck channel and not moving even though you are tightening the nut.

stratomatt and Ebidis like this.
  7. clamato

Not my guitar and not me, but the guitar looks the same.

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

We need to see pics of your actual guitar and look at the relief......etc....is it strung with strings?

CB91710 likes this.
  9. clamato

How do I edit my previous postings?

10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Don't, it will just confuse things. Post pics of your guitar below.

11. clamato

We are allowed to edit our postings for a few days.

After that, our words and photos go on forever here

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  12. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-O-Master

In agreement win jvin248. Assuming you have the strings on, take them off or at least loosen them a lot. They are countering what the truss rod wants to do. I personally wouldn't limit it to one turn a day, but I wouldn't use a lot of force either. One you feel significant resistance, stop. Worst case is you will need to use some sort of jig to pull the neck straight. But hopefully you won't need to. If you have tightened it all the way and the adjustment has bottomed out, you might be able to add a couple of washers for more thread real estate.