Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

"Truss Rod Maxed Out"

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TomH8, May 20, 2017.

1. chilipepperman

chilipepperman Strat-Talk Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Now, I have to figure out how to either get a new rod, or fix the end of this one then hope to get lucky when re inserting it through the channel and hopefully through the keeper at the 7th fret that is still up in the neck. The other decision to make is do I simply loctite the threaded end into the Attachment cylinder and trust it to hold for the life of the repair. My guess is since I have that 1/4 x 1/4 inch access hole to see things, I can work the nut to see if the rod holds and doesn't spin loose before I glue in a new walnut filler piece.

2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Sweden
    I can't believe you're doing all this on your own, it would drive me insane and make me feel hopeless. Good for you! Hope you get it fixed!

Nate D likes this.

3. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Thank you Guy Sue. Being a carpenter over 1/2 my life and now having the wonderful resources we do via the internet and being able to see the experience of other Strat owners, and also a good picture and explanation from Fender here @ the link below makes visualizing what is needed to get the job done without too much worry on my part.
    http://www2.fender.com/experience/tech-talk/bi-flex-truss-rod/

4. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Well, I heard back from Fender today via email. The reply was to tell me my year guitar used the Biflex...
    And I could likely get the part at Stewmac and cut it to length, thread the ends and fix it myself. On a side note, I put a piece of masking tape on my old rod just past the depth that puts it through and past the 7th fret retaining bit. I had no problem inserting the rod past the 7th, so a new one should work great.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...ble_Truss_Rods/Traditional_Truss_Rod_Kit.html

5. Count Glockula®

Count Glockula® Strat-Talker

Aug 16, 2009
    Fenderland, CA
    Interesting problem. Good luck.

Off topic, is there a video on YouTube on how the Truss Rod functions? I'm curious.

6. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Update now that I returned from vaction in KC and St Lou.
    I ordered my T rod from Stewmac and it arrived a couple days later. As soon as I can figure out how to get the broken off bit out of the anchor, I will be about cutting my new rod to length and threading it so I can go about reinstalling the new rod into the neck.

After that, I will have to address the new walnut plug shaping and gluing back in the hole in the head stock. Also just a hint of rosewood behind the nut will need regluing once the plug is all set up.

To be cont.

7. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland

8. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    New T Rod Nut Plug1.jpg Truss Rod Anchor Out 3.JPG Truss Rod Out 3.JPG

Intended plan is to insert anchor back in neck, run the rod back thru headstock and then tighten set screw in the hole I drilled and tapped in the anchor to hold the rod from spinning.
    After rod is tight, then I can install the washer in hole in head stock, then the new nut, and 2nd washer before I install the new walnut plug and shape it to the contour of the headstock.

vid1900 likes this.

9. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Glockula,,,,,,,, not sure of youtube vid, but I will try to explain how my type of rod works.

The age my Strat is 1989 falls in between a range of early to mid 80's to early 90's and it is called a bi flex. Simply put, it is comprised of the anchor ( that shiny round piece in my pics) then a rod inserted in it and held tight by a factory constructed flat spot with sharp corners on one side of the rod and as bulge on the same section of rod 180 degrees across from the flat spot. This is essentially making a square peg in a round hole situation thus fixing the rod from spinning loose when the nut is turned back and forth in the hole in the head stock.

Now with the use of a biflex system, this type rod is able to raise a dip in a neck or lower a hump depending on if one turns the nut clockwise or counterclockwise. Clockwise will shorten the rod in the neck and press against the wood just under the first fret area and take the dip out. Counterclockwise will lengthen the rod and push the nut against the walnut plug and then press a humped neck downward to flatten it.

10. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    chilipepperman – I appreciate all the photos and explanation of what you're doing along the way.

Hope it turns out good as new!

chilipepperman likes this.

11. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks Bluejazz.. I will be almost good as new. My only delicate part will be the shaping of walnut plug and to make it look like it never came out.

12. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK

13. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Thank you Stratman. Nice to meet you over there in London.

14. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I should have added "rather you than me!" That's not a job I would want to attempt.

15. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Stratman, the only really tricky parts of this whole job or just accept "just buy a new neck, it will always be broken," was sourcing a new Truss rod, the headstock walnut plug/nut area and the potential skunk stripe/drill out the 7th fret dot marker requirement and getting those 3 things re-worked and make it look as if I had never touched a thing.

As things stand, Truss rod is in hand, and skunk stripe/dot marker alteration was averted. So, that leaves me basically addressing the walnut plug and nut/ rosewood area as the final part needed to complete the repair.

16. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    That sounds just like the problem I had with a MIM neck I bought from Ebay. The relief was fine when I got it so I didn't bother checking the truss rod and didn't notice it was busted until it needed an adjustment a few months later when the weather changed, by then it was already too late to return it. So I guess the moral of the story is always check the truss rod immediately when you buy a guitar.