Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

"Truss Rod Maxed Out"

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by TomH8, May 20, 2017.

1. chilipepperman

chilipepperman Strat-Talk Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Altar, the moral you posted is a good one. The other lesson you might research is there are more than one cause for T rod failures and thus differing methods to remedy a non functioning one.

In my case, I researched causes such as the correct size allen wrench being used, or the head of the nut being rounded off inside instead of crisp sharp corners the wrench will just fit in so it bites and doesn't just spin inside the nut head. Then third, the various ways the T rod itself could be not working or broken. One way is like mine, the nut was tight from corrosion so the rod was overtightened till it broke. I can also see potential for the rod to break up by the threaded end for the nut, or like me, broken by the anchor.

Also, As for MIM Strats, I am not sure what type Truss rod they used. Mine is the Biflex I know that were used in the American Standards.

altar likes this.

2. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    It has a single action truss rod that adjusts from the headstock. The problem sounds a lot like what was wrong with yours - I was using the right wrench and it fit and turns just fine it just doesn't do anything when it's turned. It feels like it probably turns too easily. So I'm guessing the rod is broken somewhere. Unfortunately I don't think I have the skills to fix it myself like you and it isn't worth paying someone to fix such a cheap neck. It's cool to see someone fix it themselves though, thanks for posting.

3. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Altar, I think you are definitely describing the same "feel" the turning of my wrench was leaving me experiencing. The wrench turned but felt no sense of tight or loose, just turning.

How old is your MIM Strat? Not sure I made it known too many times here, but my particular Am Std neck is from '89.

As some additional FYI, after getting my rod out thru the neck hole and getting my new one, I went to loosen the old nut from the old rod. I put some vice grips on the rod, and the allen wrench in the nut. It took a fair bit of torque to loosen, but not as much as some rusty car parts for a comparison.
    As I have read in my research of Truss rods, I read that use of a bit of oil down in the hole from time to time is a good thing for keeping the nut from "sticking" to the threads and being hard to loosen/tighten without essentially wringing off the rod before the nut breaks free to adjust as intended.

4. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Ok, it has been a little while now since I have been able to devote any time to my Strat Truss rod.
    I finally went to Home Depot to buy a pair of set screws. They happen to be 1/4 x20 x 7/16 long and 1/2 inch long ones just in case. Upon returning home, I drilled a hole through the anchor and then carefully tapped the hole to accept the set screw.

Once tapped, I threaded the screw in part way and then slid the rod into the anchor like it would go once in the neck.
    Then I tightened down the set screw lightly in order to see it snug down and hold the rod tight enough to loosen the nut by hand.

My next task I will do tomorrow is to cut the rod to length, take a round file to file a recess spot in the rod and then the T rod will be ready to reinstall in the neck. Once the rod is inserted, I will need to put some loctite on the set screw and tighten it down nice and tight and then that phase of the repair will be complete.

The next phase of the repair will be to put the washers and nut on the new rod, insert, glue and shape the new walnut plug and finally glue in a few small bits of rosewood behind the nut that chipped off while drilling out the plug.

vid1900 likes this.

5. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Rod cut and photographed. I will post pics once uploaded

vid1900 likes this.

6. apm1991

apm1991 Strat-Talker

Feb 14, 2017
    Arizona
    I once bought an acoustic off craigslist that had no strings for $20.. the neck was so bowed that I turned the truss rod so much until the nut came out and I could no longer adjust it.... sounds good on the first 5 frets now lol

7. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    The whole idea is not to strip off those tiny threads.

Sometimes you have to **help** the truss rod by bending the neck by hand, THEN turn the truss nut. Have your friend hold the body down, while you push the headstock back.

If it's tight, stop!

If the neck is REALLY bowed (like you left it a few days in a hot car), you might even have to clamp it straight while heating it.

Never be afraid to take it to a luither.....it's what they do.

Thrup'ny Bit and apm1991 like this.

8. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Yay, it worked. I am having major issues with taking pictures with my new phone and then loading them on my computer.

Attached Files:

9. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    I have seen dave on Dave's world (YouTube) fix this problem by clamping the neck and letting it sit for a few days, adjusting the clamp as needed.

If you've never watched him he is a Canadian guitar tech and his channel is a wealth of knowledge.

10. chilipepperman

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Dan Erlewine does the same in some Stewmac videos with a vintage Fender Bass neck as well. I will see if I can find a link.