Truss rod position in AVRIs - when did it change?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by stratman323, May 29, 2015.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

This thread grew out of a discussion in this thread, & a couple of PMs between me & bluenote23. It seemed like it was worth starting a new thread about this

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/str...-1987-fullerton-57-reissue-3.html#post2011198

It's something I haven't really noticed before, but the truss rod position in the neck butt seems to be in a slightly different position on 1986 US 62RIs. I can only check this on pics I have of guitars that have passed through my hands, so I thought other ST members might like to post pics of their guitars so that a picture emerges.

The earliest AVRIs tended to have the truss rod partly cut into the rosewood slab board, like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But by 1986, it had moved down below the rosewood.

[​IMG]

But by 1988 it seems to have moved back up into the rosewood.

[​IMG]

This seems strange. Could anyone else who has an 80s AVRI please post pics to show what theirs is like? I'm curious whether 1986 was unusual - they changed the positioning & then decided to change it back again? Was it accidental?

Pre-CBS Fender practice seems to have been to have the rod cut into the rosewood, which makes the '86s seem like the exception. I wonder why they would change something like this?

This raises one other point too. It is commonly believed that the '86 AVRIs were assembled at Corona from left over Fullerton parts - this is widely quoted in adverts for these guitars. The lone voice in the wilderness to challenge this belief is our very own JohnC, who has quoted Fender sources who said this wasn't correct - the '86 parts were made at Corona. If it's true that the truss rod positioning on the '86s is different to the Fullertons, this seems to confirm what JohnC has said.

2. stratman323

By 2001, it seems to be just cutting into the rosewood.

[​IMG]

:confused:

3. blueworm

blueworm Senior Stratmaster

Mine, 1986 RI'62

[​IMG]

Same as your 86, rod just below the RW.

4. blueworm

A bit off topic, but I believe JohnC version. Not only because he is one of the most knowledgeable person on Fender here, but also because it would have not make sense for a new company (FMIC) ramping up a new team of workers to rely on old stock of body and necks. They had a skeleton team to start with (most re-hired from CBS) but probably went to hire new people during 1986 with skill of making new guitars to build up. They might have used a Fullerton stash of hardware for some time, even some tooling. But I doubt they spent the whole year of 1986 to assemble bodies and necks from the old factory.

5. stratman323

Oh I believe John too, but it would be nice to have some kind of proof that we can point to to confirm he's right. The truss rod position may give us that.

6. blueworm

7. sensei

sensei Strat-Talker

This is mine, March 1st, 1986. I would say it cuts in the rosewood, but could be wrong.... judge yourselves...

Attached Files:

8. Mandrax

Mandrax Senior Stratmaster

Here's an 86 posted on this site back in 2012 by Mutato

[​IMG]

Original Link

9. stratman323

Just. They weren't very consistent, were they? :neutral:

10. Mandrax

Mandrax Senior Stratmaster

I wonder if it's possible that there is just a place where the truss rod needs to sit and they aimed for that area without getting too exact? Would be interesting to know whether this could have any affect on playability or the way the truss rod itself works.

11. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

I've never built a guitar from scratch, so I wouldn't know. But I can't help to think that this might have some connections to the look of the walnut plug on headstock.

Some plugs are shorter more egg shaped and some are more pointy and sharper. If there is a connection I would love to know, maybe someone who does build guitar like Ron Kirn be able to pitch in here helping us understand.

This is a picture of the early CS strats owned by KCStratman. Some sort of dark blue metallic. If I remember correctly these two were made same year and very little time gap between them

But look at the difference between the plug at the headstock
    [​IMG]

12. stratman323

62RIs don't have a headstock plug.

13. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

No but you said Avri in thread title and the end hole of the truss rod differs on the one piece maple necks as well it's not just the rosewood necks.

14. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Here's a closer (blurrier) photo of my 1986 '62 AVRI neck.

[​IMG]

Side related, here's a 1992 '57 AVRI neck I had on a previous partscaster.

[​IMG]

15. blueworm

It differs in relation to the rosewood slab board. So this is irrelevant for one piece maple necks, i.e. those (57RIs) who have the plug.

16. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member

Exactly.

I don't think the workers at this time had any inkling how closely their work would be scrutinized.

17. stratman323

Well no! :D

It's not really any wonder that I thought that maybe my '86 was some sort of strange fake for many years. Until I found ST.

18. blueworm

:) ... They were oblivious to any kind of stratology, just like their mates back in the pre-CBS days.

19. jstewart

jstewart Strat-O-Master

Just waiting for someone to chime and talk about how they can hear the tone differences in relation to how close the truss rod is to the fingerboard.

20. bluenote23

bluenote23 Strat-Talker

I have always used the truss rod placement cutting into the slab as a test of authenticity of AVRI 62 slab necks (on Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Telecasters and Stratocasters) so this anomaly punches a hole into that test.

I am sure we're not going to find any AVRI '62 Jazzmasters, Jaguars or Telecaster Customs that don't have historically correct truss rod placement so it would be good to know the limits of the discrepancy in Stratocasters necks.