Trying my hand at leatherwork

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bodean, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

I have always found leather working a fun hobby. I decided to get a little more serious with it. here is a guitar strap I made last week. It is more challenging than expected. Tools of the trade require a bit of an investment too. Does anyone else get into this hobby?
    1458168041224.jpg 1458168051152.jpg 1458168047202.jpg

2. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster

I tried some leather for fun as a kid but got into metal and jewelry more seriously . That's good stamp work , and
    a technique that's used a lot in making 'Indian' jewelry, which is what I did as a teenager and young adult . Silversmithing.
    I liked fire and machines , so leather work didn't hold me :cool:. Stamping takes practice to get good, usually . You can get pretty far into carving and stamping , like for saddles . It's people who can do fancy engraving (leather carving and metal engraving) that impress me a lot. That's an area I never did enough to get any good at , so it has a mystique to it , still .

Cam, abnormaltoy and Bodean like this.
  3. nhsdpl

nhsdpl Senior Stratmaster

For a first effort, that's pretty good :thumb:

Cheers.

Exhead, abnormaltoy and Bodean like this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I did many years ago but not at that level. That's really nice.

BluesDontCare, abnormaltoy and Bodean like this.
  5. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

That's really interesting, what kind of tools did you need to do that?

abnormaltoy and Bodean like this.
  6. Hash McBrown

Hash McBrown Senior Stratmaster

That's really nice work! I made a guitar strap and have it on my bass, now (the American Deluxe got traded in for the bass.) Nice and wide. I also made a leather belt buckle from a Tandy Leather kit to keep the buckle rash off the backs of my guitars. I don't mind the natural wear but I'd rather not encourage it. Here's one of the many holsters I made (keep in mind that it's my daily carry, usually in my pocket. It looked better new.)

abnormaltoy and Bodean like this.
  7. carver

carver Gone strangling

holy smokes man! nice looking work.

8. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

Thanks for the replies. Joel it takes whatever stamping tool ir tools you choose, a mallet, some leather, and a piece of granite is what I use for a solid base to stamp the leather. It takes thought and practice to do a design. You really only get one shot to do it right. I gave this one to my son, and I snapped some quick pics before he was out the door with it. I have enough leather for one more. The next one will be a bit different.

9. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

I made a pattern from poster board to get everything the way I wanted it. Patterns are available to buy, but I figured I would make my own style and width.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member

Bodean - Nice work! My Dad did leather work, and got good at it. I learned a little from him, and did a little. I did a purse, a couple wallets and a guitar strap. Have done a few minor repairs on things the last couple years.

You did a nice job with the stamps and carving. I have not done much of that, and what I did was in the 80s.

Bodean likes this.
  11. Bob M

Bob M Strat-Talker

I'd buy one...

12. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

Believe me, I see why good leather straps are high now.

abnormaltoy and The Strat Dude like this.
  13. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

Started out making some bracelets for my wife and daughter, then my wife wanted a belt. Its growing.

abnormaltoy and stratman in va like this.
  14. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Nice, did you need to stain it or did the dark color around the stamp occur naturally?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  15. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

It occured during staining. It is a saddle brown. The color is darker and redder than I thought it would be. But its ok

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  16. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

I had a go at another strap. This one was a bit more challenging. getting the straps the way I wanted to get the buckle to work. You would think there would be measurements and such online, but Icouldn't find any. Just photos. So I uneducated guessed most of it. Anyway it is what it is, and it wound up functioning as it should. I at least have a model to go by for the future. If I can keep my son from snatching them and running off with them. Oh well, if it wasn't for him I probably wouldn't be doing this anyway.
    The color was a bit of an educational experience. I had some black dye. I thought this strap would be a black one. Turns out the black was an antique black, and didn't saturate into a solid color. Just kinda rubbed all of and left a see through black glaze that looked like a greenish hue when it dried. Probably would have been cool, but I went back over with a medium brown and it turned out looking more aged. The cross is actually the antique black so I left it that way for contrast. Also got my first experience at punching holes and stitching the cross by hand. If I keep doing this I may have to look into a sewing machine for leather.
    Anyway it was fun, thought I would share. I have another one in the works, but this time I have ordered the black dye I need.
    1459823435536.jpg 1459823452621.jpg 1459966629906.jpg 1459966637692.jpg 1459966676444.jpg 1459966692004.jpg 1459966697751.jpg

17. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

That's some nice looking work Bodean.

BluesDontCare and Bodean like this.
  18. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man

Thanks for the compliment Mouse, I am self teaching my way, like I do everything else I ever done in life.

19. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Yeah I'm the same. Heaven forbid I make my life easier and have someone teach me something. :p

Monkeyboy, Fred 31, fattboyzz and 3 others like this.
  20. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules!

Hey Bo nice work!! My stepdad used to do leather work, so I did some when I was 13 or 14. Not near that nice!! I t6hink I made a mean key chain strap or two, LOL. There is too much patience involved for me to ever be good at it. If you decide to sell some I am in for a couple.

electroplasmolog and abnormaltoy like this.