Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Trying to date this Fernandes "The Function"

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by 8barlouie, Jul 7, 2017.

1. 8barlouie

8barlouie Strat-Talk Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Southcoast Massachusetts
    IMG_0124.JPG IMG_0125.JPG IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0129.JPG IMG_0130.JPG

From what I've been able to gather on my own, this seems to have been made anywhere from 1980 to 1984. What perplexes me is that all the other photos of "The Function" headstocks seem to be body colored. Also, the saddles aren't stamped. According to one resource, Fernandes saddles weren't plain until after 84, but then the stock would have had the drip on it unstead of the exact copy on this one.
    Finally, does anyone know what pickups came with this? Not sure what these are because I haven't taken the PG off yet, but they sound hot and a little nasal like cermic pickups sound, but they have the staggered poles like a regular wound pickup.

Thanks for the help!

Robins likes this.

2. Tamarindo03

Tamarindo03 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Lucerne
    It's allways a little bit difficult to date Fernandes Guitars exactly. There is a Facebook group called "fernandes japanese strat's and tele's". Join this group, post some pictures. Jon løvestad and other guys will answer your questions! :)

8barlouie likes this.

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Guinness Powered Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire
    A guess, and only a guess, but I'd say around 1981 due to the pressed saddles and Fender shaped headstock.

8barlouie likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    "Trying to date this Fernandes"

Have you tried just asking it out? Don't be shy.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Nice guitar.

8barlouie and Will Lefeurve like this.

6. 8barlouie

Nov 15, 2016
    Southcoast Massachusetts
    It was love at first sight.

7. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Its pre 1985, I'm pretty certain of that. Chances are you may know of this resource already, but if you don't, here's a link to Fernandes guitar catalogues, dating right back to 1973.

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/catalog/

I have a feeling the dating of your guitar will be somewhat approximate, but I wish you luck nonetheless.. :thumb:

8barlouie likes this.

8. Shredder69

Shredder69 New Member!

Jan 11, 2016
    Norway
    Early 1985. I made more notes about this on your Fernandes post over at Japanaxe. Just thought I'd chime in here.

8barlouie likes this.

9. Shredder69

Shredder69 New Member!

Jan 11, 2016
    Norway
    Main group I hang in is Fernandes - Burny Guitars, though.

10. bonedust

bonedust Strat-Talk Member

Jan 25, 2016
    Brisbane Australia
    I'm no expert on Fernandes but a lot of MIJ guitars date by the serial number.
    Yours would be Dec 1980.
    A= Jan up to L= Dec
    0 = 80 the first digit is the year. Sometimes the first two digits.
    You can usually tell if it's 1970 or 1980 by the hardware etc.
    Earlier Fernandes had a Fender font logo. Some had 'by Burny' underneath.

I may be corrected by someone with better experience.

11. Shredder69

Shredder69 New Member!

Jan 11, 2016
    Norway
    c
    This isn't applicable for Fernandes, with the exception of first digit = last digit in year on the mid-70's guitars. L-serials are strictly sequential and contain no dating information in itself.

8barlouie likes this.

12. wmachine

wmachine Strat-Talker

Mar 5, 2016
    Ohio
    True. Furthermore, though sequential, not exactly sequential, meaning higher is usually but not always newer.
    Makes the s/n just about useless to use it for much of anything.

Furthermore, the headstock is not a surefire way to date either because though headstock shape changes were made on models like the Revolver in starting in '86, the Fender style shown here on The Function were kept on some models into the '90s. Catalogs confirm this.

8barlouie likes this.

13. 8barlouie

Nov 15, 2016
    Southcoast Massachusetts
    IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0127.JPG IMG_0128.JPG
    @Shredder69 Thanks for the intel! Here are a few more photos. I'm really bonding with it. The cracks are in the finish only.

14. Shredder69

Shredder69 New Member!

Jan 11, 2016
    Norway
    Do you have any good examples of "not exactly sequential"? As far as I've seen, they are pretty much straight on with some room for production runs, several finishing stations, variants like gold/black etc. I've seen a few where neck date doesn't match assumed serial date at all, to which the circumstances would be most likely to assume parts having been swapped. The odd plate could have been lost and found, some guitars have plates taken from other guitars etc., but in general they're pretty straight.

And yes, some think they changed the headstock on ALL their guitars, while the truth is that they had several headstocks AND decals running in parallell.

15. Shredder69

Shredder69 New Member!

Jan 11, 2016
    Norway