Trying to sell my Player Strat

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by FrieAsABird, Nov 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

I bought my Arctic white player strat a few months ago used for a pretty good price and realised, after owning two of them before, that I still don’t really like the pickups or the 22 frets or the 2 point Trem. I like the neck, but don’t love it- I prefer the CV ones. So I’ve been trying to sell it again, and on our version of Craigslist, People can put a heart on listings so the seller sees how many views it has and how many people are watching it. I’ve posted it a few times and all of my listings get multiple hundred views within a week and by now, there’s 15 people watching the listings at all times, but nobody’s messaging. Not even low ballers! I don’t really think that it’s the Price, but the fact that it’s toward the end of the month and people are in a budget due to the virus anyway. But it is rather strange. Never had as much of a problem selling any guitar as this one- maybe it’s cursed!

circles likes this.
  2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Uhhh
    Would you take payments and cover shipping to the middle of the U.S.?

Look at yhat! Your first low ball. Lol. Keep uour head up. It will sell. O always seem ti get people that ask then when I answer I get no second response.

Deathray and FrieAsABird like this.
  3. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talker

My biggest problem in the past with Craigslist and people...it has always seemed everyone thinks their stuff is worth a million bucks, but ain't willing to give me a dime for my stuff. Even priced at "more than fair"; people want everything for free. I have flat out given up on Craigslist.

RadioFM74, stilesg57 and FrieAsABird like this.
  4. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

In some cases
    Shipping is a deal breaker...
    Earlier this year
    Sold two amps on Reverb
    Lost some of my fading buttocks...

Stratafied and simoncroft like this.
  5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

If people feel like the price is unrealistic, they won’t even bother. But a well priced item will usually move fast.
    Personally, in the US at least.. I wouldn’t even give a second look to a player strat priced at $500+
    For me, and I’m sure others are the same way, I’m not looking to buy anything unless it’s a very good bargain. Which stinks for sellers sometimes.

6. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Too many people with time on there hands and pockets with holes in them.

Stratafied, s5tuart and thomquietwolf like this.
  7. Isca

Isca Strat-Talker

I favourite a bunch of stuff that I'm interested in on Gumtree (our UK version of Craigslist), but if the price is too high I won't even bother lowballing - I'll just wait until I see the seller realise they're asking too much and drop their price to a more realistic level.

...and THEN I'll make an offer! :D

I think you also have to remember that right now there are lots of people sat at home, with time on their hands but insecure financial futures... we all love a bit of window shopping and daydreaming about gear we'd love, but with many people that will never translate into an actual sale unless the price is too good to miss out on.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Hmmm......if so you'll need the wing of a bat, eye of newt, the tail of a black cat, three smooth stones, a hair from a witches nose wart, and a live chicken.

Get back to me when you have all of the ingredients and I'll help you lift the curse. :D

PCollen, s5tuart and FrieAsABird like this.
  9. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

I’ve been trying to sell a couple of amps over the last month with the same results. Good amps, good price.. just no buyers, lots of people looking though.

Handsome McClane and FrieAsABird like this.
  10. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

I mean I don’t want to sound cocky but I’ve been in the game for a few years and pride myself in knowing the market quite well, and I’m pretty sure that this has something to do with the generally tense condition of the economy due to the virus. Stil, I hope that them folks will get their money and Christmas bonuses etc soon.

11. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

Another „problem“ if you can even call it that is the fact that in my brain, a guitar I am trying to sell is basically gone already and I just can’t get myself to play it at the moment. It’s sitting in its case, waiting for someone new to breathe new life into it while I browse for a replacement :confused:

12. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525

So , how much do you want for it and do you have a few pics?

13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Well @FrieAsABird it starts to look promising ;D

FrieAsABird and s5tuart like this.
  14. s5tuart

Well I am after a Strat........:sneaky:

FrieAsABird and RadioFM74 like this.
  15. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

Considering that it has upgraded saddles and a golden fender pickguard plus virtually no playwear, I’ve set the price at about 550 euros. May sound high, and it is, but they are 650 new here without upgrade and I am of course willing to negotiate. Some pics:

Attached Files:

gutshank, RadioFM74 and s5tuart like this.
  16. s5tuart

Do you still have the original pickguard and saddles?
    and yes, that is a high price :D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  17. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

The guy I got it from said he used the original parts on other projects so no, they ain’t there anymore. About the price, I don’t really need to sell it- only to buy other guitars, that is :whistling: At first I was going to list it at a lower price, but seeing that people are listing them even higher in worse condition and actually selling them for crazy money, I thought why not build high- I can always go lower but not higher with my asking price:)

s5tuart likes this.
  18. CFFF

CFFF Strat-Talker

I think the price is reasonable. The problem can be the pickguard. It might be nice to you but not potential buyers. If you can put on the original pickguard and try to sell again with new photograph you might have some success. :)

FrieAsABird likes this.
  19. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

The saddles are Highwood Saddles, shorter screws and rounded edges for smoother feel- supposedly a better sound too, but I guess that’s like tonewood o_O

s5tuart likes this.
  20. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

Thanks for the advice, I agree but sadly I got the guitar without the original guard. If I really had to sell it now, I’d put it up for less but again, no rush- just wondering how others experience the market right now

CFFF likes this.