Trying to straighten neck by adjusting truss rod

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
This is obviously a joke/ troll.

Where's the obvious part? If it isn't immediately identifiable by pretty much everyone, I'd say it isn't that obvious. And I don't see anything here that makes it obviously a troll. Folks are wayyyy to quick to say that these days, as if it's a contest to see who, can identify trolls first.

My truss rod was barely doing anything to my neck when I got my most recent guitar. I ended up having to turn it quite a bit just to put 0.004" in it. I easily could've grabbed a drill to do it considering how many turns it took. And with a speed sensitive trigger, it's easily controllable so you aren't wide open, turning the truss rod at 400 rpm. It'll go as slow as I want or need it to.

I've also got a guitar with a truss rod that takes a little more force to turn vs the rest of my guitars. Without a long Allen wrench for more leverage, I could easily see myself using a drill to turn it. So, IMO, this could easily happen to almost anyone that's new to playing guitar. Especially if they aren't as educated about maintenance, etc...as we are.

Last edited:

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
Where's the obvious part? If it isn't immediately identifiable by pretty much everyone, I'd say it isn't that obvious. And I don't see anything here that makes it obviously a troll. Folks are wayyyy to quick to say that these days, as if it's a contest to see who, can identify trolls first.

My truss rod was barely doing anything to my neck when I got my most recent guitar. I ended up having to turn it quite a bit just to put 0.004" in it. I easily could've grabbed a drill to do it considering how many turns it took. And with a speed sensitive trigger, it's easily controllable so you aren't wide open, turning the truss rod at 400 rpm. It'll go as slow as I want or need it to.

I've also got a guitar with a truss rod that takes a little more force to turn vs the rest of my guitars. Without a long Allen wrench for more leverage, I could easily see myself using a drill to turn it. So, IMO, this could easily happen to almost anyone that's new to playing guitar. Especially if they aren't as educated about maintenance, etc...as we are.
While I would generally agree, the member posting this has pulled jokes or pranks like these before, so to me it seemed obvious. And if you are new to playing and setting guitars up and the first thing that comes to mind is using a power drill to adjust the truss rod, you should probably take a step back and evaluate what you're trying to do. Plus, the sheer size of the drill in the pic plus the angle makes it look like a deliberate attempt at a joke, but that's only my interpretation of course. Maybe its just a clueless guy using power tools to turn a small screw a quarter turn...

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
The guy can't tell what a Squier Standard is and what it's worth.....I think he's a hack who needs the cornfield now.....I tried helping in another thread but he's clueless.....

I suggesting hanging out at Squier-Talk, there are a lot more hacks who don't do things properly there....

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
Just me, but if there is a slight warp, saddles and nut can be adjusted & made to play individual strings more or less playable. Nothing is perfect or ever stays perceptively as perfect forever ? Adapt and play the instrument in spite of it. EVH did with a Frankenstrat. This falls under the $ 100 straight Squier being a better guitar than a warped Fender. This where being a Luthier & that magic comes into making the magic happen some things can be adjusted, others need to be replaced, as long as the instrument is still playable, it may still make some magical music.

Engine Swap

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 23, 2019
Chicago
You should always adjust the truss rod manually, never use power tools.

4a8010.jpg

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
The guy can't tell what a Squier Standard is and what it's worth.....I think he's a hack who needs the cornfield now.....I tried helping in another thread but he's clueless.....

I suggesting hanging out at Squier-Talk, there are a lot more hacks who don't do things properly there....
Yeah, he seems like a strange guy, but maybe he’s just a hack, not a troll, either way we will see…

Miotch

Most Honored Senior Member
Jun 28, 2011
ok
Oh my.
Allen key. NO drills.
NO DRILLS!
May well have fubar'd the truss rod, but in hope, have you loosened the strings, turned truss rod (no more than 1/4 at a time) re tuned and let settle?
If you just tighten truss, you increase string tension, which in turn, will want to pull neck forward.
NO DRILLS. Please.
It's OK, he said it's an impact wrench, so no drill used !!!
You should always adjust the truss rod manually, never use power tools.

4a8010.jpg
I was just going to suggest a breakover bar, with an attached cheater bar too, if needed.
Right tool for the job, and all.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now

The OP has not used a drill. He used an Impact which is not designed to have much "finesse". If the tool of choice for what most consider a somewhat delicate job is an Impact, there is no point in trying have a serious/helpful discussion.

Perhaps on the next thread.