Trying to straighten neck by adjusting truss rod

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Ok u on the right track. High action is where its at, just ask malmsteen. So what I would do next is fit the drill with a peg winder. Cheap strings wont do here, your gonna need some concertina wire. Strong and its gonna look SO metal. Down tune to negative bflat and chug.

wooders

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 19, 2021
Kent
If you have turned rod all the way to it's limit, you are likely (though not necessarily) to have back bow, where the neck has a hump in it, which is likely why you are having to raise action.
You can't assume that you can get super low action on any guitar. I can get it that way on a few of mine, but they have had the nut cut and frets levelled by a pro.
Probably easier to look up you tube for set up and start over.
How are you measuring relief/checking straightness on the neck?

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
If you have turned rod all the way to it's limit, you are likely (though not necessarily) to have back bow, where the neck has a hump in it, which is likely why you are having to raise action.
You can't assume that you can get super low action on any guitar. I can get it that way on a few of mine, but they have had the nut cut and frets levelled by a pro.
Probably easier to look up you tube for set up and start over.
How are you measuring relief/checking straightness on the neck?
With a railroad tie.

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
Ok kids. What did we learn today?
No power tools on truss rod!

Very good. Tomorrow we will tackle something more difficult: "why we don't drink gasoline"

I can, use a drill on mine withiut breaking anything. Nobody else can? It's called finger control lol!

AV59

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Should I loosen it off a bit? The neck doesn't look straighter but I ended up getting so much more fret buzz than I had before and had to raise all my saddles way up. The action doesn't even seem much better so I'm pretty pissed off right now.
The guy could fix it for you:

65FC6202-BB32-478B-92B8-1508F2C26D45.jpeg

chuckygm

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 2, 2011
MASS
I turn the truss rod all the way but the neck still isn't completely straight. Should I keep turning the screw?
Oh god. Use your hand and a screw driver, please. Feel the tension as you slowly turn it and keep an eye on the fretboard. You’ll see it adjust. No screw guns.

demilieu

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 5, 2012
houston
I turn the truss rod all the way but the neck still isn't completely straight. Should I keep turning the screw?
are you sure you are turning the rod the right direction? some strat necks have a two-way 'dual action' truss rod which can adjust the neck bow in either direction to correct a reverse warp as well as set correct relief. looks like there's a big concave bow there.

Last edited:

Phrankenstrat

Strat-Talk Member
Silver Member
Dec 11, 2012
Virginia
I'm surprised the impact wrench didn't work. No worries though. You'll need to soak the neck fully submerged in a container of hot water for at least 7 days. At the end of that 7 days, you'll need to put the neck in the oven with a brick underneath the middle and a brick on the TOP of each end. Heat the oven to 400 degrees and "roast" it for about 2 days. I'm sure you've heard of roasted necks being the new thing now. If that doesn't work, contact Warmoth. They'll get a new neck to you for a small charge.

demilieu

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 5, 2012
houston
contact warmouth, it may have a dual action truss rod and you are going the wrong direction. otherwise, if it's new under warranty get a replacement neck

Last edited:

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
I'm surprised the impact wrench didn't work. No worries though. You'll need to soak the neck fully submerged in a container of hot water for at least 7 days. At the end of that 7 days, you'll need to put the neck in the oven with a brick underneath the middle and a brick on the TOP of each end. Heat the oven to 400 degrees and "roast" it for about 2 days. I'm sure you've heard of roasted necks being the new thing now. If that doesn't work, contact Warmoth. They'll get a new neck to you for a small charge.
Sparkling or distilled water?

Sartrewasright

New Member!
Mar 6, 2014
Carpinteria, CA
Sometimes the truss rod just can't get the neck as straight as you want it....but that's only on cheap crap guitars....a good guitar, like a Fender, will usually take the neck into back bow country before it breaks.

kilroy

Strat-Talker
Jun 21, 2011
PA
Yeah man, make sure you set the torque setting all the way to "Drill" and then really lay into it hard. Don't worry if you hear any strange noises, that's just the neck screaming reacting to what you're doing.

hogrider16

Strat-Talker
Jul 26, 2017
Martinsburg, WV
I know dude but the thing is to hard to turn so I used the impact wrench to really crank it but I swear it's not even having an effect.
Is it not turning? I once had to use WD-40 and let it set overnight. Turned easily the next day. If you are having to force it, you're going to break it. It's really just that simple.