Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tube amp sound fading out on clean channel

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Mansonienne, Jul 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    so my Laney VC-15 is giving me trouble...again...grr.
    Sometimes the sound fades away. The other day I was using the clean channel and the sound was gone. I switched to drive and it was fine. All tbe tubes are new, as are the capacitors, and a tech (highly recommended) serviced it. Any ideas?
    Maybe I just need to get myself that Fender (that would be too loud for my basement and cost more than I can afford...)...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    alainvey likes this.

2. Dewey

Dewey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 2, 2010
    Bellingham, Wa.
    I had a Blackstar amp that would cut out and it was the volume pot. I suspect yours might be something different. Where are the amp experts when you need them? :)

Mansonienne likes this.

3. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Oh no............... not again.

The first thing I'd try is wiggling all of the appropriate switches/knobs. Maybe "nudge" the side of the amp. :whistling:

See what kind of intelligent suggestions you can get from a BSEE. :p

Mansonienne and Dewey like this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    What tubes?

I was using jj tubes 6l6 and the pins were smaller/thinner than the sovtecs that were in there before. Contacts were not good.

6. Mansonienne

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    JJ el 84. Previous ones were TADs. But it's been a few months since I had them replaced.

7. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    In did a quick search online and this issue has been discussed on other forums. This amp has a rather complicated channel switching design. Uses 2 internal relays with associated drive electronics. Probably out of the realm of diagnosis from afar.

Page 17 for the block diagram.
    https://www.laney.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/c4e619e32867a759c645efeb3901cb16.pdf

See page 18 for when the amp is working properly.
    Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 3.15.30 PM.png

I'm sort of thinking this amp is just a bit jinxed. :(

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Robins and Mansonienne like this.

8. Boppy

Boppy Strat-Talker

May 29, 2011
    Toronto
    Hi, Mansonienne.

I have a Marshall 8040 that used to have that problem.
    Try this first, it might be a quick fix for you too--simply take a patch cable and connect it between the Send/Return jacks of the Effects loop.

Hope it helps ;)

Mansonienne likes this.

9. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    What is this "clean channel" you speak of?

..:p

Textele, Robins, carver and 4 others like this.

10. FormerTeleGuy

FormerTeleGuy Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL
    Even new tubes can cause issues and be screwed up in a subtle way. If you have any spares it wouldn't hurt to experiment a bit to see if a tube is he culprit. Start simple first.

Dewey and Mansonienne like this.

11. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    Might be time for another amp ....
    Vox ac 15 if you don't need an effects loop ..... maybe :)

Mansonienne likes this.

12. Mansonienne

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Thanks. I have my eye on a Fender...but I think my eyes are bigger than my budget...

Stratkins 51, Dewey and jimyjazz like this.

13. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    Yes I know the feeling.... I was born with champagne tastes and a beer budget lol :confused:

Dewey and Mansonienne like this.

14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    Heart O' Dixie
    Try all knobs and switches, and look at the effects loop. My tube' drops volume on both channels. I turn up the volume knob, then an hour later it JUMPS volume and splits an ear drum...accidentally discovered its the effects loop sensitivity slider switch. It has three settings and moving it creates on/off/LOUD/soft erratic volume like it has dust in it or something. I run a jumper thru the effects btw. Switch needs to be replaced, but its manageable, and is more sensitive at home volumes, less of an issue at band volumes.

Mansonienne likes this.

15. Mansonienne

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Thanks I'll try it.

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Guinness Powered Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire
    Sounds like a capacitor going bad when it gets warm. Only a tech can tell you for sure.

Mansonienne likes this.

17. jeff h

jeff h Strat-O-Master

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    I know your pain, I have a 6505+ that would randomly cut out to about 10% volume. Not very often, but you certainly couldn't trust it to gig with. It has been at the Amp tech for about a month waiting on Peavey to send parts to make it all better. Honestly, that is probably the best place for yours too. Let the experts diagnose and fix it.

You know, that one channel you have to switch to for the intro to Fade to Black. ;)

Mansonienne and sam_in_cali like this.

18. Robins

Robins Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Yes, like @johnnymg already mentioned - most probably the relay is going bad.
    It is not that expensive but that means another repair for around €50.
    If you feel comfortable (high voltages - switch off the amp and disconnect the power cable) open up the amp and give the relais some hits(screwdriver handle) but the symptoms will return and it will get worse anyway.
    Sometimes it really helps to switch the channels several times in a row.
    A relay is just a switch with a coil attached and sometimes those contacts are sticking to each other or not making clean enough contact.
    The relays are those little white things looking like some sort of Lego bricks.
    [​IMG]

All the best,
    Robin

Tube ToneChaser and Mansonienne like this.

19. Mansonienne

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Thanks...repairs are also a 35-minute drive (one way)...this is getting annoying.
    Last night it seemed to work ok.

Robins likes this.

20. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    If you dont know what you are doing, it might be best not to open the amp up and go poking around. Even with it unplugged there are things in there that can kill you.

Mansonienne likes this.

21. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Our forefathers seemed to want the sound of an acoustic, but louder. This they called "clean."