Tube amps, wives and home volume question

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Deafsoundguy, Apr 13, 2020.

1. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Strat-Talk Supporter

He was that "little kid" who lived not far from our home in Kitchener Ontario, hell of a player.

Mr Swisher and duzie like this.
  2. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

Tough as nails !
    As a NJ Devil fan we were fortunate that he brought stability to a floundering franchise!

Mr Swisher and T Bone Slort like this.
  3. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

I tricked out an already tricked out Crate VC508 with a sweet Weber Alnico 5. That little amp sings. :confused:

4. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-Talker

I sure wish I could demonstrate the “zing” of tube air to you from one of my amps. My HR Deville doesn’t seem to react the same way the Twin does. The Deville just sounds great clean. But my Twin is different. You turn it on, and once it comes up it sounds great too...but then about 15 minutes later if you’re playing something all of a sudden the amp comes alive with this lush airy overtone. It does it every time. And it’s easy to hear if you’re looking for it. The tubes just need to get hot enough I guess to make that effect noticeable. It would clearly turn one to a believer if one questioned a Tube amp over SS. But all amps are different so some will sound way more pronounced than others as far as overtones and with changes of volume it’s going to change again...

I honestly believe I got one of the special Twins... there’s the run of the mill ones, the okay ones and the one built when the moon was blue I guess. I’ve never heard that much of a difference on rental Twins... and mine was bought new and is still stock. Very low hours. It’s just freaking too freaking loud on 1...:confused:

Jesse414 and Cerb like this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

My ears might be broken :D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Jesse414 likes this.
  6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

My '66 Princeton Reverb was the amp my wife banned from the house in the 80s...

She even complains that the Katana on 0.5 watts can be too loud. She's not wrong either, it can be way too loud, as can the dreaded Micro Cube if I put my mind to it.

7. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-O-Master

I have a Mesa boogie express 5:50 plus, I play on the five watt setting, it’s loud and it’s not anywhere near turned up. We have a good size house on two acres but you can hear the guitar in any room of the house, even the basement. I’m blessed with a wife who doesn’t mind and we can still talk over the guitar, but it isn’t quiet by any means.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  8. crazyrachey96

crazyrachey96 Strat-O-Master

Attenuator, attenuator, attenuator.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  9. Deafsoundguy

As mentioned, I have 2. They don't work for low home volume levels, at that point they suck so much life out of the tone, it's not worth it. I just want a smaller amp with tube TONE. Attenuators are awesome for dropping the the big volumes to quieter stage levels. I used to have one built into the back of my Twin hidden, so that the rental client on stage (me providing backline) would get a good tone before he went to the moon type levels. On a smaller power tube amp, the att will probably work fine, but as mentioned I'm still then in the market for a small amp.... kinda like a feedback loop...:confused:

10. Deafsoundguy

Okay, really bummed. I went to GC to check out some amps as you guys mentioned. They were closed. They were open a few weeks ago, but not now. So checking out what they actually carry will have to wait until the Andromeda Strain goes away. I'm thinking that they will have the Peavey 20, The Blackstar stuff, Tiny Orange tube guys, maybe something else small, tube, and low power.

Severely bummed about Hughes and Kettner. If you go their website and type in "dealers near me" well nothing in the US even comes up. At least on my computer. I can't find a single "new for sale" Tubemeister 18, let alone something I could actually plug in, H+K product anywhere near me. Like nowhere. I absolutely Love the look of the Tubemeister 18, but it seems to be available only on another planet or used. When it comes to tube stuff, I get really scared of it being broken through the ape-masters of transport or just buying someone elses problem which has happened to me countless times on FeeBay.

First world problems I know... but hey, trying to stimulate the music economy as soon as I can!

Weird parking at GC during normal business hours and my car is the only one in GC's parking lot straight out for 500 feet... Ghost Center. GhostCenter.jpg

11. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

haha!

My wife complains about the noise of the unplugged stratocaster from the other side of the house.

12. CadillacBob

CadillacBob Strat-Talk Member

I used to have the 5W Bugera V5 Amp which had an 8" speaker and was 5 watts. Not a bad little amp but just couldn't get the sound I wanted. I now have a Fender Bassbreaker 007 Combo which is a 7 watt amp with a 10" speaker which I switched out for a Celestion greenback and can get some really nice tones at low volumes. I have a small place as well and have it beside the TV, sometimes I even play while my wife watches TV. Not sure how it works but it does LOL

owenmoney likes this.
  13. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

I think the Tubemeister 18 might have been discontinued and replaced by the 20. I bought my TM 18 used on ebay and had it shipped fromnthe UK. Amazing amp, even more so considering it only cost me $250.

Have you checked out the Palmer Eins?

14. Deafsoundguy

Makes sense, but the 18 was still on the website so thought it was currently in production. I really want to hear the Peavey (you know, 'merican...) but as I said the Hughes is so cool looking... I have a fear that the Fenders will still be too much power for what I want.

HOWEVER... I never have heard of the Palmer stuff. I looked at the Eins and it probably is awesome for what it is. But then I happened to look at the Palmer Drei since I was on the Palmer hunt, as per your suggestion. WOW...so cool. I don't particularly like the 50's lunchbox look but function over form should be given precedence here. This is something that I have to admit is pretty cool, that you can mix or match, by dialing in any of the separate power output tubes any tone in any blend, to hear THAT tube's particular tone and strengths! I may be really late to the party on this amp but am very impressed by the thought given to the design. It's more money than I really want to spend even used, but it seems like the tonal variations of the amp may be worth the money, as well, it's cold war looks might be able to be forgiven if it delivers on tone. And the reviews are sure good!

I'm going to give that some serious thought my friend. Thanks for the tip! :)

-DSG

Cerb likes this.
  15. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

To the OP, I hope this helps :

Tube Amps= yes...mandatory for good tone

Wives= Optional. See also "divorce lawyers".

Home Volume = hella loud

Elvie and Deafsoundguy like this.
  16. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

My Katana is my baby.

Had it longer than any piece of kit I've ever owned (apart from an old MIM Strat and Marshall Microstack that spent 5 years in the loft so don't count!)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  17. Deafsoundguy

Hey guys, thanks again for all your inputs (normal jack please). After a lot of thought I came within a whisker of pulling the trigger on a used Hughes and Kettner, then the same with a used Palmer Drei. But I keep thinking of the Peavey 20Mh. It's made in China which REALLY ticks me off, but it has all the features and reverb too (although I plan on not using the onboard reverb. It just seems like the perfect amp with 1 watt setting, XLR output, blah blah blah. That Palmer is probably the coolest but the more I think about the Soviet cold war look, it just keeps turning me off... And the Palmer being made in Germany I can't help the feeling I'm screwed for parts (experience there).

So right now, what sucks is that there's no place that's open to hear anything and it could be who knows how long. I got itchy "Buy it Now" finger.

SOOO here's the question - does anyone have Fender tube amps AND a Peavey so they can tell me themselves if that Fender clean channel sound can be emulated by the Peavey? If I get the Peavey I'm going to remove that badge and put "Famous Maker"

Lastly, I tried again last night running my processor thru my SS guitar amp of considerable ubiquity and respect. Same processor and same guitar. The SS one just can't hold a candle to the Hot Rod DeVille. I mean it's not even close no matter how much time I tried to make it sound good it just doesn't have that air and warmth that the Fender has even on super low volume. I just worry the (other) Fender stuff will still be too loud and just for Poops and Giggles I'd like a Fender reverb on there just in case I rent it out or something.

Down to Fender versus Peavey.

Thanks

18. viper1955

viper1955 Strat-Talk Member

I have a Super Champ all tube amp from 1985, it does the job well, also on low volume. Nice amp, still in original state, no modifications.

19. Boubou

Boubou Strat-Talker

20. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

I deal with the same thing, my wife can hear an ant fart .. good luck .

jtoomuch and Thrup'ny Bit like this.