Join Strat-Talk Today

Tube Screamer MODS

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by StratPlus97, Dec 8, 2017.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I just picked up a TS5 and I’m noticing a lot of different MODS on YouTube. Where can I find these MODS? Anyone have any suggestions for MODS on TS5 and a TS9?
    This would be my first pedal MOD, and would love to try something?

Thanks!
    Image1512741943.196922.jpg

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Do you have a particular goal in mind or just feel like tinkering?

3. StratPlus97

The latter, yup...just looking to tinker

What do you think? What available? What’s easy, what’s hard?

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd actually check out a kit and leave the TS as-is for now then. You could to the 808 mod, or true bypass, but I'd get a handle on doing this kind of work first. The BYOC Classic Overdrive might be a good one to play with.

5. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

A little off-topic, but I have a TS-5 that I retired because the on/off switch started getting a bit finicky (have to click it a couple times before it stays). I started looking into mods, but then I realized that I barely have enough time to play, so any time I spent modding would mean even less playing. So, do any of you modders want a mostly-functional TS-5?

6. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Strat-Talker

808 mod is a good one. I also did a fat mod to beef up the bass and an asymmetrical clipping mod. I put the fat and clipping mods on switches so I can have stock or modified clipping and tone. I'm getting ready to back in and change the cap for the fat mod; the .22uF cap was too bassy to my ears. I recommend having a few different size caps to boost the frequency you want with a little trial and error.

You can find instructions for these mods all over the internet. I used this: http://tubescreamermods.blogspot.com/

StratPlus97 likes this.
  7. StratPlus97

I would be interested. I’ll PM you.

8. StratPlus97

When you say “this kind of work”, do you mean soldering? I’ve been soldering for a while, and have dealt with capacitors and resistors with soldering pick-guards, and some small electrical hoppy stuff so I know my way around a soldering gun.
    I just have never worked with a pedal. Is there more to this when it comes to pedals?

9. StratPlus97

Whoooooooa, this site is outstanding. Thank you!

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Potentially. Pedals are generally pretty cramped PCB's these days, and it's easy to burn the traces and lift them from the board, so takes some finesse to desolder and solder on them. The kit I mentioned is an 808 clone and would give you plenty of opportunity to try out mods during construction.

thomquietwolf likes this.
  11. StratPlus97

Very cool.
    Thanks for the help and info!

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  12. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Strat-Talker

one thing i do when modding is i replace the op amps with a chip adapter so i can swap in and out different chips. for resistors and capacitors, i cut in half a chip adapter and solder this in too so i can test different values. makes it less stressful on the pcb traces

13. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Strat-Talker

one thing i do when modding is i replace the op amps with a chip adapter so i can swap in and out different chips. for resistors and capacitors, i cut in half a chip adapter and solder this in too so i can test different values. makes it less stressful on the pcb traces

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.