Tune once and done? I don’t believe it.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by dscottyg, May 31, 2021.

1. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Silver Member

Living in a rainforest has it's benefits, our humidity is pretty consistent all year round; 60 to 65%.
    I have found that my Tele does stay in tune slightly better than my Strat when I switch guitars after a week.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  2. kurher

kurher Strat-O-Master

The application and usage are very different compared to a plucked (and fretted) instrument like a guitar.
    While it is a big story, pianos are normally always getting tuned before a recital or a recording.

brians and SalvorHardin like this.
  3. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

I have a couple Strats, the Partscaster has Schaller Lockers, the MIA has stock Fender tuners, and they both go out of tune, every few days, But, Florida, lowest Relative Humidity I've seen all year, so far, and it's 53% inside, in the air conditioning. Plus, I play, I really strum hard. I practice for hours.

Maybe if you live in a place with more stable weather conditions, and play your guitar for 15 minutes, like a polite professional safe-cracker, who's afraid of waking up his cat, your guitar "always stays in tune"...

garbeaj likes this.
  4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Everyone can say and believe what they want, but I have a Tele that has the most stable tuning of any guitar I have ever owned. I can easily play a whole set with it without ever having to tune it.

There are some guitars that just stay in tune better than most.

5. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Under stage lights I usually have to retune after 4-5 songs with my #1

At home, it will stay in tune for a few weeks.

Im sure the LSR and air conditioning have something to do with it.

I use the TC Electronics little clip-on to check before recording

Dibbs likes this.
  6. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

If you play Gene Autry songs on an acoustic all the time, the guitar might stay in tune for a long while. If you play like Richie Havens at Woodstock...maybe not so much.
    I bend the snot out of my strings (at least it seems that way to me)...I tune between every song when practicing or playing out.

Dibbs likes this.
  7. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

I thought the Custom Shop guitars just tuned themselves!:D

8. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

This is the answer.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

I think you've confused the CS guitars with the Gibby Robot... :whistling:

10. StratorTrle

StratorTrle Strat-Talk Member

I got a Vintera modified 50s strat a few months ago. It has locking tuners without the wheel on the back. I've played this thing for hours at a clip, just doesn't come out of tune. 4 springs is the key I think. I can still use trem, but it's stiff. Not decked, probably about 2mm off body. It really doesn't come out of tune. Been doing a lot of jazz and blues shuffles. But I also have grade A authorized dealer set up my stuff. Good guy.

abnormaltoy and Slyy like this.
  11. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-O-Master

This ^^^^.....Humidity plys a big role in tuning stability. A constant RH will keep your guitar in tune. A 5-10% change either side will sharpen or flatten your tuning.

Dibbs likes this.
  12. Slyy

Slyy Strat-Talker

I've noticed it depends primarily on how much string bending I do. I generally have to tune between songs after playing certain solos with lots of bends. When I'm just wood-shedding scales at home (no bends) my guitar stays in tune a LOT longer.

Dibbs likes this.
  13. Slyy

Slyy Strat-Talker

I've been wondering about this.

The trem on my US Performer is decked solid (the way I like it), but tuning stability isn't great for me (after note bends) as I stated in my post above. I have been thinking that I should back off the springs a bit and let it float just a little, in the hope that the bridge will give a little to prevent the string from potentially catching in the nut. Stop bends would be the only issue going this route because the second string would go flat if the bridge was giving.

Maybe there is a compromise where I can get the bridge to float just enough to keep the strings from catching in the nut, but not so much to cause my stop bends to go flat. Thinking some of the trem setters out there will do this? Might give it a try.

14. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

When playing, I'm pretty easy on the guitar, mostly fingerpicking and whatnot. And my guitars are pretty stable tuning-wise. Which is to say that I tune them every time I play and check them regularly during recording or after a few songs. They don't go far out of tune - which is to say, they're out of tune.

Until the weather changes of course. Then all bets are off. And I still retune.

Friends don't let friends play out of tune.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Dibbs likes this.
  15. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

A couple of things come to mind...

1) My 6 in-line tuner guitars stay in tune much better than my 3+3 tuner guitars by a long shot.

2) Since I started lubing all contact areas, all of my guitars stay in tune much better.

3) When I'm playing with a live band, I play more "enthusiastically" than when I'm playing or practicing at home so the odds of going out of tune are much higher when I'm playing with a band.

4) Humidity plays a huge part. It's pretty even humidity were I am in a fairly heavily forested area.

So with all that said, I find my three strats keep almost perfect tune. I use a tuner on My DAW to dial it right in and I have several tuners on my phone for checking tune. My 3+3 guitars always slip out of tune and the Strats keep tune. I just changed some things on the Telecaster, including tuners so that remains to be seen but I expect it'll keep tune as well.

Dibbs likes this.
  16. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

Definitely not myth. My Strat stays very stable for weeks at a time, sometimes even months, and I play the **** out of it. Big bends all the time and digging into the strings hard. It's probably the reason I never felt the need for another Strat, it just always works perfectly. Maybe it's the hard decked bridge, maybe it's the 12-54s, I couldn't tell you. I don't own a tuner either. I can string a guitar up from scratch and land on A440 without a reference note. So I know for sure when a guitar is off. My Les Pauls are pretty good too, but are a bit temperamental.

I'm not sure if this would still be the case if the guitars didn't always stay in the same house under the same conditions.

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Strat-O-Master

Maybe string tension. Pianos hold a total tension of about 20 tons. The structure is much more durable than a guitar, of course. But they respond similarly to humidity and temperature. Generally, a piano will need to be tuned about two months after the heat or AC is turned on; about twice a year if you're that dedicated. Also it should be tuned about two months after it's bought and moved into a location.
    You can tune your guitars as needed. But piano tuners must charge a substancial fee to live.
    HTH

brians likes this.
  18. StratorTrle

StratorTrle Strat-Talk Member

My tech and authorized Fender dealer, does all my setups. All to Fender factory spec's. He set up my Vintage Icon V6, which is a 6 screw trem. NuBone nut and and wilkinson EZ Lok tuners. The tuners are not standard locking, just an extra hole to feed string through and knot it. But he says, totally decking it makes a lot of extra unneeded tension. Harder to play and set up and puts you at an odd angle. He always says 3 springs do not keep it stable enough. If you want tuning stability, 4 is the key to still use trem. He says even if you don't want it to move, use 5, but it's a Strat so you need to keep the trem off the body 2 to 3mm. That Vintage icon v6 and my Fender Vintera modified 50s strat are set up identically. It's very, very rare I have to tune either. Now the Vintera has a 2 point trem and Vintage locking tuners. There's no pinwheel, it locks inside of the tuner. I couldn't tell you the last time I tuned it. Like it's truly stable. I bet you money, if you have 5 springs in keep them and back your screws out to where the most south part of your trem is 2mm off the body. Anymore would be to much for you. Try it, I bet it stays in tune better and just generally feels better.

19. daytonian

daytonian Strat-Talker

I have an Japanese Ibanez Prestige that will stay in tune for 2 weeks with limited play. My Reverend Sixgun holds tune much better that my Fender Strat and Hwy One Tele.

20. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

thats because your ear sucks and you couldnt tell if a guitar was out of tune to save your life.
    while youre playing your "in tune" guitar, everyone else within earshot is suffering. my mom even couldnt stand it when you tried to serenade her.
    :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky: